Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire to Sapphire Preferred?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Chase Sapphire to Sapphire Preferred?

Long before I stumbled upon this forum and became enlightened, I upgraded my Chase Freedom to a Chase Sapphire card (I just wanted the Visa Signature concierge service to make a couple reservations while I was out of the country). I didn't get any bonus and I've recently seen the Sapphire Preferred with a 50k bonus—is there any way I can move from the Sapphire to Sapphire Preferred and get a bonus? Or at the very least, avoid the first year fee?

Any insight is much appreciated.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:25 pm
In memoriam

Forget the transfer thing. Not a good idea.

Instead, just apply for the Sapphire Preferred with 50K bonus. Assuming your payment record on the regular Sapphire is good and your credit is okay you should get it with no problem.

Meet spend requirements ($5K?) and collect bonus.

Then, apply for the INK Bold biz card and get 50K more points. @:-)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, biggestbopper! I was unaware i could apply for the Sapphire Preferred and get the bonus if I'm already a Sapphire member. Will try it and report back.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:09 pm
In memoriam

You are very welcome.

I did the close regular Sapphire to get Sapphire Preferred thing a few months ago.

Keep in mind that you may get turned down for the Sapphire Preferred at first and, once you get the turn down notice, you may need to call Chase for reconsideration and closing of your regular Sapphire account.

Or, just close it now--after being sure that you have extracted all the points in the regular Sapphire account (can be done via gas or other gift cards, and Chase's shipment of the gift card is very fast) so you don't lose them. While I have read that the regular Chase Sapphire points can be converted somehow to the Sapphire Preferred points I am unclear on how to do it and I just cashed my regular points out).
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Assuming one does not care about the 50K bonus points (or the bonus points are no longer offered at the time), is it possible to just call Chase, pay a $95 fee, and "upgrade" your Sapphire to a Sapphire Preferred?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In general, USA card issuers will no longer upgrade cards during the first 12 months after issue. This is their conservative interpretation of the CARD Act which bans annual fee increases before the first renewal.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
In general, USA card issuers will no longer upgrade cards during the first 12 months after issue. This is their conservative interpretation of the CARD Act which bans annual fee increases before the first renewal.
Ok, so after I have had the card for >= 12 months, I guess it's okay.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:03 pm

In my recent experiences, Mia is spot on ( as usual). CSRs told me that the CARD act prevents me from simply upgrading for 12 months. I don't see how they come to this conclusion if I ask to upgrade, but I assume it's legalese and bureaucracy.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Keep in mind that you may get turned down for the Sapphire Preferred at first and, once you get the turn down notice, you may need to call Chase for reconsideration and closing of your regular Sapphire account.

Or, just close it now--after being sure that you have extracted all the points in the regular Sapphire account (can be done via gas or other gift cards, and Chase's shipment of the gift card is very fast) so you don't lose them. While I have read that the regular Chase Sapphire points can be converted somehow to the Sapphire Preferred points I am unclear on how to do it and I just cashed my regular points out).
I was told yesterday by the reconsideration line agent that I'd need to close my "regular" sapphire to get the preferred that I had applied for last month. Unfortunately, I only have until tomorrow to figure things out (there was a delay in getting my denial letter).

Anyone else with recent experience switching a sapphire to a sapphire preferred (or being told they can't)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.