Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is signing up for Amazon Chase card a bad idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi.

I was about to make a purchase via Amazon, and they are offering 30 dollars off the purchase price if I sign up for an Amazon Chase card.

If I take advantage of this, would it make it difficult to get a Chase airline mileage card in the forseeable future because of recent application issues? If so, it would not be worth the thirty bucks I would save.

I have excellent credit.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
There are so many travel cards out there, each worth well over $500... why would you risk it?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by protagonist
Hi.

I was about to make a purchase via Amazon, and they are offering 30 dollars off the purchase price if I sign up for an Amazon Chase card.

If I take advantage of this, would it make it difficult to get a Chase airline mileage card in the forseeable future because of recent application issues? If so, it would not be worth the thirty bucks I would save.

I have excellent credit.

Thanks.
My guess would be that Chase would frown upon the recent string of apps. If you're trying to save $30, why not go with a cash back card that has a more lucrative signup bonus? $30 is a complete joke for a hard pull.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Does anyone know if the 3x points you get on the Chase Amazon can be applied towards their rewards program? This is assuming you have a saphire card as well...

If so, this would be an OKAY deal if you shop frequently at Amazon.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:31 am
Original Poster

That makes sense. I won't get the card. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Chase does seem to care a lot about the total amount of credit limits is gives a consumer but less so about the total number of cards. The consensus seems to be that amazon purchases are best made on a CITI card that offers thank you points but the problem with CITI is 1) most limits on the forward card are very low and 2) TY points are subject to devaluation.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lakers6902
Does anyone know if the 3x points you get on the Chase Amazon can be applied towards their rewards program?
If "their rewards program" refers to Chase Ultimate Rewards, the answer is "generally not". I was able to have Amazon points transferred to Ultimate Rewards on an exception basis after Chase removed the option to redeem Amazon points for BA miles, but it posted as a "courtesy adjustment" and I was told it could not be done ongoing.

We switched our Amazon spending to Citi Forward.

Last edited by mia; Nov 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
In so many ways, the citi Forward is an excellent card. For some reason, some of us have been un-de-valued (revalued? plusvalued?) by citi recently - suddenly my ThankYou Points are worth 1:1 toward student loans again. I can't wait to unload the rest of this student loan debt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.