Wiki Posts
Search

Panama Canal visitor center

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA DL
Panama Canal visitor center

With the opening of the new locks, has the location of the visitor center changed? Is there a viewing platform at the new locks? Anyone been there yet?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:39 pm

My understanding is that the old locks will still be used for Panamax boats, while the new ones will accept the larger Post-Panamax ones. i may be wrong, though.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA
I've seen no news on a new Visitor's center on the Pacific side, but I won't claim to be a definitive source.

However, there is a new center on the Atlantic side that has been present since the construction began there. It gives a good view of the new larger locks, and I think the panorama there is better than Miraflores. The facilities are pretty nice, just a film viewing room and the overlook and a restaurant, no museum. I assume it is going to remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.