Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Things to do in Costa Rica

Good morning everyone! I'm planning a backpacking trip to Costa Rica for 2 weeks at the end of March, I was hoping to find out the best hikes, waterfalls, hotsprings, beaches to visit, places to eat, hostels to stay. I've done a bit of research and found I'm most likely leaning towards Arenal and Fortuna. Hoping to do the most with my time there. Has anyone been here and have any tips.

Much appreciated! - Linda
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Your questions are so broad, they're difficult to answer.

You do realize that Arenal and Fortuna are essentially the same place? La Fortuna is the town; Arenal is the volcano and is the shorthand for the area. There's a lot to do there, but it would be hard to fill up two weeks.

For a reasonably affordable beach experience:

Puerto Viejo and Cahuita on the south Caribbean coast have a very different feel to them than the rest of Costa Rica.

Dominical on the Central Pacific coast is one of my favorite beach towns.

Manuel Antonio is very popular. The area is best known for its national park, but there's a ton of things to do, and a lot of good restaurants and a wide range of accommodation to fit all budgets.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

I think that you'd be hard pressed to fill more than 5-7 days or so in the Arenal/La Fortuna area. I'd also budget 3-4 days or so for Manuel Antonio/Quepos, and Carara/Jaco plus a day to get from La Fortuna to Quepos

That's a starting point - the rest depends upon how much time you want to spend at the beach and if you want to get away from the tourist infrastructure.

Corcovado on the Pacific by the Panama border is a great park, but it's remote from everywhere else and it will take another day to get to/from it to San Jose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.