Search

Guatemala Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Guatemala Trip Report

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share with you the article I wrote about my trip to Guatemala earlier this year. Article just came out on The AP. I know there may be a policy against linking to an outside source, and this trip report is not really mileage program related, but since there's scant little on Guatemala anywhere, I figured I would post anyway.

Enjoy:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/guate...reful-planning
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I am glad your instincts kicked in and you decided to go to Guatemala. It is a beautiful country, closer to a lot of Americans than Los Angeles or Boston is, with much more to offer. Yes, all of Central America has crime statistics that frighten, but unless you are a part of the drug trade the likelihood you will even see the crime, let alone be caught up in it, is low.

The tourist infrastructure in Guatemala City, Antigua, Atitlan and Tikal is very good. If you feel like staying in 4* hotels, traveling in private cars with English-speaking guides, and eating at luxury restaurants you can do so in any or all of these cities. If you are more adventurous there are even more gems to be had in the secondary cities, which do lack some of the high-end comforts, but make up for it in charm.

I would encourage everyone to visit Guatemala.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, JetSmarter Simple, BA Silver, UA Premier Silver
What gems would you recommend?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
That's my country and grew up there until I was 14, then moved to the states. I have been to all those places in the article and some others. The one thing I miss is the food, most of my family is still there and every time we go visit they make all the things I miss.
-One of the gems I could recommend is the park Xetulul, more of a theme park but with nice hotels. located in Retalhuleu, Guatemala and near other Mayan ruins that are said to be older than Tikal, called Takalik Abaj.

-Another gem would be the town of Esquipula, located near the border with Honduras is not really a touristy town but more of a religious town. Here you can find The Black Christ. Also near this town you can climb up the volcano Ipala, a couple of hours hike up and then you will see that the crater is now a lake. You can swim is you dare or just enjoy the view.
Another Mayan ruin place probably around an hour from Zacapa, are the ruins of Quirigua.

-Also I would recommend the Castillo San Felipe. If you have ever been to Florida and seen the Castillo San Marcos, this one is similar but smaller.
From there you can take a boat to the town of Livingston and enjoy the nice hotel on the Caribbean see.

I can recommend other places but I have to go now..safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.