Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamarindo condos lodging deal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Tamarindo condos lodging deal

Costa Rica Tamarindo seems like a good deal: http://www.tripalertz.com/deals/deta...Weekly%2B29-03
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:23 pm
Suspended

$99 a night is nothing special for Tamarindo. I was in a perfectly nice place called Villas Macondo in early December for $45 a night, and I could have stayed in any number of nice places for under $70 a night. There is an over-supply of rooms presently in Tamarindo.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Talking

The deal was for that specific property, a well-rated 2b/2b condo with a kitchen, and IS a good price. To compare apples and apples, your Villas Macando has rates of $120/night for a 2b/2b apartment.
So, don't shoot the messenger; it seems rather petty to jump in and denigrate someone's attempt to post helpful info.

("You want to stay at the GEORGE V?! Even if that's 40% off, you can get a bed in a nice hostel in Paris for a tenth of that!")
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:35 pm
Suspended

I wasn't shooting the messenger, I was shooting the message. I did not denigrate you, I denigrated the deal that was posted, because it is nothing special.

The rate is nothing special, but the fact is, what makes that deal not so great is the long term non-cancelability of it. Tamarindo presently has a big glut of rooms, and I would not book anything that was non-cancelable for more than a day or two without getting there and physically checking out what I was booking on site. The site you linked is attempting to create an impression of urgency to lock in this spectacular deal now, or it will be gone in a flash. It is not a special enough deal to warrant booking something non-cancelable in an area where there is presently a pervasive oversupply of rooms. Frankly, when I personally got to Tamarindo, my impression of the town and the beach, relative to other nearby towns and beaches, is that I was glad I had not locked myself into being in Tamarindo for more than a couple of days.

Last edited by DJGMaster1; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Tamarindo is not my preference, either, but it is very popular. And, if you are like many many people, and prefer to reserve your lodging in advance rather than wander around a strange town with jet lag, a nice 2/2 condo in Tamarindo, or Brasilito, or Flamingo (well, it would be a screaming deal in Flamingo) for $99 is a good deal. I spent a very long time researching places in the area a few months ago, and this is significantly cheaper than a lot of hotel rooms. (Like the popular Hotel Capitan Suizo) YOu might find a 2/2 condo through VRBO for <$100/night, but it would certainly end up costing more by the time all the inevitable surcharges are added.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Tamarindo is not my preference, either, but it is very popular. And, if you are like many many people, and prefer to reserve your lodging in advance rather than wander around a strange town with jet lag, a nice 2/2 condo in Tamarindo, or Brasilito, or Flamingo (well, it would be a screaming deal in Flamingo) for $99 is a good deal. I spent a very long time researching places in the area a few months ago, and this is significantly cheaper than a lot of hotel rooms. (Like the popular Hotel Capitan Suizo) YOu might find a 2/2 condo through VRBO for <$100/night, but it would certainly end up costing more by the time all the inevitable surcharges are added.
I suspect that Tamarindo is only popular because people have heard of it, and they see it advertised, and they see a large number of options for cheap. But I personally was pleased that I had not locked in a lengthy stay in Tamarindo, because it took me only a day in the area to realize how much nicer Playa Flamingo was, and I spent three days there that I had originally expected to spend in Tamarindo, and had I been locked into my stay, I would not have been able to do this.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Agree totally; visited Tamarindo, and was relieved to have chosen Brasilito (great location for Flamingo and Conchal).
May I ask, did you get any kind of a deal for Flamingo (beach vs. harbor)? If we go back, I'd love a recommendation!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Agree totally; visited Tamarindo, and was relieved to have chosen Brasilito (great location for Flamingo and Conchal).
May I ask, did you get any kind of a deal for Flamingo (beach vs. harbor)? If we go back, I'd love a recommendation!
I got a really good deal as a walk-in at the Flamingo Beach Resort: $65 a night not taking the all-inclusive option, for one person. They happened to have vacancies and I was giving them an opportunity to fill an otherwise vacant room for 3 weekday nights right there. I have never seen a rate anywhere near this low for that place, and I doubt you could get it for an advance booking.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I'd be more comfortable now, trying for last-minute lodging, than I might have on a first or second trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.