Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late day SJO: Arenal - Arenal.net?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Late day SJO: Arenal - Arenal.net?

Looking to book an afternoon shuttle from SJO to Arenal - and other various shuttles during a week long trip to Costa Rica. I see online that I can book a 3:00pm departure from SJO to Arenal through the website Arenal.net.

Anyone here have experience with them? Any other late day shuttles to Arenal?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The two big shuttle companies are:

Gray Line Costa Rica - www.graylinecostarica.com - and Interbus - www.interbusonline.com

Interbus appears to have a 2:30 shuttle to Arenal/La Fortuna. Neither calls at SJO airport itself. You'd probably have to get yourself to one of the hotels across the highway, such as the Hampton Inn.

Both are good for getting you around Costa Rica.

I have no experience with Arenal.net
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! - Any idea how long we should plan for customs?

My flight arrives at 1:00pm while my friend arrives on another flight at 12:50 - (so at least 2 international flights landing withing 10 minutes of each other).

Since posting, I've found that Interbus also has a shuttle that leaves at 3:00pm....
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sl1029

My flight arrives at 1:00pm while my friend arrives on another flight at 12:50 - (so at least 2 international flights landing withing 10 minutes of each other).

Since posting, I've found that Interbus also has a shuttle that leaves at 3:00pm....
I've used Interbus several times and have been happy with them.

The company I use to book Interbus shuttles is Anywhere Costa Rica. You can google them to find their website.

For other things in the Arenal area such as tours & hotels, I've done business with a company called Welcome Fortuna. No problems with them. Enjoy CR!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by sl1029
SJO can be a breeze or it can be a zoo. After years of flying in and out of here, I've decided there's never any way to predict.

Thirty minutes for immigration, baggage claim, and customs is a good benchmark, but allow yourself more time just to be on the safe side. (I've had it take much longer, but that's not common.) If it's less, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
Since opening the new immigrations area down the stairs near gate 6 in early May, times to clear have improved quite a bit. 30 minutes as stated above is a good benchmark, and I think will leave you with some time to shop the duty free at the baggage claim area.

Chances are that it will be raining in the afternoon this time of year, so it is great that you are leaving the driving to someone else. It can be a very trying adventure in the rain.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Arenal.net is an agent, I'm pretty sure they don't actually run the shuttles. From what I could tell, they are large and well known, and probably as good as any. My wife and daughter used Interbus, I don't remember who we booked it through, but they had no problems. You will have to take a cab to the restaurant nearby that they use as their 'station'. And the cabbie won't be thrilled about a 1/2 mile fare either, but so it goes. The last time we went, customs took about 2 minutes. With customs, immigration, and baggage claim, we were out of the airport within 15-20 minutes of getting off the plane. As previously stated, that probably varies depending on how many flights arrive at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.