Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica Exit Fee - Surprise On Credit Card Bill

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Costa Rica Exit Fee - Surprise On Credit Card Bill

I'm not certain if this is limited to Costa Rica or if it applies elsewhere. The government allows you to put the exit fee on a Visa or Mastercard. However, they don't mention that it will be processed as a cash advance.

When I received my Visa bill this month I saw the charge for $54.70. However, I was also assessed a $10 minimum cash advance fee and a $1.50 minimum interest charge. I was able to get these charges removed after a lengthy wait.

Next time I ask and/or pay cash.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold
AFAIK its up to the bank to decide what is /is not considered a 'cash advance', in other words , the transaction has a 'transaction code' which explains to the bank what it is say 'phone/cable' , 'food' , etc etc and depending on such codes they decide if they consider it a cash advance or not

I work in an industry that sometimes had to deal with this issue and it ultimately boils down to the issuing bank
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
signs

At some of the stations they now have a sign in English that says your bank may treat the transaction as a cash advance. Not sure when I first saw them but they are fairly recent.

At many of the hotels you can also pay your exit fee - $29 vs $26 but if you add to your hotel bill, you may get points as it is another "incidental" charge to your room account.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by avja
I'm not certain if this is limited to Costa Rica or if it applies elsewhere. The government allows you to put the exit fee on a Visa or Mastercard. However, they don't mention that it will be processed as a cash advance.

When I received my Visa bill this month I saw the charge for $54.70. However, I was also assessed a $10 minimum cash advance fee and a $1.50 minimum interest charge. I was able to get these charges removed after a lengthy wait.

I had the same thing happen leaving San Jose in Dec. 08 - there were no signs or anything about it being a cash advance at that time either. Nor was there any requirement to enter a PIN. I filed a dispute with my credit card company and was able to get the cash advance fee and associated interest charges reversed.

I've paid my exit fee at EZE with a credit card several times, so as far as I know this is a Costa Rican issue...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The signs advising of the cash advance processing are up at every counter now, but it hasn't always been that way.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by avja

Cash is always the best way to go in paying the exit tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.