Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hire a maid and earn points! (In HK only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hire a maid and earn points! (In HK only)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mdevans
The permanant resident ID card does not always have 3 stars on the back. This is, if I remember correctly, requires that you are of chinese descent and were born in Hong Kong.
umm.. I have plenty of friends who have 3 stars and are not chinese... just requires that you live in HK for 7 years or more and you get permanent residence and a permanent ID card... Regardless, the whole point of my rant is that it clearly states on the sign above the immigration counter as Hong Kong Permanent Idenity Card.. If you don't have one, you shouldn't go there...
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
We are way off topic here, but, tfung, you may find these pages helpful:
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_frontinfo.htm
describes what the * and *** markings mean - essentially it shows eligibility for a HK Re-entry permit.
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hktraveldoc_2_rp.htm
defines who is eligible for the HK Re-entry Permit. From which:

"ELIGIBILITY

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Re-entry Permits are issued to the following Hong Kong residents for travel to the mainland of China and Macau Special Administrative Region:

* Chinese Citizens who have either acquired the right of abode or been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong; and
* Persons not of Chinese nationality who have been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong but cannot obtain national passports or travel documents of any other countries or regions."

So anyone who has *** on their HKID must be:
- over 18, AND
- eligible for a HK Re-entry Permit, which means:
- a Chinese citizen with RoA or unconditional stay in HK, OR
- people with RoA or unconditional stay who are otherwise stateless (this essentially means people who are refugees or second+ generation non-Chinese immigrants).

I cannot see any way that these rules allow for a non-Chinese holding another citizenship/passport to have *** on their HKID card.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by tfung
I always want to slap the people who go through the permanent resident line with their kids and helpers... Sure, one in their group may have a permanent ID, but the others do not. They should all go to the resident line instead of holding up the permanent ID line...I wish the immigration officers would let the parents go through and send the kids to the other lines to teach the parents a lesson...
i COMPLETLY agree. i dont know the relevant immigration rules, but if you are not a PR, then dont be in that line.

that line is not PR + guests.

i always avoid lines with domestic helpers, foreigners (chances are they are in the wrong line) and kids. and the agents are too nice, they really should send wrong queuers back to the residents/visitors line.

Last edited by marcuslai; Jan 22, 2006 at 10:31 pm
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:04 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Anyways, back on topic here... While the bonus miles are nice, Cathay fares for to MNL are usually quite high compared to other airlines.. Phillipine Airlines and Cebu have fares for domestic helpers and I think a roundtrip ticket to MNL for them on those airlines are usually about $1000-$1300.... while CX is at least 30% more...
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:13 am

Anyways, back on topic here... While the bonus miles are nice, Cathay fares for to MNL are usually quite high compared to other airlines.. Phillipine Airlines and Cebu have fares for domestic helpers and I think a roundtrip ticket to MNL for them on those airlines are usually about $1000-$1300.... while CX is at least 30% more...
Agree that CX is not a good deal. If those are the correct fares for 5J and PR, then CX is easily 50%+ more, according to the CX website. Now, 5J has a special everday low fare between HKG and MNL for less than HK$1000, but good luck finding a travel agent willing to book it for you.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
CX's lowest RT labour fare HKG-MNL is HK$1360+tax in low season, but rising rapidly at busier times. The cheapest high season RT fare is HK$2500+tax.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
The resident ID card only has 1 star, and just says you are a resident of hong kong. You only get a permanent idenity card if you are 18 or over, thus I do not consider any child to be a permanent resident. When a child enters hong kong, they need their resident ID card as well as their passport and arrivals card.
This is of course way off topic, but just to clarify a few misconceptions:

I have a resident ID card without any stars, as do many people. Christep's link explains further. Specifically, 1-star ID cards would only be held by 11 to 17 year olds (which I definitely am not!!), and from what I can tell, I would additionally either have to be Chinese or unable to hold a passport of any other nationality

Resident children can enter with just their passports, in fact. My 2 year old son regularly does. He is not eligible to apply for an ID card until he is 11, but he is also not required to have an arrivals/departures card.

I actually find the status of children under 18 in Hong Kong to be quite strange, with regards to their residency. However, I am happy to continue to use the Residents' line even when our PR comes through, so as not to "burden" the PR line with my disenfranchised under-18 year old children. From my observation, the Residents lines are usually shorter and move faster

Perhaps those who dislike delays in the PR line so much should try the e-channel with Smart ID card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.