Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2003, 1:53 pm
J S
Original Poster

Upgrades

First, a compliment to Asia Miles: I am very impressed with the agents on the phone. Not only do they answer the phone immediately, but they are helpful, knowledgeable, and polite...everyone of them! They are head and shoulders above people at the elite call centers of other airlines. Yesterday, when I was disconnected and called back, I was blown away to be immediately transferred to the representative with whom I had been speaking. amazing.

Now my questions for your collective wisdom:

I am flying from the U.S. to the Middle East connecting in London. The U.S.-London (return) segments are on AA (and upgraded using AA miles). The LHR-Middle East-LHR segments are on BA. I bought the tickets from AA and am upgrading the BA segments through Asia Miles. The upgrade space is reserved and I faxed a copy of my tickets to Asia Miles yesterday. They told me that I will receive a voucher of some sort in the mail and then should cancel the economy ticket. Here are my questions:

1) I will be checking in in U.S. for the outbound flight. Will AA know what to do with the voucher?

2) If I cancel the economy reservation, what
will happen when I get to the airport to check in?

3) Will I be able to check my bags through if I do this?

4) Can I take my tickets and voucher to a Cathay Pacific, AA or BA ticket counter and convert them into a business class ticket in advance of my travel date?

5) Is there anything else that I need to know?

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
J S
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:09 pm

J S,

Going by my past experience with upgrading, let me share my experiences with you

Q: I will be checking in in U.S. for the outbound flight. Will AA know what to do with the voucher?

Your British Airways reservations will be booked as U class (Business Class redemption) since you have used your miles for an upgrade. You are correct in saying that the Economy Class booking will be cancelled. If AA does not recognise your upgrade booking, then allow them to check you through to your final destination (so your bags are transfered at LHR) and then get BA at LHR to issue you the upgraded boarding pass. Make sure you have the MCO voucher from Asia Miles with you or otherwise they can refuse you the upgrade.

Q: If I cancel the economy reservation, what will happen when I get to the airport to check in?

The standard procedure for upgrades is to cancel the original Economy Class booking. If AA gives you trouble at the airport, then your ticket clearly shows the Economy Class sector booking so it shouldn't be a problem.

Q: Will I be able to check my bags through if I do this?

As mentioned above, let AA through check your bags to your final destination and if they are unsure about the upgrade from LHR on BA sector, then get them to issue you an Economy Class boarding pass and then sort this out at LHR with BA.

Q: Can I take my tickets and voucher to a Cathay Pacific, AA or BA ticket counter and convert them into a business class ticket in advance of my travel date?

No, your tickets cannot be converted to a business class ticket. This is the reason why they issue a MCO voucher and also, why would they want to re-issue a ticket again as it is costly and time consuming. Hold on to your tickets and MCO upgrade vouchers.

Q:Is there anything else that I need to know?

I have pretty much covered all the details you need to know. Have a enjoyable trip with AA and BA and please provide a trip report once you have commenced your journey. We would like to know your experience with the upgrade vouchers at AA and BA check-in. Do keep us update.

Happy Flying.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
In addition to cx_mpo's answer, may I add that it is suggested that you staple the MCO coupon to the front of your existing coupon of the BA ticket. If it is a return flight, make sure that MCO coupon 1 is attached to the BA sector and the corresponding coupon attached to the other BA flight if any.

You must retain all boarding pass and relevant info from CX as the BA booking class is booked in U class and from experience, one must process the credit of this flight manually when crediting to any other FF other than Asiamiles!

AA should be able to see the corresponding booking on their check-in system and should be able to check you through.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:41 pm
J S
Original Poster

First, thank you both for the great responses.

I assume that I will get 2 MCO's from Cathay (one out bound and one return)? If so, the return I will give to BA in India. If AA issues me a boarding pass in New York, do I give the MCO to them? Will BA hassle me for it at LHR?

Thanks again.
-J S
Old Apr 5, 2003, 6:09 pm

J S, It's our pleasure.

Yes, you will receive 2 MCO's from CX Asia Miles. On the return sector, you will give the MCO number 2 to BA checkin staff at India.

As for your outbound sector commencing in United States, check with the check-in staff to see if they need to collect the MCO at the US port of departure or you need to confirm the upgrade at LHR as per my previous response.

If you are not issued with a BA J class boarding pass in USA then I would not surrender the MCO to AA check-in staff - best to keep it until you get to LHR (all about peace of mind).

Have a pleasant flight.

cx_mpo

Old Apr 5, 2003, 7:04 pm

If AA can issue BA boarding passes, wouldn't AA staff just staple/attach J S's BA tciekt coupons and MCOs to corresponding BA boarding passes, not collect them?

A passenger, for one reason or another, may terminate a trip on the way. I've never had the originating airport staff 'collecting' ticket coupons and MCOs for connecting flights.

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 04-05-2003).]
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cx_mpo:
J S, It's our pleasure.
Have a pleasant flight.

cx_mpo

</font>
CX_MPO - do you mean you represent CX and/or MPO or is that just your handle and you are only here as a private individual?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.