Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flight Number Change For Summer HKG-SUB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Hi Folks

This question is for nothing more than curiosity. After flying many years from HKG-SUB on CX, be it annually, bi-annually or more for the past 12 years, the CX flight on the HKG-SUB route has always had the same flight number CX781 with ex SUB being CX780.

I noticed the other day ( when having nothing better to do) that the outgoing flight has now changed to CX779 but this seems to revert back to CX781 for the winter schedule. Admittedly, on checking, there is also a 15 minute time change for the summer/winter schedule in that during the winter timetable, the flight departs 15 minutes earlier but still arrives at destination at the same time.

Is is this normal practice for CX to change flight numbers during different seasons and minor timetable departure time differences? As said, for nothing more than curiosity, although explains why I couldn't get any results on FR24 when searching for CX781 the other day

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:54 pm

HK ATC will sometimes request flight number changes if there are other aircraft arriving/departing at a similar time with the same or similar sounding flight number. AKL lost 107 to a clash with Air China a few years ago (now 197) and BNE/CNS lost 102 for 146. There are other examples.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The most classic and recognizable example was when BA was forced to retire its long serving BA26 flight number due to its similarity with CX261.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Top of climb
HK ATC will sometimes request flight number changes if there are other aircraft arriving/departing at a similar time with the same or similar sounding flight number. AKL lost 107 to a clash with Air China a few years ago (now 197) and BNE/CNS lost 102 for 146. There are other examples.
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The most classic and recognizable example was when BA was forced to retire its long serving BA26 flight number due to its similarity with CX261.
That makes sense now. Forgot all about poor BA26.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.