Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Accrue miles on Asia Miles/Marco Polo vs. Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accrue miles on Asia Miles/Marco Polo vs. Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nolounge
Unless you work for AM, how do you know there won't be an equal chance of it happening to Asia Miles?
You are correct - I don't know the chance.

But while the future is uncertain, given AS (not AM) has done that before, I tend to believe AS will pull this stunt again.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by garykung
You are correct - I don't know the chance.

But while the future is uncertain, given AS (not AM) has done that before, I tend to believe AS will pull this stunt again.
Marco Polo's devaluation of AA earning rate was not overnight but was done with very little notice.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Marco Polo's devaluation of AA earning rate was not overnight but was done with very little notice.
Earning is very different from redemption.

At the minimum, in the case of AA earning reduction, those impacted can choose to deposit the miles somewhere else. In the case of AS's devaluation, your only choice is to use more miles.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Earning is very different from redemption.

At the minimum, in the case of AA earning reduction, those impacted can choose to deposit the miles somewhere else. In the case of AS's devaluation, your only choice is to use more miles.
I agree that earning is different to redemption. However, the direction of travel by Cathay is clear. Some people may have booked the American flights in the expectation of a certain earning rate on Asia Miles.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I agree that earning is different to redemption. However, the direction of travel by Cathay is clear. Some people may have booked the American flights in the expectation of a certain earning rate on Asia Miles.
Yes, you are also correct.

The main reason why it is different - AS is a sudden price hike. AM is a sudden earning reduction. To a reasonable person - AS is more likely to do another sudden price hike, and AM is more likely to do another sudden earning reduction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.