Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does CX only keep D or lower premium fare to its own channel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, MM Senator, FB Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold

i recently started flying CX and there have been several cases already that the corporate travel agent (same for ITA Matrix as well) can only see J fare for HKG-LHR route while D fare (much cheaper than J ) is actually available on CX's own website. It seems for some reasons that CX does not release lower premium fare to external channels (in these limited cases).

I have not tried this for other routes but I am just curious (as I am new to CX) whether it is widely the case for CX to keep the lower premium fare to its own channel. thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
My old company's TA was able to book D and I fares. So unless something has changed now, it may just be your TA's problem.

However, there are indeed promotional I fares that are available on CX's web site only.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
ITA Matrix / Google Flights typically do not show discounted CX fares. Has always been the case.

However, a TA not able to find D fare means you....Need to change your travel agent.

As cxfan above mentions, web special I fares cannot be accessed by TAs, but often D fare at many ourports is almost the same anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:59 pm

I assume your travel agent is not based in HK/Asia? Some foreign TAs cant see anything other than fully flexible fares on CX. We use a global travel agent and the London office can never see discounted CX fares, we have to ask the HK rep to do it.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by 1010101
I assume your travel agent is not based in HK/Asia? Some foreign TAs cant see anything other than fully flexible fares on CX. We use a global travel agent and the London office can never see discounted CX fares, we have to ask the HK rep to do it.
Agreed. The point of sale can be a limiting factor on your fare availability. Especially on a route lhr-hkg.

Other option is to use the HKG version of the CX website to try and buy it that way.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I found that D and I fares can be booked through the correct agent not just CX...

I fares are usually only available online on OTAs when there are sales, I have never encountered a traditional TA who was able to give me an I fare since it usually books as a D fare (but the difference is sometimes just 50-100 USD based on the sub-bucket). Agreed with the others that say try a different agent or one based in the Asia-pacific region (HK, MNL, BKK, TPE).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I found that D and I fares can be booked through the correct agent not just CX...

I fares are usually only available online on OTAs when there are sales, I have never encountered a traditional TA who was able to give me an I fare since it usually books as a D fare (but the difference is sometimes just 50-100 USD based on the sub-bucket). Agreed with the others that say try a different agent or one based in the Asia-pacific region (HK, MNL, BKK, TPE).
Bolding mine - would appreciate if you could clarify this point. Am I understanding this correctly: You are saying that there are no "traditional" TA's that will get you I fares, but OTAs might?

Reason I'm asking is cause while my local HK agent can get me D class, he failed at booking me into I class ex-CAN. Time to change TA, or does this make sense?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Some I fares are available when booked jointly with a hotel or a tour.
And the POS is important for availability.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, MM Senator, FB Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
thank you guys for all your inputs - really helpful. Yes, the TA is based in London and it always quotes me with J fare even I can see D fare available on CX's website. When I challenged the quote, it showed me the screenshot of ITA Matrix, J indeed being the cheapest fare. For some reasons, this TA (and ITA Matrix in this case) just cannot get D fare (based on the conversations, I think it genuinely cannot see D fare, not because it wants to sell higher priced ticket) , which is quite annoying.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by gpia
Bolding mine - would appreciate if you could clarify this point. Am I understanding this correctly: You are saying that there are no "traditional" TA's that will get you I fares, but OTAs might?

Reason I'm asking is cause while my local HK agent can get me D class, he failed at booking me into I class ex-CAN. Time to change TA, or does this make sense?
To answer this, yes... some OTAs do sell I fares, and I have been able to book these fares. It can even be cheaper than the ones on CX due to currency conversions (i.e. some OTAs can charge in a different currency other than USD or USD or HKD and save you on conversion fees). Though sometimes you get a real deal like my upcoming trip which saved me around 40% over the same fare on CX (most likely the OTA forgot to add the correct commission/add-on rate... but they did honor the ticket and I do have an e-ticket issued and my card charged).

But I really would like to know if there are traditional TAs who can book I fares, I may just not have encountered one? Maybe an HK based one?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by littletiger
thank you guys for all your inputs - really helpful. Yes, the TA is based in London and it always quotes me with J fare even I can see D fare available on CX's website. When I challenged the quote, it showed me the screenshot of ITA Matrix, J indeed being the cheapest fare. For some reasons, this TA (and ITA Matrix in this case) just cannot get D fare (based on the conversations, I think it genuinely cannot see D fare, not because it wants to sell higher priced ticket) , which is quite annoying.
You need to call/email the HK office of the agent, if they have one. Or use a different agent. If you have no choice but to use the London agent then there's nothing you can do. They cannot see the D fare availability.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:00 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
ITA Matrix (and accordingly Google Flights) doesn't list the discount J class fares. I don't know why CX doesn't allow them to be listed because now that people are increasingly using comparison web sites, they are going to lose a lot of business that way.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
ITA Matrix (and accordingly Google Flights) doesn't list the discount J class fares. I don't know why CX doesn't allow them to be listed because now that people are increasingly using comparison web sites, they are going to lose a lot of business that way.
ita gets restricted for some pos only. I recently checked ex fra and japan n were ok. Ex hkg wasnt
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I often check price using skyscanner, ita, ctrip CN and official site before placing order...

Any more suggestion?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:11 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
It might be an idea to have a couple of travel agents (i.e. one in UK, one in HKG). When I've flown beyond London (I'm HKG based) sometimes I book CX HKG-LHR from HKG then use a UK travel agent to book the next leg on a cheaper BA fare than possible to get from HKG.
The booking system knows where you enquire from and so limits fare classes (same thing happens if I try to book a BA flight LHR-Africa or LGW-Carribean online from HKG - it just gives me expensive fare classes)
Sometimes splitting the booking can save quite a bit. Other times there's little difference (making the risk of a missed connection due to late originating flight not worthwhile), in which case I probably have to book the entire thing with BA (rather than HKG-LHR on CX, then LON-??? on BA)
Note: I'm talking here usually of Economy or PEY, rather than C/J/D/I - but I assume the same principle applies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.