Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Dragon vs Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Thanks for the info. I have also gathered KA catering is far superior to CX. What will be interesting to see is with the big catering changes at the end of the year how much things will be enhanced on KA. I don't see why they can't serve a proper dessert? Maybe we will see this change now with all the new enhancements coming.
I do not know which will provide better catering , but will let you know in June/July as I am flying CX To PEK/BKK In J/F
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I say the biggest difference is Cathay Dragon doesn't have Cathy Delight.

I also feel special in their A319 J cabin. Just 8 seats in total makes me feel like flying private.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cysyuen
I say the biggest difference is Cathay Dragon doesn't have Cathy Delight.

I also feel special in their A319 J cabin. Just 8 seats in total makes me feel like flying private.
What?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
What?
He obviously means a320... I do find it a bit odd that they configured the A321 to have less economy seats but instead have 3 times as many business class seats.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I don't see why they can't serve a proper dessert? Maybe we will see this change now with all the new enhancements coming.
Ha mate, is it really that important? I mean, I fly KA maybe 25-50x a year, and this is honestly the last thing on my mind. KA is at zero risk of losing the not inconsiderable amount of budget we throw their way for dessert vs ice cream. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it I prefer the dessert this way because I can basically take it when I want, it's a little cup, and it doesn't interfere with my work. I get it if you don't fly KA often you want it to be as expansive as possible. But the practicality of KA is a big allure to us in HK who fly it all the time as a utility. And yea, the catering is indeed better than CX. although sadly being more "aligned" (aka downgraded) with each progressive step.

Fingers crossed new CX mgmt fixes this. I think it's inevitable the two caterings of CX and KA become more alike. Until now we've been dreading it because KA is superior, especially to PVG and PEK. Where KA has really downgraded I to CX standards are the non PEK/PVG short flights to mainland Chinese cities (I am not familiar with KA to other regional countries). Hopefully management changes will eventually light a fire under CX J class catering for all of us so the alignment isn't an issue.

Where KA could actually lose some of our budget is if catering falls off a cliff. I guess dessert is included in there but realistically this is not what we've been bothered by. It's the clear cuts to the starters, meals, consistently bad drink selection and the uncomfortable regional J seats. From my seat that's the soft and hard product issues CX is at most at risk of losing its premium dollars for.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 14, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by bart simpson
There are little things that have been enhanced on KA meals already actually. For example, bread is gone for most routes except breakfast timings.
I received bread on KA between REP and HKG. Left at 8pm.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
From what i have witnessed via extensive reading of trip reports on short haul/ inter-asia flights is that CX/KA serve ice cream on both refreshment & full service flights during lunch and Dinner ....
My last intra-Asian flight on CX, HKG-CGK, had dinner, cheese and fruit and ice cream. No dessert which I can't recall getting in the last few years.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
KA vs CX

I travelled on Dragonair - sorry, Cathay Dragon - for the first time in about 4 years last week, and my experience in economy was as follows:

- unlike Cathay, there's no Evian for DMs
- unlike Cathay, there's no complimentary fast-track immigration cards for DMs
- contrary to popular opinion, I thought the KA food is actually worse than CX rather than better, though I accept this may be a matter of personal taste
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I tend to agree that KA J food is currently no better than CX and wines are even worse (if that is possible).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
My last intra-Asian flight on CX, HKG-CGK, had dinner, cheese and fruit and ice cream. No dessert which I can't recall getting in the last few years.
I think it will be interesting to see the catering changes coming this year by Q4 and what will be implemented across the board with CX/KA. I think they know loud and clear the deficiencies. In the AUBT it did say it will be an "expanded" menu so hopefully will be better than the refreshment service we see on some of these regional routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.