Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red eyes to and from SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Red eyes to and from SIN

How can CX reasonably think that they can operate those awful recliner seats in J on red eye flights... which are dead uncomfortable... and the first thing anyone wants to do upon boarding is to quickly go to sleep!

I took two of these flights in recent weeks and each time arrive feeling out of sorts that affected me the whole day, with a sore neck and just grumpy.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
CX659 had A33Z and A33E ops apart from the odd 77G thrown in occasionally. CX 714 had the odd 77G from time to time .

Though SIN is a traffic and frequent flyer heavy route, it does not have a guaranteed rotation like HND. Maybe when they finally free up some of the 77Ws from the secondary Europe ports, SIN might get improved.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:03 pm

Its not going to make much difference what seat they use. Its a 3h30 flight with an hour of that taken up with takeoff and landing. What sort of sleep are you expecting to get in that time? There's a reason they're called red eye flights. Ive done 659 once and never again.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What's more outrageous is the high price on this route in J and you get the worst product. I guess if market forces allow it good for CX but it's one of the most expensive routes out there!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:59 pm

the load on these two flights are always high.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by jjjohn
the load on these two flights are always high.
I try to avoid them at all cost but it is always nice to know the red eyes are there if I absolutely need them. Happens to me once or twice a year.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
the timing is good for transit though....
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by phol
Its not going to make much difference what seat they use. Its a 3h30 flight with an hour of that taken up with takeoff and landing. What sort of sleep are you expecting to get in that time? There's a reason they're called red eye flights. Ive done 659 once and never again.
+1

Somehow I manage to regularly survive 13-15 hours flight in Y...
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
+1

Somehow I manage to regularly survive 13-15 hours flight in Y...
Mate, you are a true road warrior! Putting the W in Warrior.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
Its not going to make much difference what seat they use. Its a 3h30 flight with an hour of that taken up with takeoff and landing. What sort of sleep are you expecting to get in that time? There's a reason they're called red eye flights.
The sort where a business traveller is forced to take because (s)he has to work late the previous night and has to turn up at the other city the next morning for work.

Certainly having flat beds would make the (unavoidable) red eye flight a bit more tolerable.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
This is why I prefer SQ on this route.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
How can CX reasonably think that they can operate those awful recliner seats in J on red eye flights... which are dead uncomfortable... and the first thing anyone wants to do upon boarding is to quickly go to sleep!

I took two of these flights in recent weeks and each time arrive feeling out of sorts that affected me the whole day, with a sore neck and just grumpy.

They are often on the HKG - NRT/ICN redeyes too.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Looking at HKG-SIN-HKG schedule looks like only CX does the red-eye that is not an LCC. So really, unless SQ throws in an red-eye there is no need for CX to put a proper bed in J. I would have thought most people who flies these red-eye are those HK tour groups flying Y to maximise their time on the ground.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Done these a couple of times and try to avoid them to the extent possible/feasible. A lot of mainland tour groups actually.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
These flights allow CX to have a headline price of $1100 return in order to compete with the LCC headline prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.