Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by redadeco
Hey guys,

What do you think of $2060 for CX PE flying LAX-HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG-LAX(AS)SEA?

I need to fly this route in March, should I wait any longer for a price drop or this is as good as it gets?

Also what PE seats do you recommend on 77W and 333?

Last but not least, is an 8 hrs layover enough to get to Victoria Peak and have a meal up there on Sunday night?

Thanks and happy '17!
That's a pretty good price for PE seeing how a normal coach fare between LAX-SYD is already between $1000-$1800 on average (i've seen them go high as $2400).

(and yes 8 hours is more than enough to get to the peak. Its a 30 min ride on airport express, then a 30 min taxi up to the peak)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Long Haul Premium Economy Expectations on CX

We will be trying out CX's PE on a LH flight (HKG-LAX) for the first time. I have read the this thread, but still have a few questions on what to expect.

Since we are both AA EXPs (OWEs), we will be fortunate enough to have lunch at one of the CX F lounges prior to the flight. Can we request to have the main meal deferred to a later time, rather than being served soon after takeoff?

Aside from the welcome bubbly, what is the quality of the alcohol served in PE as far as wine and spirits are concerned?

Currently the seatmap shows only 16 of 34 of the PE seats assigned (for Jan 30) and has been this way for almost the past week. Should we expect a full cabin, or a relatively quiet and sparsely occupied one?

Is the IFE selection the same, or more limited in selection than J or F?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
We will be trying out CX's PE on a LH flight (HKG-LAX) for the first time. I have read the this thread, but still have a few questions on what to expect.

Since we are both AA EXPs (OWEs), we will be fortunate enough to have lunch at one of the CX F lounges prior to the flight. Can we request to have the main meal deferred to a later time, rather than being served soon after takeoff?

Aside from the welcome bubbly, what is the quality of the alcohol served in PE as far as wine and spirits are concerned?

Currently the seatmap shows only 16 of 34 of the PE seats assigned (for Jan 30) and has been this way for almost the past week. Should we expect a full cabin, or a relatively quiet and sparsely occupied one?

Is the IFE selection the same, or more limited in selection than J or F?
As far as pushing meal time back, you can always check but not sure if they will accommodate that. IFE selection is same throughout the cabin, CX website has the selections for current and next month.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by nightkhan
As far as pushing meal time back, you can always check but not sure if they will accommodate that. IFE selection is same throughout the cabin, CX website has the selections for current and next month.
The main benefit of PE are the broader seat with somewhat more recline (I've only had bulkhead seats in PE where it was possible to stretch out for sleeping at least to some extent) and the better quality headphones.

Also, PE is an upgrade opportunity for MPC and other tier card holders as the cabin is rather limited in space and seat changes to the J cabin are not unheard of during busier flights.

As for the booze, I don't drink spirits when traveling but the PE menu lists Cognac, Scotch etc. Wines are fairly basic just like in Y and beer I also don't touch when up in the air.

The small amenity kit is a nice gesture as well.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Premium Economy vs. Y Pricing - March '17

What's up with CX pricing for Premium Economy vs. Coach? I'm looking to book JFK to MNL in March and the E fare is 3X the price of Y!!! and about 50% of a Business Class ticket.

I'm fine with paying more for PE but USD1,300+ more is lot for what is offered. The difference was normally $300 to $800.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
CX is really gun-shy at selling PE tickets with more restrictive conditions, hence PE "Standard" normally comes at a really high starting fare vs coach.

Same thing happens on ANA, but it seems like they'd rather open it up to FFP members than monetize it with decent value fares.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by nikelg
What's up with CX pricing for Premium Economy vs. Coach? I'm looking to book JFK to MNL in March and the E fare is 3X the price of Y!!! and about 50% of a Business Class ticket.

I'm fine with paying more for PE but USD1,300+ more is lot for what is offered. The difference was normally $300 to $800.
You're just getting a bad anecdote I think. I bet you're either booking during the Rugby Sevens or CLSA conference, all of which carry terrible flight and hotel rates the week before and after.

Normally you can still find E class ex-JFK fares in the low 2K USD. We buy them for guys on our team somewhat regularly.

You're probably getting quoted W fare and it's probably the (HK-specific) peak time which happens for 2 weeks every March. Although the spirit of this thread is on the money, I think your anecdote is just bad luck with timing.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
2.4X (1.4X more) for SYD-HKG Economy this March http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post27857970
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I find this year's PEY price for E having significant discount. For example, E used to be US$2100 round trip from SFO to Asia. Now you can easily get it for less than US$1600. R & W remain similar price as last year.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:48 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I find this year's PEY price for E having significant discount. For example, E used to be US$2100 round trip from SFO to Asia. Now you can easily get it for less than US$1600. R & W remain similar price as last year.
I've been gettting great PEY fares since December 2016 (flying Australia to China). For example, to go from Economy to PEY for my ADL-HKG leg this coming Thursday was only an extra A$180. I assume there must be a special running or something.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Even ex-HKG E fare is much more "approachable" this year...

Just got a quotation from travel agent for HKG-SYD/MEL E class fare in September... Even non-GV2 fare costs only HK$11,300 (tax and surcharges in)...

Still trying to look for better ex-XXX offer but seems too early to book September tickets...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Even ex-HKG E fare is much more "approachable" this year...

Just got a quotation from travel agent for HKG-SYD/MEL E class fare in September... Even non-GV2 fare costs only HK$11,300 (tax and surcharges in)...

Still trying to look for better ex-XXX offer but seems too early to book September tickets...
PEY with CX for HKG-SYD/MEL = J with MH for HKG-SYD/MEL
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Ausriver
PEY with CX for HKG-SYD/MEL = J with MH for HKG-SYD/MEL
MH just has fantastic deals for J!

Though IMO not quite a direct comparison with CX as it has to stop at KUL. QF would be a better comparable.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by SLGO
MH just has fantastic deals for J!

Though IMO not quite a direct comparison with CX as it has to stop at KUL. QF would be a better comparable.
Yup... My parents don't like transit so CX or QF....

But QF still doesn't have regular PEY to MEL...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Question about seat 31C

Hello-

I'm booked LAX-HKG next month in seat 31C. I've read this is one of the "best" seats in PE, though I'm concerned about a couple of negative things I've read.

I've read that the seat is very cold due to nearby air vents and the emergency door. True?

Does this seat have a power port? Seat Guru says yes, Expert Flyer says no.

How much of a hassle will it be to have no under seat storage? Will I be able to bring my small carry on bag down and have it on the floor in front of me during the flight? Will it be in the way of whoever is in 31A accessing the aisle?

When I log in to see my booking, there doesn't seem to be a way to select a new seat if I wanted to. Am I missing something or do I have to call them?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.