Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
Yeah, I've flown plenty of 'real' F carriers including CX and i agree with the other guy. They might present it the same way but Michelin star dining it will never be. There are too many limitations to mass producing food for consumption at 35000ft. A mid range restaurant is about the best you can expect.
That is not true. My recent trip on Etihad (traveling with the Chairman of the Board has its benefits) it was fine-dining quality on their Residence class. Then the onward trips after I flew a couple of Emirates First Class and the foods are boarder-line fine-dining. I haven't flew Cathay F in awhile but my memory was it was very very good dining, certain better than the typical mid-price restaurants in Hong Kong.

Airlines can serve great food in the air. In fact, when airplanes first went commercial it was the top selling point besides quick travel - great quality food at miles high.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
First things first- you dont need to boil eggs at 100C. Not even 80. Japanese "onsen" poached eggs are cooked at 50-60C warm water. Protiens do set at those temperature. Water boils at ard 80C onboard. So you can have ur boiled eggs done right... just that it will take longer. U'll hv to tell ur crew that.

Anyways. Cx food can be so crappy that j and pey food wouldnt be much better than Y. Ive reflected that in the surveys. Otherwise its rather good for getting opups.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If you fly PEY, it shouldn't be that hard to meet the EQD requirement. In fact that's the biggest perk of PEY going into next year, tbh.
That's 4 RTs in PEY (and about the same for EQM, at least with a leg beyond HKG to just about anywhere) -- not that hard (I was 3x this year and 1x AA), but more flying than I have planned for next year and barring an employer paying for it, more expensive than than I can justify in the next couple of years, especially with the very very cheap SFO-LAX-HKG fares AA ran over last summer.

I'm trying hard to get to 2MM next year before they devalue that again; I'm at 1.895MM and have 47KM booked already by mid-April (one of those on PEY with their "Black Friday" sale, plus two $500-ish HKG runs on AA booked last July.)

If I were going to be flying to Asia as regularly as I did in some points past, their PEY would remain my choice of ways to go. Even more so with the fairly frequent discounted deals.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: pleb
Just did a RT JFK-HKG flight in Y, but was sitting bulkhead for both flights so I could see the PEY meal service. For both meals, the meal carts used in PEY were the same as in Y since they started at the front of PEY and then moved through Y. Can't exactly say if the meals were different, but for breakfast at least I saw the meals were definitely the same as we had in Y. This is similar to what I experienced during my PEY flights during summer when both meals seemed to be the same as Y. Perhaps one of the meals is a limited version of a J meal, but I definitely couldn't tell since they've been extremely lackluster and basic.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:38 am

Question Lounge Access in Hong Kong (on PE)?

Hi all,

did I miss something? Maybe I am mistaken, but I seem to remember having a lounge invitation a few years back, when flying in PE to Europe. Has something changed? (I wasnt invited by status at the time)....mmmh

Just checked in, and no invitation attached to the boarding pass!?

thanks
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi all,

did I miss something? Maybe I am mistaken, but I seem to remember having a lounge invitation a few years back, when flying in PE to Europe. Has something changed? (I wasnt invited by status at the time)....mmmh

thanks
PEY doesn't allow lounge access. MPC Silver/OW Sapphire and up gets you access.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:50 am

thanks.. guess the missus needs to keep herself busy shopping in that case! ;-)
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Just did a RT JFK-HKG flight in Y, but was sitting bulkhead for both flights so I could see the PEY meal service. For both meals, the meal carts used in PEY were the same as in Y since they started at the front of PEY and then moved through Y. Can't exactly say if the meals were different, but for breakfast at least I saw the meals were definitely the same as we had in Y. This is similar to what I experienced during my PEY flights during summer when both meals seemed to be the same as Y. Perhaps one of the meals is a limited version of a J meal, but I definitely couldn't tell since they've been extremely lackluster and basic.
To do some justice, the meals for PEY were upgraded last year. Yes, the presentation is a significant downgrade (the entree container looks similar to that of Y - no more ceramic, as well as the whole tray itself), but both meals (dinner and breakfast) have the same entrees as J class, only with fewer choices. So every single entree is different than Y. And being in the same cart doesn't mean the meals are the same - PEY meals have been in the same cart as that of Y since the beginning. I guess for breakfasts, since they look so generic it might seem to be the same? (i.e. congee, egg dish etc) But they are definitely different from Y. Well, however, its not like the J class catering is anything spectacular, if not far from.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, on my recent PE flight, breakfast entrees were different from those in Y. PE had some "fancy egg dish" (frittata or omelette?) and dim sum, while Y had scrambled eggs and congee.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Just wondering, has anyone tried the new PE seats on A350? I heard it's an upgrade over the ones on B77W. How is the recline and comfort level?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi all,

thanks
If you were ex-China to Europe via HKG, CX gives J seats for the China-HKG leg from time to time, if you remembered correctly, the it was the shorter KA leg scored you lounge access all the way.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by kaka
First things first- you dont need to boil eggs at 100C. Not even 80. Japanese "onsen" poached eggs are cooked at 50-60C warm water. Protiens do set at those temperature.
With 68 C being the magic number. Love my onsen eggs

Originally Posted by tphuang
Just wondering, has anyone tried the new PE seats on A350? I heard it's an upgrade over the ones on B77W. How is the recline and comfort level?
Lots of comments on this thread, including mine from last week. Seats are good, if they work. Wouldn't call it a huge improvement over the previous version though. And they're not TK PEY (which were 2-3-2, not 2-4-2 to be fair. May they rest in peace)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ussion-38.html
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
idk about you guys but id prefer congee over some weird frittata.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Congee would be my only choice if I'm in Y. If PEY, I'll prefer Dim Sim over congee for breakfast... maybe just because I know it's not offered in Y.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Hey guys,

What do you think of $2060 for CX PE flying LAX-HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG-LAX(AS)SEA?

I need to fly this route in March, should I wait any longer for a price drop or this is as good as it gets?

Also what PE seats do you recommend on 77W and 333?

Last but not least, is an 8 hrs layover enough to get to Victoria Peak and have a meal up there on Sunday night?

Thanks and happy '17!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.