Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX considering [confirmed] having 10 seats per row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SinoBritAsia
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: 12" (up 3")
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.
Print Wikipost

CX considering [confirmed] having 10 seats per row?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by maortega15
The 77W's will get a new seat as well as new bigger HD screens while the regional 773's will get a new seat but the screens from the current 77W. Bummer really.

First batch of aircraft to get the new seats will be the 5 ex-Emirates ones.

Curious to know, does anyone remember the seat with of the 74A's and 74K? My last longhaul 747 flight was to London years ago and it wasn't that bad. (Even though the middle seat was empty) Edit: Looks like the seat was 17.5. Hopefully 17.5 and 17.2 would be a minimal to nil difference.

And I think the mods can change the title as they have pretty much confirmed 10 abreast.
Thanks for the extra info. Wondering if the new seats on long haul 77W are those on A350 now, or those new ones on 777-9X (if any?).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
"The Journey" magazine says that the base seat is Recaro and the same as that used by Qatar and KLM but with specific CX customisations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post28226539
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:55 am

Economy seats

A359 - Customized B/E Aerospace Pinnacle
A351 - Customized HAECO Vector Y+

New 10-abreast 773 - Customized Recaro CL3710 (screens coming from the 77W)
New 10-abreast 77W - Customized Recaro CL3710 (brand new HD screens)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
The 77W's will get a new seat as well as new bigger HD screens while the regional 773's will get a new seat but the screens from the current 77W. Bummer really.

First batch of aircraft to get the new seats will be the 5 ex-Emirates ones.

Curious to know, does anyone remember the seat with of the 74A's and 74K? My last longhaul 747 flight was to London years ago and it wasn't that bad. (Even though the middle seat was empty) Edit: Looks like the seat was 17.5. Hopefully 17.5 and 17.2 would be a minimal to nil difference.

And I think the mods can change the title as they have pretty much confirmed 10 abreast.
Screen: Disaster. Quite a lot of them is experiencing phantom touch problem... Granted those on 330 are experiencing more such phantom touch problem than those on 777 based on my flying experience, I do hope that they test the screen before installing them into the new seat

747 seat v. 777 seat: I'd say that goes down to the armrest.... that is quite crucial as it is the determining factor of how wide you feel the seat is. Also my bet is on you'll think the 777 seat feels better as the 747 seats.... were those fixed back

Originally Posted by sxc
"The Journey" magazine says that the base seat is Recaro and the same as that used by Qatar and KLM but with specific CX customisations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post28226539
What was the process for consumer testing?
We invited 50 customers to test different versions of the seat...
How will you convince people that this will not impact the passenger experience?
We will have spent a few years developing this product. ... We are confident that the consideration that has gone into the design and the Service Straight from the Heart delivered by our crew will be a winning combination.
1. Our fate is determined by 50 customers, probably DM+ who won't take Y....

2. I thought they've also spent few years time in designing FB1, the fixed back Y and the new regional J seat......
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by sscywong

1. Our fate is determined by 50 customers, probably DM+ who won't take Y....

2. I thought they've also spent few years time in designing FB1, the fixed back Y and the new regional J seat......

Let's get some perspective ...

How many people should come in to test an EY seat? 50, 100, 200? Given that CX fly 100,000 / day, most in EY, any testing is going to be limited.

Why assume DM+? I have been asked by CX to trial things (online and at CX) and they have also been precise about why I gave been asked. CX may get things wrong, but they are not going to ask FCL / JCL flyers to test an EY seat ...

Yes, they probably spent time testing FB1, Reg J, but they also did with FB2, new 350 JCL (great seat, build quality aside), and the new PEY (best in the sky based on the 3 times I have flown it).

I really don't understand the rush to bash CX over a seat design before you have seen or tried it! Imagine ... "yeah, that BMW is crap. it is hasn't been built yet, no one has seen it, and no one has driven it, but it's crap"
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by insideman
Let's get some perspective ...

How many people should come in to test an EY seat? 50, 100, 200? Given that CX fly 100,000 / day, most in EY, any testing is going to be limited.

Why assume DM+? I have been asked by CX to trial things (online and at CX) and they have also been precise about why I gave been asked. CX may get things wrong, but they are not going to ask FCL / JCL flyers to test an EY seat ...

Yes, they probably spent time testing FB1, Reg J, but they also did with FB2, new 350 JCL (great seat, build quality aside), and the new PEY (best in the sky based on the 3 times I have flown it).

I really don't understand the rush to bash CX over a seat design before you have seen or tried it! Imagine ... "yeah, that BMW is crap. it is hasn't been built yet, no one has seen it, and no one has driven it, but it's crap"
Yes, one can't do unlimited testing... But as you said, nearly 100K passengers flying every day. 50 person to test it? That's not even enough to fill one economy section on an aircraft (save for the 33P/33H mini Y cabin and 77G first Y section)... Sample size is simply too small to make one feel comfortable that they've really done enough study before rolling out the seat

For the successful products like FB2 / 2.5, 350 PEY etc, all are the results of poorly received version 1 product when massive flyers give them feedback AFTER the product has been rollout... That's also why people keep saying CX can't do things right with the first generation product....

And why I think it's DM+ is because I've never heard any of my DM friends / colleagues based in HK (some of them flying Y heavily like me) being invited to any such event. Perception could be wrong though i admit

Years ago when they roll out FB1 and the fixed back Y, they had a booth with some sample seats in Festival Walk for people to try out... My first impression was both were very good in that short period of time... Not until I really fly them some minor design flaws becomes annoyance in they sky... And that's already too late to correct them as they've been launched....

I can only see history repeating itself more than often.... Of course hopefully they will get it right as I'm a shareholder as well... But really, not optimistic about it
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
What are the odds the passengers were asked to sit in a full 3- or 4-row of seats?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
What are the odds the passengers were asked to sit in a full 3- or 4-row of seats?
For regional flights - Very likely, if not very very very likely

For long-haul - Not much experience, as fortunately I can put myself in PEY (by miles or self-funded upgrade) for long haul flights most of the time

But shouldn't testing be done in the toughest environment? It'd definitely be acceptable if the B E F J seats are empty.... But then why need to spend so much money to make it 3-4-3?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Runwaygirlnetwork published a post which largely mirrors my comparison of various equipment configs.

(Also mirrors my assertion that Airbus aircraft lend to more comfortable passenger configs vs. Boeing whose aircraft can and are usually squeezed)

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/0...onto-airlines/

Originally Posted by percysmith
Just as a comparison, general averages on each type of equipment (trying to be airline-neutral and preferring measurements that give one decimal point):

777 10-abreast: 17.2 inches https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/1...o-matter-spin/
787 9-abreast: 17.2 inches http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...ying-on-a-787/
737: 17.2 inches http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/...or-boeing-737/
A320: 17.7 inches http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/...or-boeing-737/
A330/340: 17.8 inches http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...bus_A340_E.php
777 9-abreast: 18.5 inches http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...77-300ER_A.php
747: 17.5 inches http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...00_Class_4.php
A380: 18.5 inches http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qat...irbus_A380.php

From my experience in the back:
777 10-abreast: Very uncomfotable (above)
787 9-abreast: OK if not full. May be more uncomfortable if full
737: noticeably more cramped than an A320
A320: reasonably comfortable
A330/340: comfortable
777 9-abreast: very comfortable
747: minimum level I will accept for long-haul/if I have to sleep
A380: very comfortable (I think sxc's description is apt)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 14, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
When CX's B777s go 3-4-3, connecting might be worth it. For a HKG-LAX itinerary, I would be willing to fly HKG-SFO on A350 3-3-3 + SFO-LAX
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hightide
When CX's B777s go 3-4-3, connecting might be worth it. For a HKG-LAX itinerary, I would be willing to fly HKG-SFO on A350 3-3-3 + SFO-LAX
why not switch cx off ...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
LOL to AA?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:51 am

Economy seats

A359 - Customized B/E Aerospace Pinnacle
A351 - Customized HAECO Vector Y+

New 10-abreast 773 - Customized Recaro CL3710 (screens coming from the 77W)
New 10-abreast 77W - Customized Recaro CL3710 (brand new HD screens)
HAECO?....
They make seats now
is SWIRE trying to make every airline support operation in house?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
I sure wished they asked people to sit on it for 6-12 hours before providing feedback. That for me is more important than a large sample size of sitting on it for 10-30 minutes testing it out like they were in an Osim seat massager. The latter being the most likely to have happened.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ausriver
When using Alaska miles, CX offers the lowest redemption prices for Southeast Asia-USA hence I will be sticking with CX unless they devalue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.