Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-HKG F v J

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
and I didn't realize- AA wants to charge a re-issue fee of $150.
Yes, no charge if you are upgrading, but $150 change fee for downgrading.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
That's because you can't contact the EXP desk who have more brains and pull. Keep trying. Eventually, it will be likely that a seat will pop up close to departure. Stick with what you have (in F) in the meantime---the YVR stopover isn't that painful. LOL. Good luck.
I've kept trying, and I guess it's phantom space because 6 different EXP desk agents told me no seats on the flight, even though it's showing up on the BA search engine as one last reward seat in F on the date I want. I did end up switching to a non-stop flight at 2:50pm on the day I'm going, so I will be avoiding the YVR stop over.

I'm not an expertflyer member, but if anyone can check CX831 for Z class on 5/19 I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Edgerfly; May 16, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old May 16, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
JFK-HKG F v J

Expertflyer does not show CX award booking classes...
Old May 16, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
I've kept trying, and I guess it's phantom space because 6 different EXP desk agents told me no seats on the flight.
Mind me from asking, but how can you contact the AA EXP desk, if you're listed as an AA Platinum?
I recall, some CX seats "appear" available for other reasons in Marco Polo like for a companion, which you can't book.
Try close to departure.
Old May 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Mind me from asking, but how can you contact the AA EXP desk, if you're listed as an AA Platinum?
I recall, some CX seats "appear" available for other reasons in Marco Polo like for a companion, which you can't book.
Try close to departure.
I have the EXP desk phone number, but maybe it still routes me to the other desks?

In any event I got what I wanted, and it opened up, just now actually.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I have the EXP desk phone number, but maybe it still routes me to the other desks?

In any event I got what I wanted, and it opened up, just now actually.
I'm sure you're not actually talking to a EXP rep.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
Did you check availability on the JAL site? While technically oneworld partner availability should be the same on the BA, QF and JL sites, I've found some discrepency between the BA and JL sites, and JL seems to be the more accurate and reliable. I don't have a lot of experience with this, but if it shows on the JL site, it seems like the AA agents can always see it and book it. You do need to sign up for a JL frequent flyer account to search, and you have the search round-trip.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
I would avoid the stop in YVR even if it means losing F.
And I would prefer the YVR stop.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I presume this thread will get saved up for posterity...so, my 2cents. I'm ignoring any cost considerations and applies to long-haul F only (there is some crap catering on early morning Japan F flights IME):

Extra benefits of F for infrequent traveler / infrequent F traveler
*Wow! factor, inc: PJs, fancier bedding, utterly enormous seat, better amenity kit, etc.
*This is probably hard to quantify, but I remember well my first flight in CX F almost 8 years ago. I felt just like a little kid again. If someone hasn't flown it before or rarely flies F I think this "wow!" factor is a pretty awesome experience for most anyone.

Additional basic benefits of F over J
*Lights usually stay dim in cabin until 30 mins out (for ex-redeye flights). Crew more attentive to sleeping patterns of pax and adjust lights accordingly.
*Dine on demand
*Store some personal effects under ottoman (aka, easily accessible for takeoff/landing)
*Significantly superior F&B quality versus J
*Eat with traveling companion in buddy seat, and possible to watch movie together
*Refreshed F has that rubber cup holder thing which makes it a lot harder to spill a glass of water or wine.
*No mid-flight meal nonsense like J class

In defense of CX J (long haul)
*I routinely get better sleep in CX J than F. Perhaps I'm less distracted. I also eat and drink less in J, which probably helps my health.
*CX J seat is spectacular for sleeping.
*CX now has an "upgraded" proper duvet in J class (~3-4 years ago?), which was a huge upgrade from the blanket they gave before.
*CX J seats are basically mini-suites and not dissimilar from F a few years ago.
*Working in CX J is a pleasure. The angle of the reverse herringbone design gives you that triangle work area to place computer, headphones, a drink, etc.
*AVOD is identical across the plane. Screen size is either the same or only marginally smaller in J versus F. Resolution is same.
*I swear by my own headphones, and you can bring a pair of sweatpants or something comfortable to wear. Aka, I don't care that CX doesn't offer nicer headphones or PJs in J. I wouldn't use them anyway.
*Every time I fly I'm reminded every time what a spectacular hard product J is. Soft product can be inconsistent and F&B is mediocre at best, but the hard product was most of the battle up to this point (which, not surprisingly, competitors are copying quite well...hello BR and QR).

In conclusion
Personally, I miss dine on demand and the situation with the lighting the most when I fly J versus F. And the F&B situation is significantly superior in F, both in choice and quality with both the food and alcohol offerings. But, regardless I still seem to get fantastic sleep and feel equally if not more rested when I fly J versus F. The only caveat here is I hate the mid-flight meal service when it happens. All lights blare on, crew up and down the aisle, it's difficult to sleep through and that doesn't happen in F.

Last edited by QRC3288; May 16, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 1:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And I would prefer the YVR stop.
May I ask why you prefer the YVR stop going to HKG?

Coincidentally space has opened up on that YVR stop flight that would put me into HKG at 6am on the day I'm currently arriving, giving me a full extra day. I'm debating on whether or not to take it. I can't imagine 4-5 extra hours in CX F could be a bad thing... But making a stop is never fun.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Coincidentally space has opened up on that YVR stop flight that would put me into HKG at 6am on the day I'm currently arriving, giving me a full extra day. I'm debating on whether or not to take it. I can't imagine 4-5 extra hours in CX F could be a bad thing... But making a stop is never fun.
there is a difference of opinion b/w forum members who take the flight frequently. I'm in the camp like alphaod who prefers a nonstop period.

I'm not sure what igordon's exact reasons are, but others have made the argument that they prefer the break (especially for 889, where you don't have to get off the plane, unlike 888 where you have that crap holding area), usually for their own personal jet lag reasons. A few years ago I met a lady at an MPC event, she was DM and swore by CX889, apparently she had this routine where she could stay awake for the entire JFK-YVR sector and then slept like a log YVR-HKG. She said she flew 5-6x round-trips annually to/from JFK and that was the only flight she'd take. J class. That's not my style, but to each their own.

Or, just to hang out in F a little longer I guess.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
One other reasons to stick with F.

Sounds like F availability may become non-existent for most of us who aren't using CX miles in the near future (see thread in AA forum) so this may be the last chance at reasonable rates
Old May 18, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Essentially as suggested by QRC3288 and yourself. More time in F! I've also found the timing good for jetlag. Lots of time to get sleep (often for me it's a nap on JFK-YVR, then caviar & champagne and maybe a few other lite bites, then then a nice long sleep until pre-arrival breakfast. Then after a shower in Arrivals, I'm refreshed and ready to go for the day!

Frankly, I don't think I've done this route since they started the ~2am nonstop departure from JFK, which in theory has similar timing "benefits" (yes, for some people, other timings may work better). But I think the 9/10pm departure is still a bit more sane than 2am (and if I fall asleep, I don't miss the flight!), and you only arrive an hour or two later into HKG, early enough for a full day.

On the 888 return, which I did more recently, I think the timings are the most efficient from a business standpoint. In fact, years ago, before 888 had the timing that it does (and there was only one n/s to JFK), I used to route via the late-night departure to LAX and then the redeye on AA to JFK to replicate this. Today's 6:45pm-ish departure on the n/s isn't bad, but 888 lets you get, say, a business dinner in before you have to go to the airport.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
The F lounge in JFK is marginally better than the J lounge (better booze, at least), but some people find it rather gloomy and small. Also, Cathay F (unlike J) passengers can eat at Pre-flight Dining before departure: decent, but not exciting.

For a trip that involves sleep, I find the F seats far more comfortable than the J, with the mattress pad and the better duvet. I don't know that it's so much better that I'd take a less preferable date, but the longer the flight, the more compelling the increased comfort is...
I don't think CX F PAX get access to the CRR...whats the pre flight dining in the F Lounge...I thought those meals were only served in the CCR?

I also presume no spa treatments...? I was offered a spa treatment at JFK by QF traveling in F, but I don't think CX provides this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
I don't think CX F PAX get access to the CRR...whats the pre flight dining in the F Lounge...I thought those meals were only served in the CCR?

I also presume no spa treatments...? I was offered a spa treatment at JFK by QF traveling in F, but I don't think CX provides this.
The dining for CX F at JFK is the BA J pre-supper service in the BA J lounge. I believe this is also limited to the CX F flight going to/thru YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.