Wiki Posts
Search

Checked bags on a long layover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Checked bags on a long layover

My flight is DPS-HKG-HND-SFO all one a single AA award. DPS-HKG is on CX and the rest are on JAL. I know it's crazy, only award seats available.

My HKG layover is almost 20 hours, how would the checked bags be handled? I need to know so I can pack accordingly for the long layover. If I have to pickup my checked bags then I will pack light for carry on. If they can check it through, which I prefer. Then I will just pack a set of clothing for my one night in HK. I'm traveling with 2 young kids and the wife, so it makes a huge difference. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by caimaster
My flight is DPS-HKG-HND-SFO all one a single AA award. DPS-HKG is on CX and the rest are on JAL. I know it's crazy, only award seats available.

My HKG layover is almost 20 hours, how would the checked bags be handled? I need to know so I can pack accordingly for the long layover. If I have to pickup my checked bags then I will pack light for carry on. If they can check it through, which I prefer. Then I will just pack a set of clothing for my one night in HK. I'm traveling with 2 young kids and the wife, so it makes a huge difference. Thanks in advance
As long as the bags are checked though to final destination and your itinerary is all one one ticket you shouldn't have a problem. HKG knows how to store bags for long periods of time effectively and efficiently. I've had bags there for 18-20 hours multiple times without an issue.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by caimaster

The choice is yours. You can get them to check it to HKG only or all the way to SFO. Whatever fits your boat.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:39 am

Absolutely - while they might not want to 'short-check' your bag for a very short connection in HKG, if you're doing an overnight as a connection, rather than a ticketed stopover, the airline can still easily check your bags for only the first segment, allowing you to retrieve them.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Thanks, that would give me more flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.