Search

Upgrading from Y to J?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
Upgrading from Y to J?

Dear All,

I am just in the middle of booking my flights back to Hong Kong and thought I would take advantage of the UK based HK Sevens 2013 package. So, I have the tickets held with a booking reference etc. However, I also have over 80,000 asiamiles burning a hole in my account.

So I thought I would try to upgrade the flights from Y to J as it purportedly only costs 70,000 miles. The MPC agent said I could only upgrade one class to Y+. Unless the aircraft did not offer Y+.

Now this was all quite clear (and unfortunately it would appear as though the 744's on my route all have Y+) until I mentioned that my father was a diamond and that he upgraded my younger brother with miles no problem on prior (recent) occasions. The MPC agent subsequently told me to contact the diamond hotline so as not to spread 'misinformation'.

Do any MPC Diamonds or other members have experience regarding situations similar to the one outlined above?

Much appreciated,

Chehk
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by chehk
Now this was all quite clear (and unfortunately it would appear as though the 744's on my route all have Y+) until I mentioned that my father was a diamond and that he upgraded my younger brother with miles no problem on prior (recent) occasions. The MPC agent subsequently told me to contact the diamond hotline so as not to spread 'misinformation'.
Unfortunately, what you say is true but you're getting the reason why mixed up. Has nothing to do with DM status but rather roll-out of Y+ and a new Asia Miles redemption rule. CX only recently introduced Y+, and indeed before December Y to J straight upgrades on long-haul flights were available for a # of miles similar to what you have in your account. Even when Y+ was first introduced, CX allowed you to "skip" cabins and upgrade straight from Y to J.

Not anymore, however. Now that Y+ is pretty consistently spread throughout the fleet, you can only do a 1 class upgrade - which includes Y+ in the mix. There are a few current threads about this if you are curious. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...sia-miles.html
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chehk
....my father was a diamond and that he upgraded my younger brother with miles no problem on prior (recent) occasions....
Was it prior to 04-Dec-12?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...sia-miles.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.