Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Anyone with experience with wikipedia edits? (CX Fleet info)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:29 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Hi everyone

You may all remember that in our FAQ, we reference this page:

http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Fleet_Info_(CX))

Unfortunately, the owners of that site (who are the founders of FlyerTalk) have said to me that they are not guaranteeing that that site will exist in the future. Currently, it is only available intermittently.

I have the page saved in a Word document, and you can see the archived version of the site here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160410...leet_Info_(CX))

Does anyone have any experience with how to edit wikis? QRC3288 and I were talking, and thinking that it might be a good idea to just transfer this information to the wikipedia entry for Cathay Pacific here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific_fleet

If anyone is able to help it would be great and we can preserve and update the information that was originally at flyerguide.com

Last edited by sxc; Aug 26, 2016 at 3:44 am
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Great call! yes those info shall be kept and maintained. That flyerguide site did briefly work last week but it's down again.

I had a look at the wiki site, looks like they now have a wysiwyg style editor with no html skills required so I assume it won't be that hard to bring those data across.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Calling anyone with tech knowledge / background / hobbyist / etc!

To amplify what sxc said, I'd just like to chime in this information from flyerguide is remarkably useful, for both long-time CX fliers / posters and new folks to the forum. It contains details on every route and what aircraft fly them, as well as layout details, in a remarkably organized and easy-to-follow format. It's a bummer flyerguide can't be guaranteed to keep the site open but thanks to Wikipedia, it shouldn't matter!

Sadly, I am neither a technology industry person nor hobbyist. But fortunately we have a big forum and I'm sure some folks on here are familiar with what (hopefully) should be the not-too-difficult-task of getting the flyerguide info and formatting provided by sxc into the CX fleet Wikipedia page (sxc's info is coming straight from the CX flyerguide page, which is currently down most of the time and presumably might go down permanently). We need someone or some people to do the "big work" of getting all the CX flyerguide info into the CX fleet Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific_fleetand functioning somewhat correctly, in the proper formatting. I gave it a shot a few weeks ago and failed.

After someone who knows what they're doing gets the bulk of the info/formatting in place on the Wikipedia page, the rest of us who are slightly less-capable at tech can stand on your shoulders and update the info ad hoc to make it precise, and then continuously update it to keep it current with CX's changes.

This will be a massive help to anyone who visits this forum. Not only will regulars find this information useful (I routinely find myself trying - unsuccessfully these days - to visit flyerguide to see, for an easy example, which days CX884/885 is 77G vs 77H) as we can direct folks there for the endless questions we get about "which plane serves where?" "what is my config?" "what biz class product is on the A340?", etc. etc. etc.

Thanks to sxc for starting this, and everyone who chips in.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: SE100K - Air Canada, WestJet Gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've added the details to the CX page in wikipedia....let's see how long it sticks.

If anyone here has updates to the details of the aircraft numbers and where they fly it would be great if you could update it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific_fleet
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:04 am

thank you SXC!!! working on it now.

areas to work on for anyone interested:

*Adding A359 section
*A333 regional and long-haul sections (no more 33G, no more 33Z, etc.)

note to everyone: this is going to be raw for a few days, if you notice inaccuracies please edit! the flyerguide page sxc pasted from has been stale for a little while. hopefully within no time, we'll have the wikipedia fleet page fully updated.

Last edited by QRC3288; Aug 28, 2016 at 3:11 am
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:49 am

update

alright, i've done my best to build on sxc's work and fix some obvious mistakes, including

*MAD updated
*No more DOH
*33G gone, all those planes are 33E now
*77H DUS update
*35G section added

but i'm sure there is a lot more work that needs to be done. 33Z comes to mind but i'm out of time at the moment. anyway, much appreciated for all who help with this effort. i imagine with folks chipping in a little bit it will be updated and accurate within 48 hours or so.

Here is the link again to those interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific_fleet
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:12 pm

Questions to forum members:

Does anyone know whether B-HLF is 33P or 33E? We have it listed in Wiki as 33P, but I notice it flew to HYD recently...normally a route for 33E. Or did pax on this route just get unlucky with a rare equipment swap?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
For Singapore, 711 returns as 736 and 735 returns as 710
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
For Singapore, 711 returns as 736 and 735 returns as 710
Pls edit it!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
can the title be updated? Fleet instead of fleet.... (i cant)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Pls edit it!
Done. Edited the SIN and MNL flight numbers and positions based on aircraft rotations
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Done. Edited the SIN and MNL flight numbers and positions based on aircraft rotations
Great! Thank you.

Anyone out there, edit the wiki any time you see an issue....that's what will make it great.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:14 am

thanks! so glad that this valuable resource is not lost.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Does anyone know whether B-HLF is 33P or 33E? We have it listed in Wiki as 33P, but I notice it flew to HYD recently...normally a route for 33E. Or did pax on this route just get unlucky with a rare equipment swap?
HLF is a 33P, 24J and almost 300Y. Flew it on 27/8 to TPE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.