Wiki Posts
Search

Long Haul Upgrade - Honeymooners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Apologies if I am going over old ground, however when I had a glance I could not see any threads about this topic.

As I will be flying Cathay for my honeymoon this summer I was wondering whether anyone has experienced an upgrade Jon check in and if so what class they were bumped upto (premium economy or business).

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

Not going to happen. It is not particularly fair to those who paid a premium in miles or $$$.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
if they are overbooked you may experience a one cabin upgrade (Y to PEY) it won't happen to J and don't expect it but it won't hurt to mention on check-in that you are on your honey moon.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:11 pm
Suspended

It's amazing how everyone thinks the c in 'CX' stands for charity or something.....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
It's unlikely but I hope you get something nice from CX. Many years ago we did get one on my honeymoon from BA along with a bottle of krug
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:11 pm

I would say don't count on it unless Y was very oversold

couple years back my wife and I got upgraded from Y to J between HKG and KIX, and we even reserved our seats in J the night before during online checkin, but due to last minute equipment change to a 747 they bumped us back down to Y at the counter...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:03 pm

If you have no status, then no chance of any upgrade.

A honeymooner is nothing special with divorce being so easy. (That's what one of my airport friend told me). Everybody seemed to be honeymooners when they check in. So mentioning it will only embarrass yourself and endanger your marriage.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You could get a nice card signed by all members of the crew.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Are you kidding me.

I tell everyone my girlfriend is my wife so she gets spousal privileges.

I've told hotels I'm on a honeymoon to get locations like a quiet room or perhaps a better view.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold

Many moons ago Mrs Cathay Chap and I were both upgraded on our honeymoon (outbound only) despite us both only holding measly Asia Miles cards at the time. It wasn't long haul though. I did mention the fact it was our honeymoon to a nice lady on the blower beforehand. It was actually fairly pointless because it was at the time those herringbone seats had just been introduced, so my beloved and I couldn't actually see each other without standing up and looking over the damned wall. Still, we were both tremendously hungover from the previous day's wedding so managed to get some much needed sleep. Happy days.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Unless the op is referring to some kind of mileage upgrade, I'm afraid to say the chances aren't great
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:10 am

CX does not upgrade for free unless cabin is oversold, and then it is according to status.

The general feeling from above posts, is that there shouldn't be any entitlement just because one is on a honeymoon - if one wants to celebrate in style, fine, buy First Class tickets. Or else one only deserves a polite "congratulatons". Likewise, birthdays etc. Op-ups, if they happen to non-status passengers, should really be for those who exceptionally need them, eg, those with injuries. Upgrading those who are celebrating, hoping for more but not prepared to pay? Not a good idea.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bszeto
couple years back my wife and I got upgraded from Y to J between HKG and KIX, and we even reserved our seats in J the night before during online checkin, but due to last minute equipment change to a 747 they bumped us back down to Y at the counter...
Originally Posted by cathaychap
Many moons ago Mrs Cathay Chap and I were both upgraded on our honeymoon (outbound only) despite us both only holding measly Asia Miles cards at the time. It wasn't long haul though. I did mention the fact it was our honeymoon to a nice lady on the blower beforehand.
Huge difference from OP's case.
- It happened many years ago
- PEY was not introduced yet
- It was for shorthaul, not longhaul...where chance of equipment swap is slim

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
The general feeling from above posts, is that there shouldn't be any entitlement just because one is on a honeymoon - if one wants to celebrate in style, fine, buy First Class tickets. Or else one only deserves a polite "congratulatons". Likewise, birthdays etc. Op-ups, if they happen to non-status passengers, should really be for those who exceptionally need them, eg, those with injuries. Upgrading those who are celebrating, hoping for more but not prepared to pay? Not a good idea.
+1

IMO, asking for an upgrade just cause it's your 'honeymoon' is worse than top-tier elites pulling a DYKWIA. If you want to travel in a premium cabin, especially when celebrating such a milestone...then pay for it - either through cash or by mileage upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
In 2010 my wife and I were flying F from YYZ to SIN. When we were married in 2008 we didn't have time to take a trip, so I called Cathay and added a note to our reservation that this trip was our honeymoon.

We were in F, so it's not like they had anything to give us above and beyond the regular service, but we were treated very, very well. One funny thing, is one FA kept referring to my wife as Mrs. Joelpat, even though my wife didn't take my name when we were married. My wife jokingly pointed this out to the FA, who effectively said "I don't care. I'm traditional. For this flight, you will be Mrs. Joelpat". It could have been rude, but it was cute. This was an older Chinese woman schooling a younger Chinese woman, and everyone thought it was funny.

It can't hurt to add the comment to the reservation. In Y it may or may not make it to the manifest, and the crew may or may not take note of it. Best case, it might get you some extra attention, a glass of wine, or some other small benefit.

In Singapore I also added the note to our reservation at the St. Regis. That paid off with a room upgrade, and fruit/sweets waiting for us in our room.

From now on, I think I'll call any trip we take a honeymoon. It was certainly fun for my wife and I, even if we hadn't just been married.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Totally agree and I think this must be the most tiresome BS excuse ground staff hear day in and day out.

CANNUCKS said IMO, asking for an upgrade just cause it's your 'honeymoon' is worse than top-tier elites pulling a DYKWIA. If you want to travel in a premium cabin, especially when celebrating such a milestone...then pay for it - either through cash or by mileage upgrade.

Last edited by mayodave; Apr 19, 2014 at 8:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.