Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX 888 "Canadian transit visa" warning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:37 am
Original Poster

I am puzzled as to why the CX website continues to display the "Canadian transit visa" warning, which confuses travelers who don't fly this route (CX888 HKG-YVR-JFK) very often, such as members of my family.

Of course, as we hold HK passports, no visa is required to enter Canada, but passengers don't even need to go through Canadian immigration officials while at YVR, so why would a visa be necessary? The only scenario I could think of is if a passenger would want to enter Canada before continuing on say the next day, but then this would not technically qualify as a "transit" for this particular CX888 flight, would it?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I thought it had something to do with US border control pre-clearance but I don't think CX gets that.

It turns out you need a Canadian transit visa even if you are transiting there on same flight http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4152626AAgrKmu.

Canada's the exception rather than the norm. Normally you get visa-free transit for an International-International transit, esp if on same plane.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
I am puzzled as to why the CX website continues to display the "Canadian transit visa" warning, which confuses travelers who don't fly this route (CX888 HKG-YVR-JFK) very often, such as members of my family.

Of course, as we hold HK passports, no visa is required to enter Canada, but passengers don't even need to go through Canadian immigration officials while at YVR, so why would a visa be necessary? The only scenario I could think of is if a passenger would want to enter Canada before continuing on say the next day, but then this would not technically qualify as a "transit" for this particular CX888 flight, would it?
i believe this is outdated for this particular direction

But clearing customs is required in the other direction JFK-YVR-HKG, so I guess its to warn people that on your return journey YVR requires clearing of Canadian customs/hence Canadian transit visa (ie. dont book assuming both directions are the same)

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jul 26, 2011 at 7:35 am
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: Marco Polo
CX may simply not let you on the plane in HKG if you don't have the visa.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Do Americans need the Canadian Transit visa on the JFK-YVR-HKG flight?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
Could it be a precaution for planes go tech in YVR? Americans do not need visa to go into Canada.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by makramer13
Do Americans need the Canadian Transit visa on the JFK-YVR-HKG flight?
No.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

I don't see why it's confusing at all. CX's website simply says that some passengers transiting Canada on CX888/9 require a Canada transit visa and point you to a link which tells you which nationals require a transit visa.

As for the requirement itself, transit visas are not uncommon. CX888/9 may be a same plane service but on both legs passengers are disembarked (even if on CX889 through-passengers are supposed to stay on board there's nothing stopping them from getting off). In other words, the risk is the same as a plane-1-to-plane-2 transit. Canada presumably wants to avoid the situation where someone travels on a fake passport, slips off the plane and then presents at the CBAS checkpoint seeking asylum or to sneak in to Canada through some other nefarious means.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
But clearing customs is required in the other direction JFK-YVR-HKG
No it's not. Through pax don't even get off the plane on CX889.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Canada's the exception rather than the norm. Normally you get visa-free transit for an International-International transit, esp if on same plane.
New Zealand and Australia both require transit visas for nationals of certain countries.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
New Zealand and Australia both require transit visas for nationals of certain countries.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/no-visa.htm

Didn't know that, thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Oz isn't really "on the way" to anywhere and NZ is only a transit point for Oz and the South Pacific though. (although admittedly transiting in Canada only makes sense for going to the US and for Americans, who don't need a visa regardless)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Oz isn't really "on the way" to anywhere and NZ is only a transit point for Oz and the South Pacific though. (although admittedly transiting in Canada only makes sense for going to the US and for Americans, who don't need a visa regardless)
Aus transit for New Zealand and vice/versa

Also Aus is possible routing to South America from Asia?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Hong Kong also requires transit visas for certain nationalities (Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Iraq, and various African countries).
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
perceysmith, YES, CX and LA cooperate and put each others codes and swap passengers EACH DAY in AKL. The route is HKG-AKL-SCL with LAN using their A343X doing the ETOPS-busting trans-polar arc to South America.

There are rumours that when the 787's arrive LAN will be switching the route to daily SCL-AKL and SCL-SYD using ETOPS207 and only +30 minutes on the routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.