Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Award top-up miles no longer sold at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum

I just learned that you can no longer purchase make up miles at LAX.
On many occasions I purchased the miles I needed for an upgrade award at the airport (as long as I had the 70% needed). LAX said they are no longer allowed to sell them. Calling Marco Polo Diamond line, they confirmed that.

Last edited by traveler18; Dec 7, 2008 at 1:11 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by traveler18
I just learned that you can no longer purchase make up miles at LAX.
On many occasions I purchased the miles I needed for an upgrade award at the airport (as long as I had the 70% needed). LAX said they are no longer allowed to sell them. Calling Marco Polo Diamond line, they confirmed that.
That sucks, as LAX-HKG is a long journey, and even looooonger in Main Cabin.

Also, the correct terminology is "award top-up".

And this is a rant, but in my experience and I don't know why, but LAX agents don't seem to want to handle airport mileage upgrades. I have tried it 2-3 times, and each agent would just say, "Sorry, J or F it is full," But when I press on, they call on a supervisor and it is handled immediately. And then onboard the plane, I noticed empty F/J seats.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:07 am

AFAIK, CX has changed 3 times the contract airport personel at LAX...an old CX supervisor who stayed over at the first round, after CX let go off all their own employees...even " L " went over to QF...I ran into her in their F lounge. She just could not stand the work environment at CX anymore.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA2MM
I ran into her in their F lounge. She just could not stand the work environment at CX anymore.
Sometimes I wonder if the crappy service I've received at the hands of the LAX staff is as a result of them hating their work. Having said that, my last couple of encounters with them have been "okay". Not stellar but nowhere bad enough to file a complaint.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
the LAX ground staff are non co-operative and un-willing to help. they are fine for standard check in, but asking them for blocking a seat, or how the flight status is, your asking for too much !!! On the other hand when i was in the F line at LAX there was an indian girl who was directing us to the counter and she was really very informative and great customer service. Dont remember her name, but definately if CX get more people like her, LAX definately be a pleasant check in experience......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.