Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is MTR

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2003, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Is MTR

I'm preparing for a forced overnight in HKG, planning to go into HKG (Central) for a bit of sightseeing and some business to boot. I'll arrive one evening, then depart the next afternoon -- perhaps 16-20 hours later.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_ticket.htm speaks of "same day return." Does anyone know whether this will actually cover a return within 24 hours? I thought a prior thread in this forum said it would, but the search engine didn't offer any obvious insights. Since the return ticket is cheaper than two one-ways, but the same day return is obviously cheaper still, there's an incentive (small, admittedly) to find out in advance and get it right.
Old May 26, 2003, 1:32 am

same day return tickets are only valid for the same day, not 24 hours. for 24 hours, you need to use an octopus card.
Old May 26, 2003, 8:40 am
Original Poster

So if I get an Octopus card, it will debit only the cost of a same-day return when I make my return trip within 24 hours?
Old May 26, 2003, 8:46 am
Suspended

When you exit out of HKG, do not use the kiosk machine and go to the counter for a return fare ticket for $160 (HKD) from HKG-Kowloon station. When looking at the website, it does day "Customer Service Centres at Airport Express stations or MTR stations" and not the Kiosk machines. I affirm as of March 2003 that the price is correct.

An Airport Express Tourist Octopus Card (the last one shown on the link page below) will only allow you ONE journey on the Airport Express, not a RT journey, for $220.00 and two (2) single Airport Express journeys, a RT journey, for $300.00:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ticket.html

Therefore I recommend the $160.00 RT at the airport and regular single purchases as needed throughout the MTR for a single day in Hong Kong, assuming you plan to use JUST $60.00 for the rest of the city + the Airport Express return included. Remember the STAR FERRY is $2.20 over the harbour and $12.00 using the MTR.

SHADO

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 05-26-2003).]
Old May 26, 2003, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I don't follow your logic Shado... why shouldn't a visitor simply get a standard Octpous card (not the "tourist" one)? That way they get the "24 hour return" fare on the Airport Express plus the "free connecting MTR" sector. You can also use the Octopus on the Star Ferry and all buses & other ferries. It's so much easier than buying individual tickets. You have to pay a $50 deposit on the card, but you get that back along with the remaining credit on the card when you return it at the airport as you leave (OK - so you have to go down to the arrivals level to do this, but it's no big deal).
Old May 26, 2003, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Above the $50.00 HKD deposit, what is the minimum cost on the standard Octopus card?

SHADO

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 05-26-2003).]
Old May 27, 2003, 12:12 am
Suspended

The minimum amount of money you have to hand over is $150 ($50 deposit + $100), which you will need all of anyway if you use the Airport Express to HK. So you should probably top it up to $200 (+$50 deposit). In any case you get back all the unused value and the deposit when you return the card at the airport on your way out.
http://www.octopus.com.hk/eng/index.jsp
Old May 27, 2003, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Can you pay the HKD200 by credit card? The refund at the end (HKD50 plus whatever balance is left) then goes back onto the credit card, or is presented in cash?

Have to figure out how much HKD to get in cash from the ATM!
Old May 27, 2003, 8:48 am
Suspended

No. That is one restriction. You can only buy Octopuses (Octopi?) with cash. Otherwise people would simply launder money through them for miles etc.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:13 pm
Suspended

"Octopi" is correct. And thanks for the info on standard Octopus cards!

SHADO
Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to confirm that the advice given above is correct. Bought an Octopus card with HKD 150 of value plus HKD 50 of deposit. Did a <24-hour return (but not same-day return) with MTR connections on both ends. Received back the expected 100 HKD cash upon return to the airport. Excellent. No line to buy Octopus card or to refund it at conclusion of trip.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
"same day return" is still return within 24 hours w/ the Octopus card?

Originally Posted by bedelman
Just wanted to confirm that the advice given above is correct. Bought an Octopus card with HKD 150 of value plus HKD 50 of deposit. Did a <24-hour return (but not same-day return) with MTR connections on both ends. Received back the expected 100 HKD cash upon return to the airport. Excellent. No line to buy Octopus card or to refund it at conclusion of trip.
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.

Just curious if the same day return fare for the Hong Kong Airport Express train means "return within 24 hours" (rather than same date) with the Octopus card?

I will arrive HKG late in the evening, take the airport express to the city and return to HKG the following morning.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.

Just curious if the same day return fare for the Hong Kong Airport Express train means "return within 24 hours" (rather than same date) with the Octopus card?

I will arrive HKG late in the evening, take the airport express to the city and return to HKG the following morning.
No, it's not 24 hours, it's "Same Day Return", valid on the day of the outbond only (and for an hour or so after midnight, because MTR/AE services after midnight but before service closure are accounted as being being completed on the previous day).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK - thanks for clarifying.

So even if I depart HKG immidiately past midnight (but before last service to the city) I will not be able to return to HKG in the morning on a "same day fare"? - I was thinking that it should be traveling on the same day/date if I take a past midnight train from HKG.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You may as well give it a try. If you were to buy a return ticket it's $180. Two singles on octopus are $100 each with the potential gamble that it will be just $100 in total. So worse case scenario is you end up paying $20 (USD 2.50) more than you should have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.