Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Excellent AA EXP / oneworld Emerald Recognition on CX JFK-YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:59 am
wmz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond

I used Avios to fly JFK-YVR on CX 889/888 in Y this past weekend, and I wanted to offer a data point on how deserving CX is of its Skytrax 5-star rating. Both are late-night flights, so getting rest is very important for me.

On the way there, I would have to drive an additional 2.5 hours to Whistler after landing at 12AM. After getting seated, a FA came and addressed me by name, welcoming me and wishing me a nice flight. I immediately put on my eye mask and started getting some shuteye, but another FA approached me and said that they had 1 entire row empty in the back if I wanted to get more comfortable. The flight was fairly full, and that row was the only empty one. Of course, I took them up on that and slept like a baby until 40 minutes prior to landing. I then went to the galley to request a cup of tea, and the FA even neatly assembled a plate of snacks for me since I slept through the meal service. Upon returning to my original seat to deplane faster, a different FA greeted me by name and welcomed me back.

I was already very happy with my luck but was even more surprised on my way back. At the check-in counter, I got upgraded to Premium Economy without asking. The PE product was amazing, and I would highly recommend it for a long-haul flight. The wide seat is padded and has tons of recline, and I felt about as comfortable as I did on AA's refurbed 772 J lie-flat that I flew last month.

Overall, I'm just amazed with the huge gap in soft product between CX and AA. Even while flying on a Y award, I had an amazing flight and would definitely pay a premium on this route.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm very glad you've had a good experience. As this is about a CX flight, I'm going to go ahead and shift this over to the CX forum.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I agree CX's Emerald recognition and their priority of giving Emerald's Op Ups in over sold situations are quite good as well. Glad to see your experience reflected that as well.

But is AA's new 772 J lie-flat seat so bad that the CX Prem Econ recliners are better? I haven't flown the AA 772 J yet so that's why I ask.

I flown CX's PEY along with AA's 77W J Lie-flat (which is identical to CX's J seat) and while I agree the PEY seat is much nicer than Y, the Lie-flat J really gives the ability for me to get a deep solid 7-8 hours of natural feeling sleep the PEY seat simply can't do.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by wmz
Overall, I'm just amazed with the huge gap in soft product between CX and AA. Even while flying on a Y award, I had an amazing flight and would definitely pay a premium on this route.
I've always had good experiences with CX's recognition as a OWE. But I feel overall though that the soft-products on major Asian/Middle Eastern airlines have always been superior to US airlines.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:01 pm
wmz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchen2
I agree CX's Emerald recognition and their priority of giving Emerald's Op Ups in over sold situations are quite good as well. Glad to see your experience reflected that as well.

But is AA's new 772 J lie-flat seat so bad that the CX Prem Econ recliners are better? I haven't flown the AA 772 J yet so that's why I ask.

I flown CX's PEY along with AA's 77W J Lie-flat (which is identical to CX's J seat) and while I agree the PEY seat is much nicer than Y, the Lie-flat J really gives the ability for me to get a deep solid 7-8 hours of natural feeling sleep the PEY seat simply can't do.
Perhaps the PEY seat just felt more comfortable because I had just finished 3 days of intense skiing at Whistler. The 772 lie-flat seat is certainly good, but there are a few things I don't like:
- In the rear-facing seat, the armrest on one side doesn't go down, so it can get a little cramped
- The headrests don't have the side wings to hold your head in place
- The seats don't feel as padded/soft as the PEY recliner seats

I haven't had many opportunities to try INTL J or PEY, so maybe my opinion will change with more trips. Flying CX/JL J to Australia next week.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by dchen2
Any datapoints on CX Sapphire recognition for comparison? Obviously OWEs are top of the heap, but can anyone offer further illustrations of how OWSs have been treated on CX or other OW flights?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Bobberjet
Any datapoints on CX Sapphire recognition for comparison? Obviously OWEs are top of the heap, but can anyone offer further illustrations of how OWSs have been treated on CX or other OW flights?
(from my experiences so far) They don't recognize OWS in F/J...or at least that's not part of the service protocol anymore. Depends on how elite-heavy and ISM attitude in W/Y. I think they generally treat OWS well on long haul flights when they have the time to 'go the extra mile' for you, such as goodies like cathay delight...but on short haul routes nada
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bobberjet
I'm OWE now (AA EXP), but last year when I was still at OWS (AA PLT), I received the same kind of treatment on CX. Pre-departure greeting, everyone addressed me by name, and I had even gotten an op-up from PEY to J on a BNE-HKG flight. So OWS/AA PLT is still a great way to fly on CX!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:33 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
I'm OWE now (AA EXP), but last year when I was still at OWS (AA PLT), I received the same kind of treatment on CX. Pre-departure greeting, everyone addressed me by name, and I had even gotten an op-up from PEY to J on a BNE-HKG flight. So OWS/AA PLT is still a great way to fly on CX!
Similar as BAEC Silver. Multiple welcomes by name, a few upgrades, definitely a more personalised service.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Similar as BAEC Silver. Multiple welcomes by name, a few upgrades, definitely a more personalised service.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Definitely surprised (and pleased!) to hear about the upgrades and personal service even at the OWS level on CX. Very good to know. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:20 am

Another data point - just flew PVG-HKG on CX in J. AA EXP here. No recognition of status and no personalized greeting whatsoever. There were several people given personalized welcomes/greetings but most appeared to be Marco Polo members (based on luggage tags). Not sure if this is just a one off, or perhaps if they are not really doing this on short-haul flights for non-Marco Polo elites.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Contrary to my previous post on my previous experience on CX as a OWS, the four flights I have just completed were a contrast to all other times I have flown on CX.

No hellos or introductions from the ISM or SP's as have had before (not that I was expecting as a lowly OWS).

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by booji
Another data point - just flew PVG-HKG on CX in J. AA EXP here. No recognition of status and no personalized greeting whatsoever. There were several people given personalized welcomes/greetings but most appeared to be Marco Polo members (based on luggage tags). Not sure if this is just a one off, or perhaps if they are not really doing this on short-haul flights for non-Marco Polo elites.
In J they simply don't greet GO/SAs. I've noticed and an ISM told me this is 'standard service flow'. But in W/Y they still take the initiative to greet all GOs and SA (OWS)s. Again I think not for short haul however.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:32 pm
wmz
Original Poster

I also didn't get greeted on CX J EWR-HKG or HKG-SYD. However, on EWR-HKG during meal service, one FA addressed me by name and served me before other pax.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I got an op-up from PEY to J on HKG to YVR a couple days ago. I was boarding when they gave me a new boarding pass, so that was an awesome surprise! Was greeted on board by both the purser & inflight services manager (as usual), but was also given first choice of meals and served individually before the rest of the J cabin, with them soon after bringing the cart to serve everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.