Search

Lounge Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Lounge Etiquette

Part of the monthly account update...

So, at least they know that people watching videos without headphones, and lying slouched with feet up, are a bit of an annoyance to some.

Hope they get firm on this.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_SG/travel-information/airport/lounge-etiquette-guidelines.html?cm_mmc=ESUM-CX-_-ES040E1534-20AUG15-_-10474-_-CXOP
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I found the following interesting if not amazing...

• For hygiene and safety reasons, bare feet are not permitted.
Yet to see one...

• In the unlikely case that a passenger becomes aggressive or appears to be intoxicated; any rudeness, abuse or threatening behaviour towards Lounge personnel will not be tolerated.
Not DB?

• Food and beverages that are served in the Lounge are best when fresh, and created for immediate consumption. Please refrain from taking them with you.
Aside from fresh fruit e.g. banana, what can be take away? A bowl of fruit?? But honestly I did think of taking a hot sandwiches with me

• As a courtesy to fellow passengers, please limit your use of special Lounge facilities to the following times:
- 30 minutes for Shower Suites and Showers
ok so 30 minutes...
But what's a Shower Suite?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
how does someone spend 30 minutes in the shower in the lounge, There isn't really something to lounge around. I am usually done 15 minutes tops
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
Aside from fresh fruit e.g. banana, what can be take away? A bowl of fruit?? But honestly I did think of taking a hot sandwiches with me
having travelled with some hongkie aunties, i can imagine what can actually be taken out from a lounge.....
boiled eggs(i can understand at 1 egg, but i've had aunties taking enough eggs for the whole party for 1 day....) ,boiled potatoes, bread, roast beef cut/ham (think the haven) fried veggies. they could be taking a few tubberware.... oh and the glass containers with salumi and salads at the Pier.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:12 pm

It's sad that CX has to resort to 'educating' people what the lounge etiquette is. I suspect it's geared towards the mainland population.

I've seen people stuffing their handbags with just about everything... only short of pulling out a tupperware and asking for dan dan noodles to be scooped into it as convenient takeaway!

On a separate note, I guested a friend into the F section of The Wing the other day and, upon settling ourselves into the dining room, I was asked - "Is everything you order here, free?"
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It's sad that CX has to resort to 'educating' people what the lounge etiquette is. I suspect it's geared towards the mainland population.
I respectfully disagree. I saw a lot of Caucasian kids misbehaving, and many Mandarin-speaking guests very quiet. I would say that it is to set expectations for manners inside the lounge, and establish a guideline to invite the undesired guests out.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
There is also the issue of enforcement.

A classic example is in the G16 lounge - despite warning notices being placed on each table (I am referring to the row of sofas/tables overlooking the area between Gates 16 and 17), there are still people who lie full length on the sofas. Yesterday mid-morning there were two sofas occupied by sleeping guys, covered by blankets (one with bare feet) and two girls half sleeping, one with her shoes on the edge of the table. Every time I am there in the morning I see this and I have never once seen a member of the lounge staff do anything. I guess next time I should speak to the staff myself, but it shouldn't be up to the other passengers to police lounge behaviour. Also, I don't know how to put this delicately, but the culprits all seem to have come off the same two or three flights....

It is all very well posting the rules of etiquette on-line, but there needs to be consistent follow up on the ground for the policy to be effective.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Aug 21, 2015 at 7:48 pm Reason: Typing mistakes
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Agreed that enforcement is key here.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I suspect it's geared towards the mainland population.
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I respectfully disagree. I saw a lot of Caucasian kids misbehaving, and many Mandarin-speaking guests very quiet.
Can we try to avoid turning this thread into a discussion of how people behave based on where they are from or their ethnic backgrounds, please?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
how does someone spend 30 minutes in the shower in the lounge, There isn't really something to lounge around. I am usually done 15 minutes tops
While this is rare, I do feel that I can sometimes take up to 30 minutes in the bathroom.

Say I arrive after a redeye long flight and connecting to a short flight, I'll usually sleep in the longhaul in pyjamas then use the lounge to really refresh prior to arriving at my final destination in correct business attire. I'll then head straight to my meeting or whatever so I like to be dressed before my final daytime flight.

So in HKG I'll get a shower suite, use the toilet, take a shower and then shave/bruth/dry hair etc. and get dressed in business attire. I haven't been measuring but if I don't 'rush' myself, I feel that process could take a good 30 minutes.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mitwg
While this is rare, I do feel that I can sometimes take up to 30 minutes in the bathroom.

Say I arrive after a redeye long flight and connecting to a short flight, I'll usually sleep in the longhaul in pyjamas then use the lounge to really refresh prior to arriving at my final destination in correct business attire. I'll then head straight to my meeting or whatever so I like to be dressed before my final daytime flight.

So in HKG I'll get a shower suite, use the toilet, take a shower and then shave/bruth/dry hair etc. and get dressed in business attire. I haven't been measuring but if I don't 'rush' myself, I feel that process could take a good 30 minutes.
probably. i can imagine a 10 minute toilet, 10 minute shower after a flight. so leaving 10 minutes for dressing up isnt that much. even 15 mins its kinda tight....

but i'd agree - you should be allowed to slowly get everything done, just dont abuse it. (preflight showers should take less time, and they shouldnt really be expecting transit passengers to be using the departure lounge before they head to town)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sscywong
I found the following interesting if not amazing...

Yet to see one...

Not DB?

ok so 30 minutes...
But what's a Shower Suite?
The cabanas
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hiima
The cabanas
Not sure if they meant the cabanas for shower suites. 30 minutes for cabanas is little short. They have asked people to limit time to 90 minutes for cabanas, not 30 min. I asked the attendants on that before. They said they would hope people would limit to 90 min, but they could not really enforce.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
In July, I was in LHR T5 BA Galleries lounge, after I use a tong to take some ice cubes, a woman just sink her whole hand into ice bucket to take some ice cubes...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
OK....I'm guilty...I normally spend 45 minutes.

Washing hair, drying, it all takes time for a girl who has long hair, 30 minutes is a bit difficult...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.