Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting iPhone to IFE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Connecting iPhone to IFE

Can I connect my iPhone 5s to the IFE with the cable the cabin crew provides and a lightning to 30-pin adapter? That is, is their cord compatible with the adapter, or should (and where can) I buy a lightning to whatever-port-they-have adapter?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I've never used it, but I thought it was just a USB plug in?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Yeah, it's a USB plug so it doesn't matter what version of iPhone you have, all the cables whether it be 30 pin or lightning, have a USB end.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I flew CX in December and the USB outlet just charged the phone, didn't play the media on the screen. The cord they gave me connected 30 pin to whatever plug it is they have. What is that called, anyway?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by vhrum
I flew CX in December and the USB outlet just charged the phone, didn't play the media on the screen. The cord they gave me connected 30 pin to whatever plug it is they have. What is that called, anyway?
Yea they're called Panasonic eXport or something like that. Tried to find one of those with a lightning plug but all I could find was one with a 30pin. USB won't play anything...on any airline I've been on, for that matter
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guidospizza
Yea they're called Panasonic eXport or something like that. Tried to find one of those with a lightning plug but all I could find was one with a 30pin. USB won't play anything...on any airline I've been on, for that matter
So if I get a lightning to 30 pin adapter I'll be ok to play my phone on the screen with Cathay's cord?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:50 pm

Not sure...I didn't end up buying the 30 pin cord or adapter or try their onboard cord (at that time, the 30-to-lightning adapter was only available through apple directly at a really high price).

I do know that a lot of adapters (e.g. Micro USB to Lightning etc.) have connectivity issues for some applications, even if they are MFI.

But from a simple hard connection standpoint it might just work...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
It depends on whether your 30-pin to Lightning adapter is Apple-certified for video - many aren't, and will only transmit music.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I encountered the same problem with my ipad. Tried to use the cord supplied by the crew and nothing came up on the screen
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
any recommendations for the 30-pin to lightning that are Apple-certified for video? I have got iPhone 6 plus to be connected to the IFE
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
It depends on whether your 30-pin to Lightning adapter is Apple-certified for video - many aren't, and will only transmit music.
This is the information I'm looking for. Where can I find an adapter that is Apple-certified for video? Are Apple's own 30-pin to lightning adapters certified for video?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by vhrum
This is the information I'm looking for. Where can I find an adapter that is Apple-certified for video? Are Apple's own 30-pin to lightning adapters certified for video?
Wow, this is new. We do manufacture MFI licensed products ourselves and I've never heard of adapters / connectors being certified for music only....looking forward to some more info on this one...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by guidospizza
Wow, this is new. We do manufacture MFI licensed products ourselves and I've never heard of adapters / connectors being certified for music only....looking forward to some more info on this one...
I believe the new lightning standard is that it only support digital video output and the analog video output has been deprecated (hence there's no composite video out, which is needed for the IFE display)

http://www.apple.com/hk/shop/product...30-pin-adapter

This adaptor lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Supports analogue audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.
The USB port on the IFE system is just for charging only
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
The USB port on the IFE system is just for charging only
Are you 100% sure on that?

I ask because of this

And you can connect your iPod, iPhone or iPad* to stream your own music and movies to the screen.
For what it's worth, on other carriers such as TK, I could stream media from my iPod touch 3rd gen (yes, old) but NOT from a 5th gen. With that in mind, maybe it depends what drivers they have installed and what models it will read from, just a thought.

Last edited by chris19992; Aug 5, 2015 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by chris19992
Are you 100% sure on that?

I ask because of this

For what it's worth, on other carriers such as TK, I could stream media from my iPod touch 3rd gen (yes, old) but NOT from a 5th gen. With that in mind, maybe it depends what drivers they have installed and what models it will read from, just a thought.
If you are technical enough, there are plenty of replies on Apple's support website on inability to get analog video out for iPhone Gen 5+ as they have drop it so to move to lightning standard. Lightning standard didn't appear before the new seats and IFE appears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.