Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No Online Check-In if Passport Less than 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC

Just discovered that CX.com seems to impose a blanket ban on online check-in if your passport has less than six months until its expiry date--regardless of whether or not you're flying to a country that has such a requirement for admission.

Of course, there are many countries which only admit you if your passport has less than 6 months left. But there are many more which don't have a 6 month requirement, including the UK (and even if it did have one, it wouldn't apply to me as a British citizen), where I've just been rejected from checking in online for my flight tonight with a message saying its because my passport is not valid for six months (since British passports can take ages to renew I'm waiting until after this trip).

Funnily enough, CX.com links you through to check passport and visa requirements on IATAtravelcentre.com, which gets it right in saying there's no six month requirement for the UK).

But, I guess given the general assessment on this forum of the standard of CX's IT skills, no one should be surprised that they're apparently incapable of incorporating this into their online check-in system.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by dgittings
Just discovered that CX.com seems to impose a blanket ban on online check-in if your passport has less than six months until its expiry date--regardless of whether or not you're flying to a country that has such a requirement for admission.

Of course, there are many countries which only admit you if your passport has less than 6 months left. But there are many more which don't have a 6 month requirement, including the UK (and even if it did have one, it wouldn't apply to me as a British citizen), where I've just been rejected from checking in online for my flight tonight with a message saying its because my passport is not valid for six months (since British passports can take ages to renew I'm waiting until after this trip).

Funnily enough, CX.com links you through to check passport and visa requirements on IATAtravelcentre.com, which gets it right in saying there's no six month requirement for the UK).

But, I guess given the general assessment on this forum of the standard of CX's IT skills, no one should be surprised that they're apparently incapable of incorporating this into their online check-in system.
I've had the same experience, and thought that was silly. But speaking as one who has endured SQ's IT, CX is perfectly tolerable.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
That is correct, and the only reason I can think of is CX's IT. This is probably not at the top of their list for improvement.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dgittings

I wonder how new this is? Last year I checked-in online (China-HKG) with a UK passport less than 6 months... was only picked up by HK immigration after the smart gate refused me entry.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:32 pm

It's not IT error but on purpose. Many nation's customs have rules that if your passport is less than 6 months you can't even enter. Why is this so? Because their visa (or visa-exempt) may be 6 months or longer, but if your passport expires then that would be a major issue. So many nations requires that your passport be at least 6 months valid to allow you to enter their nation.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
It's not IT error but on purpose. Many nation's customs have rules that if your passport is less than 6 months you can't even enter. Why is this so? Because their visa (or visa-exempt) may be 6 months or longer, but if your passport expires then that would be a major issue. So many nations requires that your passport be at least 6 months valid to allow you to enter their nation.
When you check in at the airport, the check-in agent uses IATA to check your travel document for validity and visa requirement. OP's point is that CX can use IATA during OLCI instead of simply rejecting all travel documents with shorter than 6 months validity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.