Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl-intl transfer at PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by asterix881
Thanks for the advice. Now have flights re-arranged to have 4 hour transfer time in PVG between KA and DL.
That should be okay:

-DL's cutoff is T-60
-you should allow for 60 minutes to get from arrival gate to DL check-in counter
-this gives you 120 minutes of leeway

That having been said, if you catch HKG-PVG on a bad day, 8+ hour delays are quite common, especially during the summer.

As such, be sure your KA and DL flights are on a single ticket, or if on separate tickets, the DL ticket has a generous change policy. Why don't you want to fly MU HKG-PVG, by the way (much easier in your case)?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thx moondog. Might end up switching KA to MU.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by moondog
It's a 1200 meter walk, in total.

PVG is a VERY bad place to connect, by the way.
Not necessarily, just better not to attempt to connect on the same day.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by asterix881
Thanks for the advice. Now have flights re-arranged to have 4 hour transfer time in PVG between KA and DL.
What are the timings of your flights (inbound and outbound) and are both on the one ticket?

If on the one ticket, not so much to worry about. If separate, I wouldn't be feeling too comfortable with a 4 hour connection time. Flights on the HKG-PVG corridor have been pretty bad of late... 8 hour delays and plenty of cancellations are not uncommon at the moment.

(edited to add - sorry - was on page one of the thread - just saw page 2 - I agree with moondog... unless you have flexibility, 4 hours is potentially very tight)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Not having ever transferred in PRC I had just assumed intl-intl would be like BKK or NRT etc. Learn something new every day...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

So a follow-up and thanks to all your helpful suggestions back in July.

PVG is NOT a good airport for int-int transfer as you warned.

I did change my HKG-PVG flight on CX to allow for a 5 1/2 hour transfer time in PVG. The CX flight was held for two hours in HKG by ATC so arrived in PVG 3 1/2 hours before DL flight to the US. It then took a good two hours to officially enter China, then walk that long, long "wenzhou trail" or whatever it's called from terminal 2 to terminal 1 and recheck-in with DL, then leave China again via immigration. Also, just as you predicted, the immigration officer on entering China had to call over a supervisor to let me in for the transfer even though as a US citizen I am allowed TWOV. Delta does not issue mobile boarding passes for China. Fortunatey I did not check in bags on CX as that would have taken another 45 minutes to claim baggage in PVG.

So I made it but wouldn't suggest it. Only did it because was able to get a low DL C award back to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.