Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Amazing extention to membership year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing extention to membership year!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Amazing extention to membership year!

This is incredible, I am currently MPC SL with about 18K miles to go before I can get Gold. My membership year ends at the end of May. I know it's still a long shot from the 60,000 threshold, but I decided to write to MPC anyway to ask for an extension and see what they'll say. There was no response from MPC for 10 days, which is very unusual. So I thought that they thought I was crazy to ask for an extension despite being a long way off getting Gold.

A few days ago I decided to give MPC a call to follow up since they have still yet to get back to my email two weeks ago (I was at least expecting them to reply with a "no"). The agent talked to his supervisor, and later told me that the maximum they could give me was a 1-month extension. This won't help me, as I need at least until July or maybe even early Aug to get the extra 18K. So I told the agent to not bother with it and just leave my account alone.

Then, MPC finally replied yesterday to the email I sent them a while back asking me for some of my details as account verification. I promptly did as requested, and guess what, they got back to me saying that they'll grant me a 3 month extension to rack up the remaining 18K for Gold, woohoo!!

3 month extension for a tier upgrade while being 18,000 miles short, I really wonder if this is some kind of record...

I know it's not DM, but I'm still quite happy
Old May 28, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
That's great! I think they should give members added months to re-qualify based on membership years.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
This is great news.... I never know they are that sweet ^
Old May 28, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by LapuLapu
That's great! I think they should give members added months to re-qualify based on membership years.
So you're saying they should let you retain your status for so-and-so number of years? Wouldn't that just mean a lot of folks who achieve their status will just end up trying to build up other programs?
Old May 29, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by alphaod
So you're saying they should let you retain your status for so-and-so number of years? Wouldn't that just mean a lot of folks who achieve their status will just end up trying to build up other programs?
What I meant was if you were a gold member for the last 5 years, then the extension period would be extended to 5 months for you to re-qualify.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GE90-115B

Then, MPC finally replied yesterday to the email I sent them a while back asking me for some of my details as account verification. I promptly did as requested, and guess what, they got back to me saying that they'll grant me a 3 month extension to rack up the remaining 18K for Gold, woohoo!!

3 month extension for a tier upgrade while being 18,000 miles short, I really wonder if this is some kind of record...

I know it's not DM, but I'm still quite happy
I think they look into your history and your pattern. When I first made DM and tried to requalify the next year by asking an extension, I was only given 1-month extension. The second time (this time I'm 4th year DM) when I wrote to MPC about extension (I think I'm 10K-12K short, don't really remember), I got no replies but when I login to my account I saw my membership year reset (a call or an email would of been nice, not that I don't appreciate the gesture...)

So yeah, I think they do take your history into view.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF CX
got a similar helpful service from the MPC.
I was a 1st year Gold (what they gave me as a QF PL who switched airlines) and was at 112k miles at the end of April (my anniversary) and ask for more time to get DM.
They gave me 30 days and I made it (just!).
In trying to calculate what flights would get me over the line , I did ask them if I was only a handful on miles short, would they just give it to me? The answer was no! Even if it was only 1 mile short - I'd miss out.
Strict , but fair!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:56 pm

I will be less than 2500 Marco Polo Miles short of reaching 'Gold' before my membership ends end of this month. Should I call for a shot? Next year on, I heard 'Silver' will mean loose a lots of benefit....
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I will be less than 2500 Marco Polo Miles short of reaching 'Gold' before my membership ends end of this month. Should I call for a shot? Next year on, I heard 'Silver' will mean loose a lots of benefit....
never hurts to ask...see if you can do a quick MR to lock in GO ... that's what I'd do. I flew to PEK for the weekend just to requalify for GO
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Call and at least ask for grace period (typically one month, sometimes two if you are lucky), and plan a mileage run. GO is really a big upgrade over SL and it's worth it to do that.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:05 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I wonder if they take the miles that you've gone beyond the qualification requirements as a consideration? I've been DM for 4 years; 121k, 123k, 126k, and 125k where the numbers I hit for requalification. So if you're short 2,000 miles, MPC might take into consideration.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
I wonder if they take the miles that you've gone beyond the qualification requirements as a consideration? I've been DM for 4 years; 121k, 123k, 126k, and 125k where the numbers I hit for requalification. So if you're short 2,000 miles, MPC might take into consideration.
That's why you need to call and ask. MPC really don't have any SOP on this and it may be at the manager's discretion. For me personally I have been SL for the first few years with MPC because back then my travels only allows me to accumulate up to 50K, and not once did MPC do me any favors (which they shouldn't). But when my company started to send me over like crazy, when I racked up 52K miles in 3 months, I was promoted GO without even asking. Then, fast forward a few years, when I was only at 108K, when I wrote (not call) to ask for one month grace period, I was given DM renewal instead. But for my case the previous 4 DM years are 150K, 170K, 180K, 180K, so I guess that helps....
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:26 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
That's why you need to call and ask. MPC really don't have any SOP on this and it may be at the manager's discretion. For me personally I have been SL for the first few years with MPC because back then my travels only allows me to accumulate up to 50K, and not once did MPC do me any favors (which they shouldn't). But when my company started to send me over like crazy, when I racked up 52K miles in 3 months, I was promoted GO without even asking. Then, fast forward a few years, when I was only at 108K, when I wrote (not call) to ask for one month grace period, I was given DM renewal instead. But for my case the previous 4 DM years are 150K, 170K, 180K, 180K, so I guess that helps....
That's what I figured. You have credits in the bank, so to speak. If I didn't reset each time, I would be hitting about 150k.

Bottom line, build up your equity over time. If you happen to be short a few thousand miles one year, write to them. However, don't write to them every year saying you're short xxx amount.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dek526
never hurts to ask...see if you can do a quick MR to lock in GO ... that's what I'd do. I flew to PEK for the weekend just to requalify for GO
That's a good suggestion, I am seriously thinking about flying to DFW for the weekend just to make up for the shortage 2435 MP Miles..
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:27 pm

I called MPC and they will not extend, even with 2300 points short. They encourage me to call them back within a month after I completed my flight planned within 30 days after my MPC is re-set and they will reinstate me to Gold instead of Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.