Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Pier First Class lounge is closing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:32 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

From the Marco Polo news page:

The Pier First Class lounge at Hong Kong International Airport will be closed from 29 October 2013 to facilitate the T6 transfer desk expansion and provision work ahead of Cathay Pacific’s own construction work for the First Class lounge, which is expected to commence in the third quarter of 2014. During this period, we would like to invite Diamond members and those travelling in First Class to use Cathay Pacific’s other lounge facilities at the airport, including a reserved area at The Pier Business Class Lounge. The Atrium at The Wing Business Class lounge on Level 7 (balcony level) will be also reserved for the exclusive use of Diamond members and First Class passengers.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:33 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Looks like The Pier business class lounge is hanging around for maybe another year as The Pier renovation won't start until Q3 2014.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
interesting...so they're going to rope off part of the Pier for a faux first class section.

I think it's a brilliant idea to make the Atrium an F section at the Wing. I hope that becomes permanent. The F Wing lounge is still too crowded at certain times of the day, and that can allow it to spread out. Plus, from CX's perspective, it will allow them to easily check people heading into the F lounge as the J lounge dragons will control it - the entrance to the Atrium is right there.

Fingers crossed the Bridge is nice. I really enjoy the Cabin and don't mind the lack of an F section.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
I'm sorry to see the Pier close for so long although if the renovation is good I'll appreciate it when it reopens of course!
My single greatest regret is that the Pier was genuinely one of the quietest lounges unlike the Wing which suffers from "ambient" noise from down below. I'll miss that for the next year ++?

I also don't mind the lack of an F section if the lounge has space to sit and is relatively peaceful. Alas that may be too much to hope for although I will hope the bridge is good. All lounges from "all" airlines everywhere seem packed these days.
Time for a private jet
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
I'm sorry to see the Pier close for so long although if the renovation is good I'll appreciate it when it reopens of course!
My single greatest regret is that the Pier was genuinely one of the quietest lounges unlike the Wing which suffers from "ambient" noise from down below. I'll miss that for the next year ++?

I also don't mind the lack of an F section if the lounge has space to sit and is relatively peaceful. Alas that may be too much to hope for although I will hope the bridge is good. All lounges from "all" airlines everywhere seem packed these days.
Time for a private jet
+1

I do like the lack of noise as well as the daybreak rooms - better than the cabanas if you want to sit somewhere for an hour or two
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I really liked the Pier. Will miss it. Was nothing fancy about it, but could (almost) always get a seat for dining or in main lounge; was quiet; was rarely a line for the shower or a day break room; service was quick and friendly, etc.

I truly hope they go in a different direction from what they did in the Wing.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288

I think it's a brilliant idea to make the Atrium an F section at the Wing. I hope that becomes permanent. The F Wing lounge is still too crowded at certain times of the day, and that can allow it to spread out.

+1

The Wing F lounge is really too small and I won't stay there except for Cabana or the Heaven - after visiting them, I usually move to the J side.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by LchChester

The Wing F lounge is really too small and I won't stay there except for Cabana or the Heaven - after visiting them, I usually move to the J side.
+1
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
+1

Sad commentary on CX's efforts at creating a good F lounge experience.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:01 am

+1

J side is more crowded and chaotic than F lounge....
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
Sad commentary on CX's efforts at creating a good F lounge experience.
If the argument here is true that CX just wants to make money that they lust over that $50 per pax entry fee from other OW elites (assuming this is true). If that is the case, CX, ultimately, doesn't really care about providing an exclusive, quiet, comfortable, F lounge experience. They just care about having a nice enough F lounge to attract all OW elites to use it so they can bankroll the money.

As for F exclusive lounge, CX simply don't have the F volume to justify that concept.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Gold
Any update on when the Pier First Class Lounge will reopen? I had read end of May?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by Fagin
Any update on when the Pier First Class Lounge will reopen? I had read end of May?
I read (in Aus Business traveller I think) late June.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:41 am

The re-opening is creeping forward. In Feb Pier J told me it would be April...above I see May and then June. I'm looking forward to it though, I've always found it peaceful and never crowded and expect to find they will have done a tasteful and superlative refurb.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
The Wing was a hot mess on Tuesday

I flew threw HKG on a F class ticket and the Wing had 26 people in a line to enter the restaurant at 8AM. This was compounded that business class customers were going into the overflow area which is for F class passengers as nobody was checking boarding passes on the business class side. A real mess.

The lounge cannot open soon enough. I actually went to the J class lounge and just grabbed a noodle soup on the fly.

I think it is time for CX to do what BA does with their Concorde lounges.....ONLY F class passengers, no frequent fliers. I have no doubt that 60%+ of the people in the lounge were diamond Members and not in F class.

Do to the lounge so very busy they had barely any staff in the lounge area bringing coffee sodas etc. Service was terrible.

They need to work on this. Travel safe all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.