Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

08:45 departure, when is the cut-off time for check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

08:45 departure, when is the cut-off time for check in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LchChester
Perhaps it is not difficult for you to get up that early in the morning... it sounds a bit crazy to me to get on a 5am bus for a 8:45flight. You will arrive airport before 6 and spend 2 hours at the Plaza Premium Lounge.... I think a bus around 6:30am is safe enough. There won't be any traffic at that early hour.

If i were you, i will go for bus as well since multiple MTR transit and change bus at Tung Chung sounds no fun... plus I guess it is possible that there may be a long queue of people working in the airport at that hour at Tung Chung bus station.
According to City Bus site, it is a total 89? minutes ride from end to end. That is one hour and 15 minutes. Minus the 15 minutes from TST, we would be at airport at 6am the earliest. And if we have to board the 21A, it would be 6:15 at least.

I am not seeing a regular A bus passes this station though. The regular bus is an E bus which would take much longer than 30 min to arrive HKG.

Best option is to stay at SkyCity where we have used last January when we were in transit US to DPS and had a forced overnight in HKG. On the subsequent 2 visits we spend several days in Hong Kong first and opted for mid-day departures for obvious reasons. This time it is a bit tough due to the availability of award seats HKG-TYO around the 3 days cluster I am looking at, that the 0845 flight seems to be the most optimal compromise we could make. The SkyCity rates whether in Cash or in Point are simply too high to justify using it this time. So we will tough it out this time.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Those times are factored in traffic aka used during the day.

Off peak times can be given a 25-33% discount.

When my gf takes the last 603 bus home, it takes her ard 40 mins(sometimes less) oon an advertised 60-70 mins.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by christep
I would say that the chances of your bus breaking down or being stuck in or behind a traffic accident are significantly higher than any significant delay on the MTR.
I dont worry about the MTR, I am more concerned about changing to Airport Express train at Ching Yi. If I understand it correctly, the Airport Express train does not run nearly as frequently as the MTR system. What if we miss the Airport Train at Ching Yi and need to wait for another one? As it is now even when everything goes smoothly we have only 30 min to spare.

With the bus, I imagine at 4:50, the traffic accident chance is low. There is another one at 05:10 too. I assume if the 4:50 has mechanical breakdown, the 5:10 would pick up the slack. With the bus we should be at the airport at 6:40 or so, versus the MTR/Airport Express combo would be at almost 8:00 - a full hour later IF everything runs smoothly.

There is a reason for the N buses - to enable people get to places in time BEFORE the MTR service starts (it starts surprisingly late comparing to other cities in the world).
Aex comes every 10 mins and is signposted ratger well...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Looking at CX548, HKG-HND, departs at 08:45.

When is the cut-off for check in assuming OLCI does not work? (never works for us on BA redemption). Also I am afraid our 21" US carry-on bags would need to be checked instead of going onboard as cabin luggage for the regional flight.

Based on MTR site the travel time from where we stay (at friend's place) to Tung Chung is 29 min. Problem is the earliest train leaves at 06:20. There is also the time for the S1 travels to HKG.
I was able to do OLCI for my last two BA redemptions, so you'll probably be OK in terms of checkin.

Assuming you are in Kowloon (and not near Kowloon Station) and you were wiling to pay for the airport hotel, then you can easily pay for a taxi to any MTR station on the Tung Chung line and then transfer to the Airport Express at Tsing Yi. Variation is to take a taxi directly to Tsing Yi, and if you show your taxi receipt you can get a discount on the Airport Express.

Option three is to take a taxi to Nam Cheong station on the Tung Chung line and catch the A21 bus, which probably runs every 15-20 minutes at that time in the morning but will more or less get to the airport within 30-40 minutes once you board.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:48 am
Suspended

Checkin deadline at airport 40 mins. 0805 hkt. Insanely tight if u take the train deaprting hk station at 0740. But sufficient for the 0730(tsing yi dept 0743)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.