Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Anybody knows when CX will get their A350?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody knows when CX will get their A350?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
i didn't realize this.....what?! CX's long-haul J hard product is fantastic. Perhaps a tweak here and there - video screen, headphones, etc. - but overall it's one of the best long-haul J class hard products out there! It's the soft aspects of CX J like F&B that are woeful!

what a waste of money IMO. we'll really have a new longhaul J in 12 months?! it better just be a touch up on the current version. look around and heaps of airlines out there have copied the reverse herringbone, for good reason. it's a fantastic hard product.
Agree.
But I do not like the short haul J - the new with the tray coming out from under the tv and folding horizontally. There is somehow never a comfortable position.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:32 pm

i didn't realize this.....what?! CX's long-haul J hard product is fantastic. Perhaps a tweak here and there - video screen, headphones, etc. - but overall it's one of the best long-haul J class hard products out there! It's the soft aspects of CX J like F&B that are woeful!

what a waste of money IMO. we'll really have a new longhaul J in 12 months?! it better just be a touch up on the current version. look around and heaps of airlines out there have copied the reverse herringbone, for good reason. it's a fantastic hard product.
They can't rest on their laurels, as good as the current J is. Like you say, other airlines are copying (i.e matching) them and they need to look for the next generation. Take BA as an example. Club World was truly groundbreaking when it first came out, but they stopped innovating and now its distinctly average and slipping fast. CX have a lead on the competition and they need to stay ahead of the pack.

QR have taken reverse herringbone and made it better. JL have their Sky Suites. CX J wont be class leading for long...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:33 pm

Well most other airlines who have announced reverse herringbone are still far from implementing it in their fleet in the way CX has done- all medium and long flights except 2 cities
Thts why CX is revamping now so their new cabins will be a generation ahead of EVA etc.

The seats have a life of 7 years but Slosar said they will be replaced before then.
Cannot believe it is 10 years since the coffin.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Agree.
But I do not like the short haul J - the new with the tray coming out from under the tv and folding horizontally. There is somehow never a comfortable position.
Build quality of that table, as well as of the whole seat, has been a problem.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:35 am

Cathay's business class is indeed great, but you can't stay still in this game – product cycles are shortening, and the risk is that competitors won't just be playing 'catch up', they will be leaping ahead... so in a sense, CX also has to take this step ahead or it's going to inevitably fall behind.

Part of me hopes the new business class (codenamed FB3, as in 'flatbed 3rd generation') is 'evolution not revolution', like a CX J 1.5 (or 2.5 when you consider Coffin Class was FB1) - because as you rightly say, the current product is great.

But I doubt that a company like Porsche Design has been signed up to do a .5 rev, especially for the airline's new flagship. They may well take learnings from FB2 but I'd expect something which is very different from the current J.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Agree.
Agrees completely. It looks nice superficially at first....and then you sit in it for an extended period, especially if you want to relax and recline, and it's a disaster.

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Cathay's business class is indeed great, but you can't stay still in this game – product cycles are shortening, and the risk is that competitors won't just be playing 'catch up', they will be leaping ahead... so in a sense, CX also has to take this step ahead or it's going to inevitably fall behind.

Part of me hopes the new business class (codenamed FB3, as in 'flatbed 3rd generation') is 'evolution not revolution', like a CX J 1.5 (or 2.5 when you consider Coffin Class was FB1) - because as you rightly say, the current product is great.

But I doubt that a company like Porsche Design has been signed up to do a .5 rev, especially for the airline's new flagship. They may well take learnings from FB2 but I'd expect something which is very different from the current J.
Fair on the innovation part. I already cannot wait until QR has their new J class guaranteed to HKG...I've flown them a bit before and certainly will do it more going forward if that 787 longhaul J they have consistently comes to HKG.

That said, I hope CX doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. There is a reason most of the best longhaul J products these days are (IMO) reverse herringbone. A standard is finally being set for design style....took everyone a while to figure out how to do flat beds correctly, and count me in the camp who thinks reverse herringbone is the best overall design
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:03 am

The new J seats that will be on the A350 will not have any radical changes compared to the current J seat. Basically an improvement over the current offering.

So within in 10 years, we're most likely to see 2 business class products. The one on the A359/A3510 and the 777X.

A bit OT, but who wins between SQ's BMW seats with CX's Porsche seats?!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
If they do redesign, I sure hope they can do something about the ottoman / foot rest.

It is perfectly positioned when the seat is completely flat. But if you want to recline, there is a large gap between the seat and the ottoman. I'm about 5' 11" (180cm) and my feet cannot reach the ottoman, and dangle off the seat. Not very comfortable.

I can maneuver the seat forward, but if I recall properly it's not quite enough, and as you move it forward the seat back starts to decline (beyond a comfortable recline).

Also, when I finally do get the seat adjusted as best as possible, I then have to contend with seat exit and reentry. You can't just swing your feet/legs out. It takes a fair about of flexibility and gymnastic moves to extract from the seat when it's in a reclined position. So I'm faced with the choice of going through these moves, or instead wait as the seat slowly returns to a sitting position. (Oh, and I also need to make sure I don't have charger cords getting caught in the gap between the seat and the console, or my tablet is not in some sort of overhanging position that will cause it to get crushed as the seat moves!)

The point is that any redesign will hopefully take FEET into account! :-)

I also wish they'd find some sort of drink holders. A full glass and any turbulence make for a nervous PAX. It's even worse in F. (I've had a drink spill. It doesn't run all over you... it instead runs right into the built-in cubby box, which of course WAS holding electronics such as phone. I never use that box now.)

They should look to boat/yacht builders for seating advice. Water travel and air travel are probably similar in their need for comfort and utility in face of quite varied conditions (waves and turbulence).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

Can't wait for these A350s! Does anyone know when the new J will be revealed? It's less than a year away for the 350s.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
It's the soft aspects of CX J like F&B that are woeful!
Woeful, that is a bit harsh. The F part is on par (better IMO) with QR. The B part is not woeful compared to others besides QR who has an amazing F like beverage selection in J.

Originally Posted by phol
QR have taken reverse herringbone and made it better. JL have their Sky Suites. CX J wont be class leading for long...
Maybe it is me, but I find the new QR J seat a bit cramped compared to the CX style J seat. That being said I would be more than happy with either one. One feature that QR has is the massager in the seat, which I like a lot. Hopefully CX will get that into their new seat.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Woeful, that is a bit harsh. The F part is on par (better IMO) with QR. The B part is not woeful compared to others besides QR who has an amazing F like beverage selection in J.

Maybe it is me, but I find the new QR J seat a bit cramped compared to the CX style J seat. That being said I would be more than happy with either one. One feature that QR has is the massager in the seat, which I like a lot. Hopefully CX will get that into their new seat.
CX used to have a massager on the coffin seats

I think they have moved away from that.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
If they do redesign, I sure hope they can do something about the ottoman / foot rest.

It is perfectly positioned when the seat is completely flat. But if you want to recline, there is a large gap between the seat and the ottoman. I'm about 5' 11" (180cm) and my feet cannot reach the ottoman, and dangle off the seat. Not very comfortable.

I can maneuver the seat forward, but if I recall properly it's not quite enough, and as you move it forward the seat back starts to decline (beyond a comfortable recline).

Also, when I finally do get the seat adjusted as best as possible, I then have to contend with seat exit and reentry. You can't just swing your feet/legs out. It takes a fair about of flexibility and gymnastic moves to extract from the seat when it's in a reclined position. So I'm faced with the choice of going through these moves, or instead wait as the seat slowly returns to a sitting position. (Oh, and I also need to make sure I don't have charger cords getting caught in the gap between the seat and the console, or my tablet is not in some sort of overhanging position that will cause it to get crushed as the seat moves!)

The point is that any redesign will hopefully take FEET into account! :-)

I also wish they'd find some sort of drink holders. A full glass and any turbulence make for a nervous PAX. It's even worse in F. (I've had a drink spill. It doesn't run all over you... it instead runs right into the built-in cubby box, which of course WAS holding electronics such as phone. I never use that box now.)

They should look to boat/yacht builders for seating advice. Water travel and air travel are probably similar in their need for comfort and utility in face of quite varied conditions (waves and turbulence).
Agree

And maybe they can find a way to let travel companion to have discussion easier / get closer (though I don't have such needs now... Hopefully will )
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I actually miss the seats before the coffin seats.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Maybe it is me, but I find the new QR J seat a bit cramped compared to the CX style J seat.
I haven't flown the QR Cirrus seat but the CX Cirrus appears to have much more privacy, particularly around the head which I value.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
I haven't flown the QR Cirrus seat but the CX Cirrus appears to have much more privacy, particularly around the head which I value.
the Cirrus seat Cathay has, was tailored made to CX demands - AA then got the rights to that from CX

all others have gone for the brochure design.

and no other airline has the Cirrus seat on as many aircraft as CX- not a surprise people refer to it as the CX seas cause even though US got it first CX was the one who really brought it out as a winner- then everyone copied.

hopefully they do the same with the new designs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.