Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reduction in Lounge Access for MPO SL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduction in Lounge Access for MPO SL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by JALPak
Hopefully CX will also change the elite qualification requirement as part of this MPC tier status review. Adding a min club miles requirement to those qualified by sector flown should further ease the lounge problem.
You are making assumption that flying 30,000 miles cost more than flying 20 sectors. It may not be the case.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And often the short haul flights are more profitable than the lon haul flights.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
Not when you are flying TPE-HKG-China
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Not when you are flying TPE-HKG-China
you would be surprised but most do not fly I-class.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Hahhaha, good point, I'm still debating remaining CX GO or go to AA Plat (I should be able to sustain 60K next year), but good point, in the future I will be at best AA Plat.....
Bahaha but if you ask me since Y crediting (guarantee Y) and Lounges are most important for you, stick with CX GO ^
AA Plat and AA EXP are pretty much dimes a dozen, do that DFW-HKG and you might have 30 EXPs awaiting an upgrade

This is probably the number 1 reason they wanted to cut SL lounge privilege. $50 per pop per SL is a huge number for CX in the long run.

I stand by my assessment CX will see a major hit in N. American CX SL members going elsewhere if lounge privilege is limited.
I agree they will take a bit of a hit, considering how minimal the benefits of CX SL it already is.
I think the cost is more like $15-20 bucks a person, but still a cost nonetheless.

Originally Posted by lingua101
You are making assumption that flying 30,000 miles cost more than flying 20 sectors. It may not be the case.
It certainly isn't for the Student crowd who fly HKG- Australia/NZ/Europe/Canada/US, only need 2-3 rt each year really.

Originally Posted by kaka
1) removing SL's lounge access seems like CX figures they have too many silvers who goes to lounges so often yet they wont make gold. they fly CX, but and they fly rare, but there's *MANY* of them
Case above, but in the travelling students, how much is lounges for keeping them CX Loyal, not that much really.
Some students might fly J, for every 1, there might 10 in the back.

[SIZE=1]
If the root cause is too many DM/GO onsaid flights, things wont change too much- especially when cx looks at high value routes most of the time
Agreed, try going to the Wing on Monday 7-8am, the line for the Haven is 10 deep!

Or fly one of those PVG/PEK commuter flights, DM/GO/OWE/OWS might be 75% of the flight
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Hahhaha, good point, I'm still debating remaining CX GO or go to AA Plat (I should be able to sustain 60K next year), but good point, in the future I will be at best AA Plat.....
Bahaha but if you ask me since Y crediting (guarantee Y) and Lounges are most important for you, stick with CX GO ^
AA Plat and AA EXP are pretty much dimes a dozen, do that DFW-HKG and you might have 30 EXPs awaiting an upgrade

This is probably the number 1 reason they wanted to cut SL lounge privilege. $50 per pop per SL is a huge number for CX in the long run.

I stand by my assessment CX will see a major hit in N. American CX SL members going elsewhere if lounge privilege is limited.
I agree they will take a bit of a hit, considering how minimal the benefits of CX SL it already is.
I think the cost is more like $15-20 bucks a person, but still a cost nonetheless.

Originally Posted by lingua101
It certainly isn't for the Student crowd who fly HKG- Australia/NZ/Europe/Canada/US, only need 2-3 rt each year really.

1) removing SL's lounge access seems like CX figures they have too many silvers who goes to lounges so often yet they wont make gold. they fly CX, but and they fly rare, but there's *MANY* of them
Case above, but in the travelling students, how much is lounges for keeping them CX Loyal, not that much really.

[SIZE=1]
If the root cause is too many DM/GO onsaid flights, things wont change too much- especially when cx looks at high value routes most of the time
Agreed, try going to the Wing on Monday 7-8am, the line for the Haven is 10 deep!

Or fly one of those PVG/PEK commuter flights, DM/GO/OWE/OWS might be 75% of the flight
Dont forget most students stay from break to break, most ticket ex hkg, a few might think about alternatives but many would just fly cx a la "ba is terrible, virgin is terrible" thinking from parents. Lounge? Gotta be great! Thinking. (I can think of my parents and percysmith's in ft already)

You might think students = price sensitive, but in reality cases is most likely negative.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:04 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
you would be surprised but most do not fly I-class.
I was not referring to I class
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

I was not referring to I class
even less fly on low-Y fares.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

I was only Gold for a little while before I advanced into DM, so I probably undervalued the Gold benefits. You are right, guaranteed V fare, lounge access, reasonable expectations of op-up chances, ability to use Admiral's Club when I fly domestic AA (right?), yeah, I'll probably stick with CX.

But if somehow I can't make GO, probably AA Plat is the way to go (50K miles)
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
for ultra-long haul connection SLs (e.g. Oz/NZ to Middle East/Europe) like me, unlimited lounge access is more like a strong 'perceived' benefit to keep loyalty; the reality is they probably don't need to access lounges for more than 10 times a year (4 access per round trip). giving them vouchers won't harm them much, while an unlimited lounge access is a 'feel good' factor which affect people's airline choice in favour of CX.

on these ultra-long haul routes one can basically chose to fly anyone; competition is intensive. thus, a stronger loyalty makes a difference.

if CX was going to push forward the proposition, i'd hope that they digitalised the voucher wherever possible. too cumbersome to have paper vouchers. air NZ's lounge access vouchers are digital ones. how CX could manage it with 3rd party outstation lounges is beyond my thinking though.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering

on these ultra-long haul routes one can basically chose to fly anyone; competition is intensive. thus, a stronger loyalty makes a difference.
Say a typical Chinese living in America, Hong Kong is never their final destination. They take flight say from JFK to China city via HKG. So they use lounge once in JFK, once in HKG, then back the same, once in China City, once in HKG. That's 4 lounge accesses. Now, from JFK you needed two trips to make SL, so that's 8 lounge accesses. This is for bare minimal SL. Say they take one more trip, that's 12 lounge accesses, 45-50K SL. If they reduced SL to 4 per year or whatever low number, that's not helpful.

Now for a less frequent business traveler like myself. Say I went back to the level of twice a year, but I usually do 3 city CX/KA only hop. EWR-HKG-PVG-HKG-CTU-HKG-TPE-HKG-EWR. Yes, people like me go out of our way to stay loyal (i.e. more revenue) for CX. Even knowing full well these routes at our great detriment and CX offers very high fare for certain cities (I don't remember once I've gotten anything less than full Y fare for WNZ and TPE routes just so I can get the miles, CTU routes mostly full Y fare as well.) So one trip for me I needed to use the lounge 8 times. Two trips = 16 times. If CX is telling me to reward my loyalty, at full fare short-haul routes that's way overpriced vs. competitors, they will only give me access to lounge 25% of the time (4 lounge access per year), I will just go elsewhere.

I will probably go to MU for domestic, prices are competitive and you can always do last minute cash upgrades at $600-$1000 RMB onboard if not at check-in to J class. Not better than CX but way better than CX Y and much cheaper when all is said and done.

I really hope some CX management is reading this and realized a SL member is not as "cheap" as they think by just looking at mileage flown.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I really hope some CX management is reading this and realized a SL member is not as "cheap" as they think by just looking at mileage flown.
Consider the lack of the understanding of "unintended consequences" by QF management with respect to QFF OW Sapphire and Emerald members. And the extended family influence these members have (especially with respect to international).

I activated CX Silver because I could see loss of AA PLT by 2016 (or earlier)
even though I have AA "lifetime" Gold. Couple that with the loss of QF international flights exPER. Forward looking management is a rare breed these days.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF WP
I guess the question here is, is it due to costs or is it due to crowds? If it's all about costs, then as long as the reduction in revenue is lower than the expenses saved, there's nothing we can argue on.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I guess the question here is, is it due to costs or is it due to crowds? If it's all about costs, then as long as the reduction in revenue is lower than the expenses saved, there's nothing we can argue on.
Which begs the question, does CX get bad data on cost saved vs. revenue lost, that's the argument here.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by sxc
That's precisely my point. Those who qualify using sectors probably more profitable than those qualify by miles.

Someone can just fly 1-2 long haul flights and clock the miles. That's not very frequent flier right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.