Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Miles redemption - Priority Awards Tier 1 / 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles redemption - Priority Awards Tier 1 / 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Blog post on Priority 1/Priority 2 re HKG-LAX http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13189

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 24, 2014 at 2:13 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
Blog post on Priority 1/Priority 2 re HKG-LAX
Where?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:13 am

Sorry, added http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13189
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:11 am

Some bugs relating to Priority 1/Priority 2 booking - not evey case but this one's rather spectacular:

The original redemption was a HKG-MEL-HKG Premium Economy Priority 2 redemption for 140,000 AM and $2,394 YQ
cathaypacific.com gave an Economy seat for Premium Economy price
And then overcharged $25,910!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'd be very grateful for CX to reduce partner award availability for J and F, I'd be happy to pay a little more if it meant significantly better available for MPCs.
There is a better way for them to accomplish this: adjust the cost for partner awards.

It is significantly cheaper to gain J/F seats through partner awards than it is through AM. Maybe 30% fewer miles are needed.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
I'm impressed (in a way)
The availability for preferred dates under Priority1 is pretty superb. As a test case I've tried Xmas Weekend (27-28Dec) for BKK/SIN/Tokyo... in all cases "standard" awards are all sold out but "priority 1" is widely available. As someone pointed out earlier, the priority 1 availability seems a lot better than previous "priority award" availability... also the 50% or so premium in redemption threshold is not unreasonable in my view for such superb availability.

We all know Airline FFP miles are always devalued one way or other. I think effectively CX is making it near impossible to issue a "standard" award (I've tried all dates for Nov-Dec nothing available SYD-HKG one way any dates) so in stealth it's a 50% devaluation of points... but then comes good flexibility... sooner or later the Priority1 availability will be so crap that you are forced to use P2 release, which then, is next step of devaluation.

but making sure other partners only have access to the "standard" bucket, it makes it a win-win for CX and loyal AM/MPC base users.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fakecd
I'm impressed (in a way)
but making sure other partners only have access to the "standard" bucket, it makes it a win-win for CX and loyal AM/MPC base users.
Precisely. I suspect CX knows the demand is there, and it's a question of either a.) charging AA more for those cheap AAdvantage long-haul F awards as Gongzuokang alludes to above, or b.) doing something like this, basically cutting back on partner availability.

I don't know enough about the economics to understand if it's acceptable / possible / etc. for CX to increase its cut from AA awards. But, I suspect there is some type of standardized OW agreement that prevents this and that's why CX is choosing the route they have. Personally, even as a DM, I have been unable to obtain F upgrade awards on a number of occasions in the last year, primarily on to/from North America flights. I'm not a fan of Instant Upgrades at the airport - particularly since the waitlist is RESET (grr..) on the day of the flight, and a new waitlist is created at the airport based on an elite-ranked, first-come, first-served basis. This annoys me a lot - I often show up to flights at the last minute, and despite maybe being atop the MPC upgrade award waitlist, Instant Upgrade awards favor people who have hours to burn and arrive early at the airport - but that rant isn't for here.

Here's an example from a few months ago: I waitlisted for an F upgrade award to SFO in the weeks before the flight, didn't clear. I am not a fan of Instant Upgrades due to the dynamic I describe above. Yet when I got to the airport near departure time, I discovered I was op-upped that flight to F, the very flight I had unsuccessfully tried to burn miles to upgrade on weeks ago. And upon boarding, I met a friendly gentleman and his wife who had burned AA miles for the flight for a vacation. This craziness is squarely on CX! I didn't mind in that situation, but I wish I had more predictability in knowing. By a.) releasing significant #s of partner awards very early, and then b.) having the Instant Upgrade waitlist reset, in essence they lost revenues from me trying to burn AM.

My strong suspicion - given the vastly inferior earn/burn ratio on MPC vs AAdvantage - is the $ revenue to CX from me burning Asia Miles is a lot higher than an AA award. So I wonder if CX is just doing the calculation that (x) amount of seats get used up by awards travel, both partner and Asia Miles, and a way for them to increase revenue is to see if there is greater demand among the MPCs to burn more miles at the expense of partner awards. It's also a nice way to enhance the value of MPC, something of a silver lining to mileage devaluation.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
This doesn't seem to work anyway. Looking at REP and BKI at Easter - looks full on Standard and has seats on P1 and P2. but when you go t book it gets errors.

I called MPC and they don't see the availability.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
New Priority Award Level?

As I try to check the award availability today for my BKK short escape, I notice the following

Redeem flight award served by Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, British Airways or Qantas Airways for yourself and your Redemption Group in First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy Classes or Priority Awards Tiers 1 and 2 in Economy Class and Premium Economy Class* served by Cathay Pacific and Dragonair.

* Available on Cathay Pacific only
And reference to Asiamiles site, new award chart as well....

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
There's been that opinion for a while now I think. Basically more availability for much more mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.