Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific operated by Air China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Hi, I found a Cathay Pacific flight operated by Air china... what ff programs would they accept ? I thought Cathay was one world but its operated by Air China, would they accept Star Alliance FF programs also or only Air China ?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Air China and Cathay Pacific have a swap equity deal and CX can be in any partnership they wish.

So if you book on that flight, only miles can be credited to either Air China's programme or Asia Miles since its the operating carrier's rules that count. However for OW partners, Cx's flight must be operated by a fellow OW partner which in this case is not, so no miles to them, eg BA or AA's programme.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I'm curious, would this flight earn club miles? I know you can earn AM on all CA flights but at an abysmal 25% rate and that doesn't earn club miles or sectors.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I think the answer to this will depend on the flight number. It is probably a codeshare. If you book it with a CX code (usually "CX" followed by four numbers rather than three) - and it sounds as though that is what you have done - then my understanding is that you can credit it to a oneworld programme or Asia Miles/Marco Polo but not to a Star Alliance programme nor to Air China's programme. I am happy to be corrected, but I think that is correct.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I think the answer to this will depend on the flight number. It is probably a codeshare. If you book it with a CX code (usually "CX" followed by four numbers rather than three) - and it sounds as though that is what you have done - then my understanding is that you can credit it to a oneworld programme or Asia Miles/Marco Polo but not to a Star Alliance programme nor to Air China's programme. I am happy to be corrected, but I think that is correct.
Uh, no. If you booked with a cx flight number, you can earn Club miles if you credit to MPC. But you earn nothing if you credit to any OW programme as with the rules with OW, you can only earn if the operating carrier is part of OW.

It holds true if its a AA flight number and flight operated by Etihad. You can only earn on AAdvantage but not on CX.

However, since Air China and CX are partners in each other's programme, you can also credit the above CX flight to Air China's FFP.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you book it with a CX code (usually "CX" followed by four numbers rather than three) - and it sounds as though that is what you have done - then my understanding is that you can credit it to a oneworld programme or Asia Miles/Marco Polo but not to a Star Alliance programme nor to Air China's programme.
I think you can credit a flight with a CX code to a Star Alliance FFP, if the flight is operated by Air China and if the booking class is eligable for mileage accrual for that specific FFP.
Usually the operating carrier pays the FFP to credit miles to that FFP.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm curious, would this flight earn club miles? I know you can earn AM on all CA flights but at an abysmal 25% rate and that doesn't earn club miles or sectors.
For CA-coded FLTs, it's either 50% or 0% for classes below Y, never 25%.

Originally Posted by warakorn
I think you can credit a flight with a CX code to a Star Alliance FFP, if the flight is operated by Air China and if the booking class is eligable for mileage accrual for that specific FFP.
Usually the operating carrier pays the FFP to credit miles to that FFP.
No and no.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Uh, no. If you booked with a cx flight number, you can earn Club miles if you credit to MPC. But you earn nothing if you credit to any OW programme as with the rules with OW, you can only earn if the operating carrier is part of OW.

It holds true if its a AA flight number and flight operated by Etihad. You can only earn on AAdvantage but not on CX.

However, since Air China and CX are partners in each other's programme, you can also credit the above CX flight to Air China's FFP.
I second that this is the correct answe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.