Wiki Posts
Search

CNY flight prices HKG-Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze

Can anyone give an indication of approximate flight prices during previous Chinese New Years from Hong Kong to Japan R/T? CX preferred but NH and BR would also be fine. Looks like I have to make that trip on these dates, unrelated to CNY holidays. Trying to establish what's a reasonable price to pay for this in Y, and therefore when to book.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

I don't have historical fare figures, but in my experience booking other trips over CNY in the past, the fares only go up the closer you get. I wouldn't recommend holding out for something cheaper -- you're likely to end up with something significantly more expensive, with fewer flight options.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
+1 the prices usually won't every come down during those peak season. So I would say try to book sooner rather than later
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
but in my experience booking other trips over CNY in the past, the fares only go up the closer you get.
Does CX really increase fare for the same booking class ?
In that case, GO/DM guarantee seat privilege is useless.
Probably, you mean lower booking class won't be available ?
Because of GO/DM privilege, we had better distinguish those two things in this forum.

At least for ex-JPN fare, CX doesn't increase the fares depending on time to departure date.
For HKG-JPN fare, NH doesn't increase fare (fixed fare table, at least if you buy from the web).
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/hk/e/local/fare/index_jp.html

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Oct 5, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Try to use miles. Also note that Asia-Japan-US (with a stopover in Japan) is often very cheap during CNY.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
[QUOTE=Wasabi Tofu;23601430]
but in my experience booking other trips over CNY in the past, the fares only go up the closer you get.QUOTE]

Does CX really increase fare for the same booking class ?
In that case, GO/DM guarantee seat privilege is useless.
Probably, you mean lower booking class won't be available ?
Because of GO/DM privilege, we had better distinguish those two things in this forum.

At least for ex-JPN fare, CX doesn't increase the fares depending on time to departure date.
For HKG-JPN fare, NH doesn't increase fare (fixed fare table, at least if you buy from the web).
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/hk/e/local/fare/index_jp.html
I meant the cheaper buckets sell out. The seat guarantee does help in this situation but I suspect OP isn't eligible or he wouldn't have asked.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Maybe if you return a tat later then everyone it could be cheaper

Last edited by Wongo; Sep 30, 2014 at 2:02 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the insights - might not hang around then!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
[QUOTE=CrazyJ82;23601778]
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

I meant the cheaper buckets sell out. The seat guarantee does help in this situation but I suspect OP isn't eligible or he wouldn't have asked.
Does anyone know is guarantee seat still available for V if ex-HKG V has a selling restriction like must be 2 or more person travelling together? Can V still be ticketed under the seat guarantee?

Thanks~
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

[QUOTE=sscywong]
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

Does anyone know is guarantee seat still available for V if ex-HKG V has a selling restriction like must be 2 or more person travelling together? Can V still be ticketed under the seat guarantee?

Thanks~
None. U just hv to find a published fare for this ticket. Might b from cx, might b from TAs.

Btw tge guarantee is only for the gold card holder
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=sscywong;23629239]

Thanks~
In my understanding, the V seat guarantee only applies to the member him/herself
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: QF WP
I have seen in the past where CX indeed increased fares for the same booking class over peak periods. Haven't done much research on it though - I simply gave up that time.

And generally speaking, flying in the region around Chinese New Year time have fares somewhere between ridiculously high and simply astronomical. If you see anything that's remotely decent and acceptable, book it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I have seen in the past where CX indeed increased fares for the same booking class over peak periods. Haven't done much research on it though - I simply gave up that time.

And generally speaking, flying in the region around Chinese New Year time have fares somewhere between ridiculously high and simply astronomical. If you see anything that's remotely decent and acceptable, book it.
It really depends on where you want to go. Some routes are dirt cheap during cny.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy

Managed 4450 HKD on BR which I thought wasn't bad in the circumstances. Other options on decent airlines were significantly more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.