Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific versus Singapore Airlines. Which is best for Frequent Flyers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

More importantly, I find that a better product than the 'widest in the sky', sit straight (but cramped-ish)/sleep diagonal seat that SQ has..and needs you to get out/flip over to make into a bed..
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
This really is an incomplete listing on the benefits of either FFPs...

On CX, there is life above Diamond, and that is Diamond Plus, and Diamond Invitation.

On SQ, there's life above KF Gold and that's PPS, Solitaire and LT Solitaire.

Once you factor these other above and beyond levels, then you might have a better comparison.
WRONG....... Perhaps you missed the point of this post? I'm talking about flying around Asia in ECONOMY CLASS. You cannot get into SQ PPS unless you spent $$$ in Business class....... So, the comparison is entirely valid as it stands....!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
With a similar travel pattern, I'll second this comparison (and will likely refer friends and colleagues to it when they ask why I don't fly SQ even being based in Singapore!)
An additional point or two:
- CX has a slightly better route network, with some tag flights and frequencies that make travel in the region better. I'm thinking here of the greater frequencies between SIN-HKG, as well as the BKK route.
- Pricing. CX has promo pricing regularly, though you have to look for it. I've often flown CX for less than or equal to the discount/budget carriers, with a DBS/ANZ/HSBC special fare (they pretty much rotate but there's always one on, it seems like). SQ has some of this out of HK just as CX does out of SIN, but the fares' availability is far more limited due to fewer flights and SQ generally doesn't seem to run them as often.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by lingua101
The other thing I do not like about CX MPC is no sector credit on sub class below V.

It will be good if they give sector credit aslo on those classes
Still better than paying almost twice on the intra-Asia fares to get 100% mileage when you only need V to get 100% on CX.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
With a similar travel pattern, I'll second this comparison (and will likely refer friends and colleagues to it when they ask why I don't fly SQ even being based in Singapore!)
Hey- us SIN based CX flyers should meetup! missed a couple of folks at the CX lunch with Lewis Pugh...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by alphaod
Still better than paying almost twice on the intra-Asia fares to get 100% mileage when you only need V to get 100% on CX.
not really sure what you mean..... are you saying that on SQ to get 100% you need to pay double the amount you pay on CX V class?

If you say this, I can say, I can pay cheaper Q fares with TG to get 100% miles.

I also think you do not get my point. I am saying "it will be good....."
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR

- Pricing. CX has promo pricing regularly, though you have to look for it. I've often flown CX for less than or equal to the discount/budget carriers, with a DBS/ANZ/HSBC special fare (they pretty much rotate but there's always one on, it seems like). SQ has some of this out of HK just as CX does out of SIN, but the fares' availability is far more limited due to fewer flights and SQ generally doesn't seem to run them as often.
The CX promo fares which is less or equal to the budget carrier, does not qualify for elite sectors right?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
not really sure what you mean..... are you saying that on SQ to get 100% you need to pay double the amount you pay on CX V class?

If you say this, I can say, I can pay cheaper Q fares with TG to get 100% miles.

I also think you do not get my point. I am saying "it will be good....."
Yeah I'm saying for a lot routes you need the Flexi fare on SQ to get 100% miles which is almost twice as expensive at the Core fare needed on CX to 100% miles.

If you want to buy Q fares on TG by all means do so, but aren't we comparing SQ to CX here?

Anyways I got the last part. It would definitely be great if CX at least gave partial miles or sectors for lower than V class fares.

Not trying to argue against what you're saying; just expressing what I think.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:35 am

I use CX but credit to QR FFP, because N,Q,S earns status points in QR but not CX.

to me, CX discount tickets allow me to earn status points, and they are quite handy. for SQ, the 10% miles is pitiful and does not get you anywhere in any *A FFP.

I think Cathay Lounge is very good and i dont mind a short stopover and i love Hong Kong food.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
This thread was posted on SQ forum for couple of weeks and didn't draw any interest. Posted on CX forum and over 20 replies.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Yeah I'm saying for a lot routes you need the Flexi fare on SQ to get 100% miles which is almost twice as expensive at the Core fare needed on CX to 100% miles.

If you want to buy Q fares on TG by all means do so, but aren't we comparing SQ to CX here?

Anyways I got the last part. It would definitely be great if CX at least gave partial miles or sectors for lower than V class fares.

Not trying to argue against what you're saying; just expressing what I think.
OK. I also not trying to argue, but trying to put some perspective.

In order to get 100% miles on SQ, you need to buy E fare (well sometimes H fare can also get you 100% miles if you buy from website). As far as I recall, I never see this fare is twice the amount of what you paid for CX V class. At least ex-SIN.

Here are some of example when I am doing some dummy booking now.
SIN-HKG-SIN 26-Sep to 5-Oct
SQ H fare - SGD 745.20
SQ E fare - SGD 815.20
SQ V fare - SGD 418.20 (10% miles)

CX V fare - SGD 679.20
For some reason I cannot find any S class fare on CX now.

So I do not see SQ (E/H fares) is twice of CX V fares, as you said. Well, I am not sure if this is the case ex-PVG.

Also, what is more important that I want to highlight is in CX, if you pay anything below V fare, you got NOTHING toward your elite status.

In SQ you still get something toward the elite miles, although it is only 10%, sometimes 50%, depending on the sub class.

I am quoting TG, because we are comparing KF and MPC. At least for me, based in SIN, TG may be an option to clock my KF, since TG Q fares normally is not so bad.

As for MPC, there is not much choice ex-SIN for intra-Asia. Even MH, you need to pay quite high fare to even earn 50% on MPC.

I think at the end of the day, where you are based in and your flying pattern also play some roles to decide which FF is "better"
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by tboons
I use CX but credit to QR FFP, because N,Q,S earns status points in QR but not CX.
This is new for me. Let me double check again on QR.

I know some sub class that does not earn miles/elite sectors in CX does earn in AY.

This is why I found it strange in CX (and OW) setup. The airlines itself does not give miles/sectors, but the partner does. I thought should be the other way around.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:42 am

I think this is got to do with the geographical location. CX has advantages on this, as most (if not all) of their "regional" flight is really within 4-5 hours. Where for SQ some of the "regional" flight goes beyond 4-5 hours.

I disagree that CX longhaul hardware is better. I flew HKG-YYZ on 77W in Y. I think SQ Y in A380/77W and A330 is much better. Better seat, better IFE. Can't say much on C or F
regional / long haul is not based on geographical location- it is based on hours flown.

CX has effectively classified all flights over 4 hours as mid-haul so they get long haul cabins.
SQ could easily do the same but chooses not to so for flights 4-8 hours the SQ product is CRAP - do not blame geography this is just an area where SQ is behind...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hey- us SIN based CX flyers should meetup! missed a couple of folks at the CX lunch with Lewis Pugh...
Indeed
I actually have been meaning to post to see if any SIN-based flyers want to start a credit card booking pool so that when ANZ (for instance) is the promo fare of the day, we can all take advantage. I figure we need OCBC, ANZ, DBS and HSBC and we'll be able to take advantage of the CX ex-SIN promo fares 90+% of the time

(CX credit card promo fares do NOT generally require the card holder to travel, nor do they require the credit card to be shown at check-in, if purchased online by MPC members, so this works quite well)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by Kachjc
regional / long haul is not based on geographical location- it is based on hours flown.

CX has effectively classified all flights over 4 hours as mid-haul so they get long haul cabins.
SQ could easily do the same but chooses not to so for flights 4-8 hours the SQ product is CRAP - do not blame geography this is just an area where SQ is behind...

The new SQ regional J is really good, IMO. Would be happy in it for 4-5 hours. Would want flat bed for a 'sleeping' flight though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.