Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Walking distances arriving HKG on way to MNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR

I have an injured ankle and can walk but not far. It is worse after a long flight. I am flying from LAX into HKG and then changing planes to MNL. Flight Cx 881 LAX-HKG, then CX 907, business class. If the walking will be far, I need to arrange for a cart or wheelchair (and of course the office is closed today). How do I do that with the office closed? (or is the distance not far?)

And I do not see TSA-PRE on my boarding pass out of LAX, although I had told the travel agent the number. I am leaving tonight - is my only option to stand in line at the ticket counter?

Also, this on the Cathay site when I checked in online:

"Security Notice

Please make sure:

This is your bag.
You packed it yourself.
Your bag does not contain any item(s) that you are carrying on behalf of someone else.
Nobody has put anything into it since you packed it.
It does not contain any electrical or electronic item(s)."

Everyone brings their computers/iPads/phones on board. What do they mean no electronic items please? And I will pack my hair dryer/curler in my checked luggage (it wasn't clear that this was only referring to carry on or checked or both).

Last edited by onebigworld; Sep 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by onebigworld
And I do not see TSA on my boarding pass out of LAX, although I had told the travel agent the number. I am leaving tonight - is my only option to stand in line at the ticket counter?
Why would you see "TSA" on your BP? There is no TSA Pre at TBIT, nor is Pre available to passengers flying CX ex-USA.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Because I show this first boarding pass in LAX and that's how they determine whether you can go through the TSA line. Also on the last flight coming into the US.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:03 pm

As long as your have a valid ID and boarding pass, TSA will let you go through. TSA pre check is not avaliable in TBIT, nor any CX flight out of USA.

Just arrange a wheelchair for your own sake. Even same gate, you still have to pass through transit security at HKG which definitely involves some walking. Perhaps call the HK CX office for wheel chair service if US office is closed.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:22 pm

Don't worry about the electronic items. This is only for checked bags. You can take your laptop/tablet/phone etc in your carry on as usual. And to my knowledge an hairdryer should not cause any problems.

Hong Kong is relatively big, but has moving walkways and an underground train between the two ends of the main concourse. In any case you need to get from the gate to the security checkpoint (there are several) and then upstairs to your gate.

CX is very service oriented, I would check with them at LAX about your options.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thank you, neuro0. So when departing TBIT everyone removes their shoes, takes out laptops then?

When I return, I'd read here that with my Global Entry, I can use the kiosks.

Am on hold with the HK reservations line. The office there is closed on Sundays too.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Unterwegs, thank you. So a curling iron is best in checked or carry on?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Checked.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:30 pm

Because I show this first boarding pass in LAX and that's how they determine whether you can go through the TSA line. Also on the last flight coming into the US.
What is a "TSA line"? Everyone has to stand in a TSA screening line at US airports; if you don't you can't fly.

Perhaps you are confusing "TSA" and "PreCheck"?

If you have an injury, call CX and they will arrange transportation. The distance between gates cannot be predicted.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Also be aware that the walk at TBIT from TSA to gate can be significant so see about assistance.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, pssteve - I wondered about that. I'll start at the Cathay counter and make arrangements.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:34 pm

The best option is inform the agent that you will need a wheelchair. They will offer you wheelchair service at LAX, HKG, and MNL. In LAX there are dedicated screening lines for Business class and passengers requiring special assistance. They will also help you get into the lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:54 pm

I believe the main concern is batteries and potential battery fires (in addition to anything flammable like nail polish remover etc). A curling iron (at least the ones my wife is using) has no batteries, same as a hair dryer.
Notebook, Cell Phones etc have batteries, they could cause a fire.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I believe the main concern is batteries and potential battery fires (in addition to anything flammable like nail polish remover etc). A curling iron (at least the ones my wife is using) has no batteries, same as a hair dryer.
Notebook, Cell Phones etc have batteries, they could cause a fire.
So a small external battery for my iPhone is something I should bring in carry on along with my iPad, cell phone and laptop then. You are right, my curling iron is plug-in.

Thank you, ual.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So a small external battery for my iPhone is something I should bring in carry on along with my iPad, cell phone and laptop then. You are right, my curling iron is plug-in.

Thank you, ual.
I wouldn't sweat checking the battery back too much. On the off chance it gets nabbed, gadgets like that cost next to nothing in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.