Wiki Posts
Search

Early Access to Terminal 5 ORD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

I’ve been doing the CX807/CX806 roundtrip, ORD/HKG, every few months. Been flying J… trying F next month.

Home is DTW; fly Delta to ORD.

I need to arrive at least three hours early in order for Delta to transfer my checked bag to Cathay. (At least that’s what they tell me when I’m checking the bag in Detroit.) And I want to have a little extra buffer so if Delta cancels a flight, I can still get on the next one, and not miss my connection. So I am usually arriving ORD 4-5 hours ahead of the flight.

Unfortunately, Cathay only has the one counter in ORD Terminal 5. They don’t staff it all the time; I think they open it 2-3 hours before the scheduled departure.

Here’s the problem: Cathay stopped allowing online check-in. So I can’t get a boarding pass to gain entrance into Terminal 5. I’m stuck waiting in line at the counter. Stuck for a LONG time.

Of course, I have access to the Delta SkyClub, and can enjoy potato chips for a few hours. But I’d much prefer to wait in the CX partner lounges, but I can’t get into the terminal without a boarding pass! I also have Priority Pass, so I even have my choice of lounges in Terminal 5. But I can’t get into the terminal!

Any suggestions on how to gain access to terminal 5?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I’ve been doing the CX807/CX806 roundtrip, ORD/HKG, every few months. Been flying J… trying F next month.

Home is DTW; fly Delta to ORD.

I need to arrive at least three hours early in order for Delta to transfer my checked bag to Cathay. (At least that’s what they tell me when I’m checking the bag in Detroit.) And I want to have a little extra buffer so if Delta cancels a flight, I can still get on the next one, and not miss my connection. So I am usually arriving ORD 4-5 hours ahead of the flight.

Unfortunately, Cathay only has the one counter in ORD Terminal 5. They don’t staff it all the time; I think they open it 2-3 hours before the scheduled departure.

Here’s the problem: Cathay stopped allowing online check-in. So I can’t get a boarding pass to gain entrance into Terminal 5. I’m stuck waiting in line at the counter. Stuck for a LONG time.

Of course, I have access to the Delta SkyClub, and can enjoy potato chips for a few hours. But I’d much prefer to wait in the CX partner lounges, but I can’t get into the terminal without a boarding pass! I also have Priority Pass, so I even have my choice of lounges in Terminal 5. But I can’t get into the terminal!

Any suggestions on how to gain access to terminal 5?
Been awhile since I went to ORD, but in the past they are almost full staff counters at 12:30 p.m. Chicago time. Did they change that? Only one counter? Wow.... budget cuts?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Flight departs 15:30 Chicago time. So if 12:30 is still accurate, then 3 hours before flight. I arrive 4-5 hours before flight.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Is it possible to get a TA to ticket the DL tag on a CX ticket? And will DL check you all the way in? Not sure, just an idea.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:29 pm

I need to arrive at least three hours early in order for Delta to transfer my checked bag to Cathay. (At least that’s what they tell me when I’m checking the bag in Detroit.)
I'm surprised. The MCT applies both to people and to bags. And I don't believe the dom-int MCT is 3 hours, but unfortunately I cannot find an authoritative source to tell me what it is..
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

If DL is able to through-check your bag to HKG, as a J/F pax on CX you also have the option of killing time in the AA lounges in T3. These are accessible airside from the terminal DL uses. I don't know if you'd find these better or worse than the SkyClub, but it can give you a place to wait. In terms of space and natural light, I find this preferable to the BA J lounge in T5 (although lack of free food is annoying).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:28 pm

Flight departs 15:30 Chicago time. So if 12:30 is still accurate, then 3 hours before flight. I arrive 4-5 hours before flight.
AA has always been able to print CX boarding pass for me. Wouldn't Delta do the same for you? Especially if they can tagged baggage all the way through, they have to give you a boarding pass because of new rules about "bag/pax" have to stay together. I don't think you will have any problem getting a boarding pass from your origin of departure.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Especially if they can tagged baggage all the way through, they have to give you a boarding pass because of new rules about "bag/pax" have to stay together. I don't think you will have any problem getting a boarding pass from your origin of departure.
Some of this is true - but not always. It gets tricky when they are not part of same alliance or don't have full access to their systems. The "bag/pax" rule has been there for a while. The bags are just tagged to destination and if the "pax" doesn't show up, they will be removed from flight.

Someone here MUST have been in this situation and should be able to give more info.

Curious but why cant you do OLCI?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
AA has always been able to print CX boarding pass for me. Wouldn't Delta do the same for you? Especially if they can tagged baggage all the way through, they have to give you a boarding pass because of new rules about "bag/pax" have to stay together. I don't think you will have any problem getting a boarding pass from your origin of departure.
The bolded part is not true. I've had several recent cases (within the past six months) where AA was able to tag the bag through to HKG but couldn't print CX boarding passes for whatever reason. The bag does have to travel with the pax, but it's simply a matter of showing the AA-issued baggage number to CX staff when you check-in to get the CX BP.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Minimum connection times at ORD DL to CX
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ORD
Incoming airline DL
Outgoing airline CX
Flight type Domestic to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .50  1.15  1.30  1.30
OFFLINE   .50  1.15  1.30  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
**-CX DI  1.30
I'm not sure that Delta would be able to issue a CX boarding pass. Why doesn't the OP fly AA to ORD and book all of this together on one ticket and then be protected in case of a misconnect? AA should be able to issue the CX boarding pass if on one ticket at DTW.

Also there was a problem with online check-in with CX with a mobile boarding pass not being generated; most people could still print a boarding pass though. OP, have you tried printing a BP?

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 10, 2014 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:56 pm

I echo the AA suggestion. The schedules look good for connecting to/from 807/806, and even if you book on separate tickets, both AA and CX are generally pretty good about accommodating misconnects if you're connecting between oneworld carriers.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
What lounge options are there in T5? Wife and I will be doing pretty much the same thing in December. MNL HKG ORD in J on CX, then ORD PIT in F on DL.

Considering getting a hotel the day of arrival at ORD and flying out on DL the next morning, same in reverse, fly PIT ORD on DL, overnight at a hotel, then ORD HKG MNL the next day on CX J.

Any thoughts? Easier or more hassle? FWIW, DL Diamond, making the switch to CX for all my TPACs. I fly MNL NRT ATL PIT about once a month on DL business class. Excited to try CX J.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485
What lounge options are there in T5? Wife and I will be doing pretty much the same thing in December. MNL HKG ORD in J on CX, then ORD PIT in F on DL.

Considering getting a hotel the day of arrival at ORD and flying out on DL the next morning, same in reverse, fly PIT ORD on DL, overnight at a hotel, then ORD HKG MNL the next day on CX J.

Any thoughts? Easier or more hassle? FWIW, DL Diamond, making the switch to CX for all my TPACs. I fly MNL NRT ATL PIT about once a month on DL business class. Excited to try CX J.
At the moment I believe your only option are the BA lounges unless you have Priority Pass or some other means of accessing other options.

Why not book the domestic flights on AA? The schedule allows manageable connection times in ORD, and you have the option of booking on one ticket through CX, which protects you in case of irrops. It makes for a long flying day in Y or PEY, but in J should be ok.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
At the moment I believe your only option are the BA lounges unless you have Priority Pass or some other means of accessing other options.

Why not book the domestic flights on AA? The schedule allows manageable connection times in ORD, and you have the option of booking on one ticket through CX, which protects you in case of irrops. It makes for a long flying day in Y or PEY, but in J should be ok.
No status with AA, DIamond Medallion with DL, If we fly AA in F from ORD PIT ORD, would we have access to the AA lounges there at ORD? We already have our CX tickets, can the AA F tickets be added on if we purchase online? What type of equipment is AA using for ORD PIT?

How is the BA J lounge at ORD. Food options?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by craig44485
No status with AA, DIamond Medallion with DL, If we fly AA in F from ORD PIT ORD, would we have access to the AA lounges there at ORD? We already have our CX tickets, can the AA F tickets be added on if we purchase online? What type of equipment is AA using for ORD PIT?

How is the BA J lounge at ORD. Food options?
If you're willing to pay whatever fare AA is charging for F on that route, you can book and then call both carriers to have them note the PNRs in each record. I think rebooking as one ticket MNL-HKG-ORD-PIT might require a reissue since you're changing the routing. But AA has a policy of accommodating missed connections from other oneworld carriers even on separate PNRs.

If you're on a CX longhaul in J, you can use the AA lounges at ORD both coming and going without oneworld status. On the way to PIT, just show them your CX boarding pass and your onward AA boarding pass. On the way back to Asia, show them the CX boarding pass. (Although they've let me in in the past merely with a e-ticket receipt for the onward CX flight when I couldn't print out the CX BPs ahead of time.) They'll give you some chits for free premium drinks.

The BA J lounge is nothing to write home about. No windows and mediocre food selection. The food onboard will be ample, though. In your shoes, I'd stay in the AA lounge until 1.5 hours before departure then make my way to T5, where you get priority security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.