Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J/PEY Fanfares offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the FT front, I can report better success with today's CX Fanfares crazy sale.

I bagged a Chicago (E) ticket within 90 minutes. On BAEC, that's a healthy return of miles and TPs thankfully.

It was pretty hard going today I have to say, but too many people attempted to buy the most popular destinations like London and New York.

After my EWK bids sold, I quickly checked a Chicago date and no queue at all, just an open-bidding process and I landed my tickets with the fastest payment first.

To be honest, I am excited yet subdued about Chicago. I've never been to the East Coast, so it might be a great time to do a TP run in the US.

Last edited by SinoBritAsia; Aug 26, 2014 at 3:37 am Reason: Extra detail
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
On the FT front, I can report better success with today's CX Fanfares crazy sale.

I bagged a Chicago (E) ticket within 90 minutes. On BAEC, that's a healthy return of miles and TPs thankfully.

It was pretty hard going today I have to say, but too many people attempted to buy the most popular destinations like London and New York.

After my EWK bids sold, I quickly checked a Chicago date and no queue at all, just an open-bidding process and I landed my tickets with the fastest payment first.

To be honest, I am excited yet subdued about Chicago. I've never been to the East Coast, so it might be a great time to do a TP run in the US.
lucky ........ ^
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:59 am

On BAEC, that's a healthy return of miles and TPs thankfully.
Indeed it is but I thought the T&Cs for this deal stated that your HK registered Asia Miles account must be applied to the ticket?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TEX277
Indeed it is but I thought the T&Cs for this deal stated that your HK registered Asia Miles account must be applied to the ticket?
I wonder? Is it the same with every Fanfares deal? If so, then I've had no problems with BAEC mileage accrual from CX.

Since this is an E class ticket, it should be a total of 200TPs and about 17,000 miles. Can they shift the goalposts on the class of tickets? I'm not qualified to answer.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze

Well done on your catch. Though on this point I think you over-simplify. It wasn't a case of a popularity issue on certain routes. I was trying SYD, TPE and CEB from 7:55am till 11am. Don't try and tell me CEB was just too popular, especially when it was still showing "availability" almost 3 hours after I started fishing for it. The whole thing was shambolic. The above post calling this a muppetfest was spot on. I was a fool to participate in this rat race. I also didn't realise being a coder was a qualification for landing a bargain, but you live and learn.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I predicted at least one of us would win, and that person is YOU.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:47 am

I logged in at 7.57, looking for OSaka and was able to "pay" but then i didnt because the dates did not match and after some thoughts, i exited the booking. i thought it was working fine from my side.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:48 am

Looks like I missed out!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Seems like browsers on mobile devices had a better time with yesterday's fanfare:

http://www.e-zone.com.hk/channelnews.php?id=1793
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...40826/52833505

The e-zone reporter got kul with an android chrome. A friend of a friend got lhr with an ipad. Apple reports a passenger with getting BKK with chrome.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:14 pm

Press coverage this morning isn't too horrible:

http://news.stheadline.com/dailynews.../27/298916.asp
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40826/18844668
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
None of the dates were to my liking.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:00 am

SCMP 140827 - It's not fare! Cathay leaves thousands disappointed with HK$100 ticket

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/art...eap-fares-scam

Cathay Pacific's plan to please travellers with HK$100 business and premium economy tickets degenerated into a public relations disaster when it left tens of thousands of people disappointed yesterday.

Tho the article itself was criticised on SCMP's FB https://m.facebook.com/southchinamor...52645225964820
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:13 pm

I wonder? Is it the same with every Fanfares deal? If so, then I've had no problems with BAEC mileage accrual from CX.

Since this is an E class ticket, it should be a total of 200TPs and about 17,000 miles. Can they shift the goalposts on the class of tickets? I'm not qualified to answer.
But do the normal fanfares have the following T&Cs?

Eligible for member residing in Hong Kong and Macau only. Residency is determined by the registered member’s preferred mailing address as registered with Asia Miles.

Membership number must be entered in the booking before the commencement of first sector of the trip.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:04 pm

In today's SCMP:

Cyber queue-jumper snapped up HK$100 Cathay tickets while 150,000 waited in line

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...rt-cathay-sale
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
HK$100 J flights queue jumper

Was this an FTer?

A Hong Kong-based frequent flyer has revealed how he turned cyber-queue jumper, snapping up a pair of cheap Cathay Pacific flights to New York while 150,000 frustrated buyers spent hours trying in vain for a bargain.

Describing the HK$100 flights to some of the world's most desirable destinations as an "amazing deal", the buyer - a lawyer - explained to the Post how he exploited loopholes in Cathay's online ticket system. He asked to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals.

Cathay has pledged to investigate, but the buyer's revelations will fuel claims of unfairness after tens of thousands missed out on the cut-price premium economy and business-class tickets offered in a special edition of Cathay's "Fanfares" promotion. Angry customers besieged Cathay's social media sites with tales of waiting for hours only to be told all 2,014 special fares had gone on Tuesday morning.

The savvy traveller, in his 30s, said he was able to find the tickets he wanted by "playing around" with the system after the website told him there were no flights left to New York on his chosen date.

"It's weird because the software was smart enough to tell me the ticket was sold out, but the fact it got me to a booking screen told me the ticket was there but that there was an IT issue preventing the payment from being started," he said.

He realised the web address in his browser showed the information the website was sending to the airline's servers, including the destination, date and fare deal he had chosen.
DON'T MISS: Gadget that stops the passenger in front from reclining their seat sees soaring sales

Figuring he had nothing to lose, he began typing different numbers in for the fare ID and trying it in a separate browser. With a little trial and error, he was able to get the fare and flight he wanted while other buyers faced "sold out" notices.

"I relied on the fact that the main Fanfares homepage showed you which fares were sold out," the man said. "So I picked a date that wasn't sold out.

"But what surprised me was that I was offered a fare that [was shown as sold out] but was available for selection in the system."

Once he received his confirmation email, he realised his booking and payment had been accepted by the airline.

Cathay, which set up the promotion to celebrate being named the "world's best airline" by British aviation consultancy Skytrax, said it had noted "discussions on social media about the use of improper access in the booking of tickets", which it "took seriously" and would investigate immediately.

The company said it reviewed its procedures after every one of its weekly Fanfare promotions and would do so again.

Explaining his method in more detail, the traveller said: "Because I did it manually rather than automatically clicking a button, it doesn't change the functionality. It wasn't secret administrative access but I was able to do what other people weren't able to do."

The man believes he did nothing illegal as he did not overload or manipulate the system but instead used a loophole within the parameters Cathay had set up.

Leung Siu-cheung, a senior consultant at the Hong Kong Computer Emergency Response Team, said: "He did not hack into the system, he just corrupted the data. He has taken advantage of a grey area."

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...rt-cathay-sale
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as How one buyer got a flying start in Cathay sale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.