Search

Birthday Trip suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Birthday Trip suggestion

Hi guys,

I am planning for my birthday trip in early January. I hope to get birthday upgrade as 2 years ago.

any suggestion for trip ex-SIN for Friday to Sunday trip?

As I hope to get upgraded to biz, the trip ex-HKG should be may be at least 2-3 hours (max 4 hours may be).

What I can think off so far is NRT/KIX/FUK/ICN/PEK/PVG

Any other suggestion?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Do you really want to spend your birthday flying somewhere just in the hope of being upgraded?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i'd pick somewhere i'd want to go. if you dont get the opup u still get a trip out of it. and for my experience, i'd pick FUK on the TPE onestop or ICN for best compup opportunities. do note some flights with PE might screw up ur compup. esp to KIX. where sometimes 3 of 4 flights have PE. sometimes only 1 (506/507 are 90% with PE cuz its operated by 747 or one of the 77Ws. the redeye may get 33Z, and 568/569 are sometimes subbed by a LH frame. the 1-stop is usually a 772 so gets sucky NRBC)
if you fly to PEK/PVG then get the CX metal since they have better bodies... but what give yourself a break and stay away from china for ur bday. you dont need the stress there.
for NRT/HND... ticket in J so you may get the longest regional F in the system.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I went to BKK on my birthday one year from SIN. Bought Y, travelled in Y. CX would not upgrade me because I was a lowly green MPC even though hold OW Sapphire.

So for the next year, I redeemed a F ticket YVR-HKG-BKK. That is the only way to travel on my birthday.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Are you a SL? I got upgraded once when I was a SL a few years back - but that's probably because I have BN1, so I'd suggest aiming for that just to "play safe".

Check-in staff was wondering why I got upgraded from Y to J and then mentioned "ah...i see, you got BN1 and it's your bday...".
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Do you really want to spend your birthday flying somewhere just in the hope of being upgraded?
Yes and no. I always go for holiday on my borthday. It will be nice if I get the upgrade though.

I travelled to PVG last year andgot upgraded on both legs.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chfshifter
Are you a SL? I got upgraded once when I was a SL a few years back - but that's probably because I have BN1, so I'd suggest aiming for that just to "play safe".

Check-in staff was wondering why I got upgraded from Y to J and then mentioned "ah...i see, you got BN1 and it's your bday...".
Yes I am just SL. I got upgraded on my birthday last year and the agent clearly mentioned it was borthday upgrade.

On my HKG-PVG, the crews even gave me a box of chocolates and birthday card signed by all the crews.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Why would you want to fly on your birthday?

I get it if you have something important you would flight there and it may fall on your birthday, but purposely doing it sounds kind of silly.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Always up in the air

Originally Posted by alphaod

I get it if you have something important you would flight there and it may fall on your birthday, but purposely doing it sounds kind of silly.

On my birthday, major holidays as well. Perhaps inferences can be drawn re my "home" situation, okay. I simply love the experience, admittedly sweetened by sitting up front, BC lounges, etc.

Didn't know about CX birthday upgrades: perhaps my J flights HNK-NRT-HNG-LAX can be upgraded to F. CX, are you listening?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jake108
Didn't know about CX birthday upgrades: perhaps my J flights HNK-NRT-HNG-LAX can be upgraded to F. CX, are you listening?
CX will only upgrade you if you're MPC SL and above. OWE doesn't cut it as the op up is done 'internally' with links to the MPC member.

Read this for more info -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...light=birthday
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod

What's wrong with flying on someone birthday?

I think going for birthday "holiday" trip is not in anyway as crazy as people doing MR.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
I was travelling back to HK from BKK on my bday last month, I was opupped to J bypassing EY.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
i'd pick somewhere i'd want to go. if you dont get the opup u still get a trip out of it. and for my experience, i'd pick FUK on the TPE onestop or ICN for best compup opportunities. do note some flights with PE might screw up ur compup. esp to KIX. where sometimes 3 of 4 flights have PE. sometimes only 1 (506/507 are 90% with PE cuz its operated by 747 or one of the 77Ws. the redeye may get 33Z, and 568/569 are sometimes subbed by a LH frame. the 1-stop is usually a 772 so gets sucky NRBC)
if you fly to PEK/PVG then get the CX metal since they have better bodies... but what give yourself a break and stay away from china for ur bday. you dont need the stress there.
for NRT/HND... ticket in J so you may get the longest regional F in the system.
Thanks kaka. FUK may be a good choice.

I will check NRT/HND J price and see if it is "reasonable" for my pocket.

In the case the flight has PE, does it mean no Birthday upgrade to J? I remember my PVG flight was on the new J class B77W which means there is PE, but I still get op up to J.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chentaiman
I was travelling back to HK from BKK on my bday last month, I was opupped to J bypassing EY.
good to know this.

I also remember my HKG-PVG was having Y+ and I got upgraded to J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.