Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum (For Life), Royal Orchid Sliver
I think perhaps everyone is getting a little confused between the old BN number and the new sequence number in essence they are identical if you're the first person to check in for the flight you will get sequence number 001 just as you before you got BN # 001 the difference now is that the sequence number is no longer used as a tiebreak between two equally placed DM members for instance that would be the secret CIV score that would determine who would get the upgrade.

I do remember about a year ago seeing the check in agents screen and seeing Alfa Diamond next to my profile and Delta Diamond next to my business partners profile, perhaps a simplified CIV score has always existed.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Siamstationed

I do remember about a year ago seeing the check in agents screen and seeing Alfa Diamond next to my profile and Delta Diamond next to my business partners profile, perhaps a simplified CIV score has always existed.
Interesting, ranking DMs as Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
here are some anecdotes for context. I think I've flown 7 sectors with the new system in the last 1+ month.

2X KA short haul: both A330. Booked in Y class
2X CX short haul: both 33G. Booked in Y class
2X CX long haul: both 77H. Booked in J class
1x CX medium/long haul: 33G. Booked in J class

I scored upgrades on one of my KA flights (Y-J), and one of my CX short hauls (Y-PEY). So 2/7 total flights or 2/6 possible flights (since 33G med/long haul was already booked in highest class). This is roughly in line with my historical op-up rate. And perhaps even more pleasant, I haven't done OLCI for most of these flights, yet I still received op-ups when I was one of the last guys to check-in. I can't complain about that!

Reading through this thread, it seems like the changes aren't as bad as I initially envisioned. Provided this CIV is just a tie-breaking mechanism among tiers, I don't really have a beef. My guess is I'll lose out a little because I often fly discounted J class. But it ends the silly hovering over computers at 2am or whatnot, and is probably a fairer mechanism. If CX goes the route, however of bumping GOs or SLs or other OW members over a higher tier, that is going to significantly devalue tangible benefits (regardless if "unpublished"). Only time will tell if that's happening but I'm sure we'll eventually figure out.

I'm more peeved in another thread about the loss of seat blocking, which I'm still hoping is just agents unfamiliar with a new system.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:07 am

Yep. Looks like the new civ system is in full swing and that explains my lack of op-up in all domestic China flights via KA (used to be op-up all the time). Just flew a short-haul full, seem another person got op-up, not me.

Regardless, I would agree this tie-breaker based on revenue makes sense. CX do want to make good unpublished gestures towards people that contributes the most revenues. Yes, it spares the pain of waiting till 1 a.m. and hoping to get that luxurious BN1.

Hopefully my future PEY long-hauls will bump me up a bit in the CIV scores.. heh heh.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Agree that seems CIV system is not as worse as what was anticipated before...

But I was keep thinking if individual flight revenue is used as tier tie-breaker rather than cumulative revenue to CX (i.e. Y will score the upgrade before B, H, K...) would this be even more fair... After all I class can, price-wise, as cheap as K sometimes...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
Agree that seems CIV system is not as worse as what was anticipated before...

But I was keep thinking if individual flight revenue is used as tier tie-breaker rather than cumulative revenue to CX (i.e. Y will score the upgrade before B, H, K...) would this be even more fair... After all I class can, price-wise, as cheap as K sometimes...
I think the answer to that is we don't know. Remember, so far everything is our guesses here. Yes, I would agree if CX is only comparing fare classes rather than actual revenue, that would be an oversight. However, we don't really know.

Based on all the information posted here I gather it's something like this:

1) Each person has a CIV score

2) Your CIV score is constantly changing based on the amount of money you paid CX (assuming revenue is the dominant variable among many variables, so I will only use this as an example)

3) Say a person flies J long-haul and Y short-haul, his CIV score ends up 56.6; another person in the same span of time flies PEY long-haul and Y short-haul, his CIV score is 40.5

4) So if they travel together in short-haul Y (same cabin), the op-up will op-up 56.6 over against 40.5

5) However, say the first flyer took a break from traveling, but the second flier kept traveling, and overtime raises his CIV score to 57.1

6) Next time they travel together in short-haul Y and op-up is needed, the second flier gets the nod from the system first.

Just my guess how this works (very liberal estimate). My guess is it's total revenue contributed to CX that is the most dominating variable. Not just a simple comparison of what class fare you're traveling.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
very shallow minded comparison. The point of argument is not whether F/J flying 120K is more valuable then Y flying 120K, anyone knows that. The point of argument is that CX is aliening many frequent fliers away from CX by reducing benefits. If the massive amount of Y fliers, which I would argue are the ones that truly sustains an airline, not F/J (try to start a high-value F-J only airline, usually it goes bankrupt within a year), then it hurts CX's bottom line. F/J fliers tend to jump ship quick (i.e. switch from flying SQ, CX, BA, ANA, etc.) Y fliers tend to be the loyal bunch.
Not sure who is shallow in their argument but curious to know how do you make a statement that F/J fliers tend to jump ship quick? Didn't know you had first hand experience on this (and your ops ups don't count! ).
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by bagold
Not sure who is shallow in their argument but curious to know how do you make a statement that F/J fliers tend to jump ship quick? Didn't know you had first hand experience on this (and your ops ups don't count! ).
Well, for example the few F travelers here are very liberal in flying CX or SQ (and telling us so here about it). Being CX DM and F only flier doesn't compel them to exclusively fly CX. Which makes sense.

However, for CX SL fliers, they are compel to exclusively fly CX to maintain status.

Should a major corporation like CX value massive number of CX SL fliers that is very loyal to CX, or a few premium fliers that generally don't feel compel to have to stick with CX (due to variety of reasons.)

This is not an either/or question, but CX should find a both/and solution. CX wants to cut cost to raise profit, fine, but be careful what they are cutting. History has shown when corporations aren't careful in cutting costs associated with services given, it usually results in decline of revenue higher than amounts of cost cut. Which equals more reduction in profits.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Well, for example the few F travelers here are very liberal in flying CX or SQ (and telling us so here about it). Being CX DM and F only flier doesn't compel them to exclusively fly CX. Which makes sense.

However, for CX SL fliers, they are compel to exclusively fly CX to maintain status.

Should a major corporation like CX value massive number of CX SL fliers that is very loyal to CX, or a few premium fliers that generally don't feel compel to have to stick with CX (due to variety of reasons.)

This is not an either/or question, but CX should find a both/and solution. CX wants to cut cost to raise profit, fine, but be careful what they are cutting. History has shown when corporations aren't careful in cutting costs associated with services given, it usually results in decline of revenue higher than amounts of cost cut. Which equals more reduction in profits.
Just done KUL-HKG and get op-up. According to ground staff at KUL, they already adapted to the new system.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Has anyone noticed status being left of manifest after change?

I've had 3 flights in the last month when my DM status wasn't noted on the crew seat chart. I was on that chart as a non-status pax. I usually poke my head in the galley during flights, and on all three of these I saw other guys with "DM" and "GO" etc, as is standard, but my status was absent. Also had similar service like no early meal order, no ISM greeting, no SP greeting, FAs don't really bother with you like they do if you're DM, etc. I've had this happen before once in a blue moon (maybe once every 50 flights), but in the last month after the switch I've had it happen in 3 out of 7 flights. Doesn't seem coincidental?

I also witnessed a situation two days ago on CX. I was upgraded to PEY, and in the cabin I witness another pax asking why the ISM hadn't been to see him yet. I presume he was DM. And I think he was maybe experiencing the same thing? Possibility it was just a bad crew, but he asked to see the ISM and wanted to know why another passenger had been greeted but not him. I'm not going there way too embarrassing.

This same situation happened to me on another flight where I'd been op-upped, and a third where I bought Y and stayed in Y. All short-haul flights. Obviously since I'm getting op-upped, my status is somewhere in the system but it's getting lost between airport and on-board.

Anyone else had this issue? I don't care about the greeting, but do enjoy the bottled water and first meal choices (and generally better service) in Y when I'm noted as a DM.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:37 am

Used to get greeted by CX as a OWS but no longer at the recent flight. Not upgraded although I was offered to rebook on an earlier SQ flight ex SIN.

Flown short haul Y on CX about 4 times a year and long haul on QR about 3 times a year. Likely to have a low CIV score.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:41 am

Incidentally, my friend who flew SIN-BKK was op up to Biz and he was on economy full revenue ticket. No FFP and only checked in at the airport.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288

Anyone else had this issue? I don't care about the greeting, but do enjoy the bottled water and first meal choices (and generally better service) in Y when I'm noted as a DM.
Interesting. I do notice on occasion I don't get anything and I just chalk that off as a bad ISM and crew. Now that you mention this.....
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by tboons
Used to get greeted by CX as a OWS but no longer at the recent flight.
I'd get a greeting like one-eighth of the time as a GO.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
9 out of 10 flights I get a greeting on average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.