Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:57 am

I was op up as an OWS on CX flight, my SEC was 70+ as i could not check in online. The economy was way overbooked. The guy beside me was CX silver and also upgraded. From his experience, he had booked PEY on previous 2 occasions and upgraded to J on all both occasions. He tried to book PEY for this trip but then it was sold out so had to book Y. As expected, he was op up too.

The flight was DOH-HKG, and this leg tends to overbook on both CX and QR flights, both ways.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Siamstationed
Last year I was managing a 70% op up from J to F it will be interesting to see how it changes this year, having done some research into agency guys company, it would seem that they have some old BA hands on board, this is currently how the BA CIV scoring works:

This is the current scoring system (out of 105):
0-5 points – banding for Blue BAEC members
6-13 points – banding for Bronze BAEC members
14-35 points – banding for Silver BAEC members
36-96 points – a surprisingly wide banding for Gold BAEC members
97 points – Gold Guest List members (basic level)
98 points – Key Decision Makers
99 points – a Key Decision Maker who is also Gold Guest List
100 points – Lifetime Gold Guest List and higher tier Gold Guest List members
105 points – Premier (a special BAEC membership level usually reserved for people who control major travel budgets for corporates.

I would suspect that CX will be using a similar system perhaps?
Hello Siamstationed (and FTers),
Just saw this discussion now.
Not sure what 98 point "key decision makers" (above) refers to. Would that be someone like yourself as you mentioned you have a bcode (I don't know what that is but assume it means you have a special rate/code for booking your team/clients)? Or does it mean CEOs of big companies?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:14 pm

bcode is how CX tracks spending of corporate deals, the travel agent adds a code to the ticket that says which company bought it.

My guess 'key decision maker' = someone who can decide other people's spend. E.g. owner of an SME who may not fly that much themselves, but can decide how her staff fly...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: CX
Got double op-up today on HKG to JFK. Checked in for Y at T-48 and got upgraded to PEY at T-24. When I dropped my bags at HKIA, was notified I was upgraded to J. I was on a V-class ticket.

Wonder how the new system plays out in this case?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Interesting experience today so bringing this sunk discussion back up...

HKG - PVG, full Y (end up seems there's one or two empty seat, possibly resulting from not showing up at last), around 7 DM on board per the advance meal order note before take off

When queuing up for boarding, in front of me were two foreigners with J BP, and one Hong Kong SL lady with Y BP. They three are a party and likely checking in together. And yes, this lucky SL got the op-up. After boarding seems their travel party is bigger than 2 J + 1 Y (as they discussed happily on board)

So seems who you check in with together also play a vital role in the op-up decision...

p.s. Mine is full fare Y, check-in at HKG at T-95 mins, SEC indicating that I am the last 2x passenger to check-in

p.p.s. I (and my GR friend, V class GV2) just got double up in the round trip FUK just before this flight... So this may also play a role in the op-up decision... I don't know...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
Interesting experience today so bringing this sunk discussion back up...

HKG - PVG, full Y (end up seems there's one or two empty seat, possibly resulting from not showing up at last), around 7 DM on board per the advance meal order note before take off

When queuing up for boarding, in front of me were two foreigners with J BP, and one Hong Kong SL lady with Y BP. They three are a party and likely checking in together. And yes, this lucky SL got the op-up. After boarding seems their travel party is bigger than 2 J + 1 Y (as they discussed happily on board)

So seems who you check in with together also play a vital role in the op-up decision...

p.s. Mine is full fare Y, check-in at HKG at T-95 mins, SEC indicating that I am the last 2x passenger to check-in

p.p.s. I (and my GR friend, V class GV2) just got double up in the round trip FUK just before this flight... So this may also play a role in the op-up decision... I don't know...
This is preciously the situation that will get people to resent CX. Have a clear cut rule so people don't have to guess what's going on behind the scenes. Checking-in together with J shouldn't play a role, then again I wouldn't conclude anything about CX nowadays....
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This is preciously the situation that will get people to resent CX. Have a clear cut rule so people don't have to guess what's going on behind the scenes. Checking-in together with J shouldn't play a role, then again I wouldn't conclude anything about CX nowadays....
I've been op-up while check in with J pax before while myself travelling in Y (no Y+), impossible to tell if I would have been op-up anyway without them.

I've also had a GR check in with me, and they have been upgraded because of me (agent told me that they were able to upgrade my spouse as well). But that was many years ago and not under the new system.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
I've been op-up while check in with J pax before while myself travelling in Y (no Y+), impossible to tell if I would have been op-up anyway without them.

I've also had a GR check in with me, and they have been upgraded because of me (agent told me that they were able to upgrade my spouse as well). But that was many years ago and not under the new system.
Spouse I think is good, it shows CX cares about family traveling together. (Then again why would one person buy J ticket for himself and Y for his wife...) But yes, if it's double-op-up because you are with spouse, it's good business.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:48 pm

Spouse I think is good, it shows CX cares about family traveling together. (Then again why would one person buy J ticket for himself and Y for his wife...) But yes, if it's double-op-up because you are with spouse, it's good business.
Ahem, I should rephrase. They said they would upgrade my spouse with me. The person I was travelling with wasn't actually my spouse, but I did not correct them. We just happened to share the same surname and were of opposite sex and similar ages!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Does CX track all passengers or just MPC members?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by festriaqua
Does CX track all passengers or just MPC members?
Probably all FFP. They probably track people like you based on your AA FFP number. Others with no FFP at all, I wonder how reliably they can track. I guess combination of name, nationality, and DOB should be unique enough for tracking revenue scores.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I disagree. If there is a rule, then the rule should be that you should not presume to have any op-up. Creating a rule then creates some presumption that you will get an upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I disagree. If there is a rule, then the rule should be that you should not presume to have any op-up. Creating a rule then creates some presumption that you will get an upgrade.
Well, CX can definitely choose to go to the route of SQ, absolutely no op-up.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by midlevels
Probably all FFP. They probably track people like you based on your AA FFP number. Others with no FFP at all, I wonder how reliably they can track. I guess combination of name, nationality, and DOB should be unique enough for tracking revenue scores.
Given the number and frequency of op-ups when I was a HK-based BA Emerald flying very frequently on Cathay, I'm pretty sure they must be tracking all FFP.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I have to say that I got my first upgrade to F from LAX three weeks ago--got called out at the gate. Not the best service, but I did sleep well. :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.