Wiki Posts
Search

Refundabe V fare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
Refundabe V fare?

Wondering if anyone has any advice on whether or not my ticket will be refunded (minues the fee) ?

I bought an online ticket one way , HKG-LHR. It's a V-fare, economy saver.

During the booking process it mentions a HK$1200 fee to cancel.

However the eticket says "NON-REF" (extract below).

I called them and they said it has to be emailed to [email protected] and only then can they decide.

I dont understand the secrecy. I need to cancel the trip now (that's why I made sure I had the refundable option in the first place!)

Thank you
-----------------------

ENDORSEMENTS : T5 NON-END/NON-RERTE NON-REF TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY
TOUR CODE : HKG0220FF500
PAYMENT : CC

FARE CALCULATION :HKG CX LON Q4.25 802.19NUC806.44END ROE7.753710
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Play the hard ball with them, say that you bought the fare ONLY after seeing that it was refundable on the web. And if they deny, threaten to call the press and say that they are not honoring a ticket rule they sold you for that price.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
It is standard to put NONREF in E/O for non-published fares. If you are certain that you see that it is refundable with 1200HKD penalty, then you should be fine.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
Thanks guys. I have a screen shot of the online booking screen, I guess that will be persuasive.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:49 pm

Just checked a V fare itinerary I have (though not all V-fares are made the same...)

*REFUND CHARGE HKD600 FOR TOTALLY UNUSE TICKET ONLY* <-------
*NONENDORSABLE / NONREROUTABLE / NONREFUNDABLE *

So - NONREFUNDABLE may not always mean non refundable.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I'm pretty sure NONREFUNDABLE strictly means you may not cancel without penalty. You should check the cancellation/refund section of the fare rules for the exact rule
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'm about to book "Economy Core" within Asia (V fare) online.

I'm totally aware of the refund penalty, the questions are:

1. How soon do I need to request refund before departure of the first segment? Just hours before the first flight?

2. Can this be done online easily through "Manage My Booking" rather than talking to an agent on the phone or at ticket office? (assuming all flights segments are with CX and KA)

Thanks again for the tip.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You can do this on the web. Just make sure you don't check in.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by alphaod
You can do this on the web. Just make sure you don't check in.
Actually that is not right. Even if passenger has checked in, he may still cancel. He just needs to tell CX to un-check him first, and then cancel the ticket.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Actually that is not right. Even if passenger has checked in, he may still cancel. He just needs to tell CX to un-check him first, and then cancel the ticket.
Right, but to do it online, can't check in.

Once checked in you would need to call them, as you've mentioned, and once you're on the phone you might as well have them cancel it.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Similar topic -- I called to refund/cancel a ticket that I booked online.
The rep said I have to call the internet service line to do that.
I called but the recording said the hold time was very long and I should email, then disconnected automatically on me.
I went back to the website and did the cancellation online.
Just to confirm, I called the reservations line again -- this time, the agent said that I should not have canceled online.. and that the refund is not processing automatically.. and I have to call the internet service line again, which still has the recording / auto-hangup. I sent my details to [email protected], as that seems like the only option now. Any idea as to what other options I have?

Update - tried calling the HK call center and they supposedly processed the refund. Fingers crossed.

Update 2 - no response from [email protected] despite multiple e-mails. What a joke.
The e-service phone line is always busy, too many callers, and it hangs up on you.
the only option is to dial hong kong and wait on hold for 30 minutes minimum.
Actually, no.. the only option to disputing the charge. thank goodness for chargebacks.

Last edited by izzik; Oct 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.