Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Christmas warning: Thieves stealing hand baggage on Dragonair flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas warning: Thieves stealing hand baggage on Dragonair flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
should there be lockable lockers for Long haul cabins?
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think this problem has been under reported. It may not have gotten much attention until lately because of so called 'gangs'. But my cousin was once robbed of several thousand euros when he was in the Business Class cabin of BA. He had placed his baggage on the overhead compartment. But someone came by in the night when the cabin was dimmed and said he needed to get something in the overhead compartment and just sort of rifled through several bags.

You wouldn't think that anyone would do that.. but did.

Of course by the time he realised anything .. in the morning just prior to landing when he went to get his passport in his carryon. He reported to BA but as this was a 'new' incident, and what else can the crew do? His word only..?

So... moral now is - lock your carryon, or use no name brand carry ons that may not look too inviting.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Do we know which routes are more prone to stealing? Obviously, as one poster mentioned previously, flights to destinations that require visa (or have more stringent visa requirements) may be less likely to harbour thieves. However, even for mainland flights, the risk of thieves onboard is not uniform. And there are many mainland destinations that KA flies to. Which of those destinations pose more of a risk to on-board stealing? And more broadly, beyond the mainland and CX/KA, what other flights in the world do you think has a higher danger of on-board thieves?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
This is why airlines should force people to put their own stuff in the space about their seat. Too many people [who board first] like to throw their bags into the first space they see, often which in the front of the cabin.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:25 am
Suspended

Take it as a grain of salt - as it's a public Facebook post after all, but there was a pax few weeks back complaining her laptop was stolen in-flight...to JFK.

Long haul + (possibly) need of VISA

https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...67553003388409
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I put all my essentials (boarding passes, passport, wallet, and so forth) into an old amenity kit and keep it next to me. Doesn't look valuable, but it does mean that if there is an emergency, there is only one thing I need to grab - and it's right next to me.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
One arrest for theft on KA Dhaka-HKG

國泰商務客是機艙老鼠 偷逾萬元財物

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...00822_001.html
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
As I mentioned in a previous post here, this is a perfect flight for thieves. I take this flight every 6 weeks or so, I will need to be careful.That said, I always sit in 10G, right in front of the forward galley, so maybe it is less risky...but still.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:12 pm

If this is really starting to be a problem, I think for F/J pax, for the amount of money they've paid, they deserve a lockable overhead. I know FAs will flow PEY/Y pax baggage to J side when it is overcrowded, but that's an issue that airlines are too lax in enforcing carry-ons. F/J should get dedicated use of their assigned overhead, with a key-lock that is only given to them. Of course the next challenge is to place your keys where it's safe when you sleep.....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:32 pm

搭港龍背囊寄倉 唔見3,000人仔
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...391&a=54044791
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
搭港龍背囊寄倉 唔見3,000人仔
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...391&a=54044791
背囊寄倉<-- are you kidding me....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: QF WP
背囊寄倉 唔見3,000人仔
Probably not a good idea having that much cash checked in, no matter which country or airline.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:09 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
背囊寄倉 唔見3,000人仔
Probably not a good idea having that much cash checked in, no matter which country or airline.
Exactly. I wonder what this guy was thinking
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:10 am

Another story.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8408004&type=1
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:02 pm

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law...ghts-hong-kong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.