Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

ex TPE I fares getting tighter as of Oct1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.

This is first hand info from CX insider in taipei. So they will be making it harder to use the ex TPE discounted J... some of the changes:

1) ex TPE "C" fares which you can use Diamond gurantee will increase by about 30-40k TWD making them unattractive.
2) ex TPE "I" fares will increase by 10k TWD so they are priced above ex HK Y+ fares (at some time u can buy I fares below Y+ ex HK!)
3) To prevent people like me based in HK flying to TPE, they will tighten some of the stop-over rules. For example Australia I fare currently allow 1 stopover outbound, but that will become no - stopover in both direction. Note that NA flights already don't allow stopover in HK....
4) the agent didn't mention but was told to "stay very low key" about the last segment of ex-TPE... sounds like they will find a way to police the "ditching of last segment" or prevent it...

If I was running the show, I would make ex-HK I fares so attractive for leisure travellers whilst keeping it off limit to business travellers. For example make the change fee with heavy penalty (say 5k-10k HKD for each change) which will rule out corporate users... OR make them minimum 3 nights stay (again make it business unfriendly). and make I-fare ineligible for companion fare, to prevent couple flying too cheaply.. There are ways to maximize ex-HK I class revenue without attracting business travellers. That way CX can fill I-seats with the niche market.

The problem is CX thinks ex-TPE I fares are diluting revenue and cx is "lossing out". They are wrong - these people would otherwise fly ex-HK Economy so CX do end up getting more revenue and probably higher yield... if pax are wealthy enough they would buy ex HK J fare without a blink, the type of guys who goes the trouble to fly to TPE to start their journey would happily purchase CX J out of HK, so why aren't they focused there.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:51 pm
Suspended

good step forward ^
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Big mistake if MH keeps pricing J to Australia at PE prices...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd

If I was running the show, I would make ex-HK I fares so attractive for leisure travellers whilst keeping it off limit to business travellers.

The problem is CX thinks ex-TPE I fares are diluting revenue and cx is "lossing out". They are wrong - these people would otherwise fly ex-HK Economy so CX do end up getting more revenue and probably higher yield... if pax are wealthy enough they would buy ex HK J fare without a blink, the type of guys who goes the trouble to fly to TPE to start their journey would happily purchase CX J out of HK, so why aren't they focused there.
^ completely agree.

i would definitely drop down to GO if I-class fares ex-TPE go away. all my shorthaul flights are revenue (longhaul flights are awards) - and i need those extra sectors doing turnarounds at TPE.

i don't mind paying ex-HKG J fares at all, but they wouldn't give me the extra sectors

perhaps they should just get rid of the ex-TPE I fares for longhaul?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:06 pm

Seems related - I am unable to price TPE-MNL with flexible travel date for business class for these 2 days.

However, I am able to get I class by selecting "must travel on these dates" and the price is TWD18,423 before tax and surcharges which, if I remember correctly, is higher than before.

Another strange thing is that I am unable to book TPE-PEK while avoiding Air China (as a CX/KA code share).
I cannot retrieve the fare rule from EF as well.

Last edited by LchChester; Sep 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
Oh no. Seems true. All the fares are higher and less flexible.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Big mistake if MH keeps pricing J to Australia at PE prices...
Not everyone wants to have a layover in KUL
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fakecd
2) ex TPE "I" fares will increase by 10k TWD so they are priced above ex HK Y+ fares (at some time u can buy I fares below Y+ ex HK!)
It's about the same price increase for ex-MNL I-class fares.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
i think there's a limit as to how much they can charge ex-TPE tickets. adding restrictions is easier and makes more commercial sense.

CX still needs to be competitive with BR and CI as they fly many routes direct (especially to Mainland China), and they also need to compete with airlines like SQ and EK (DXB-TPE direct from 2.2014 onwards).

so i'm still keeping my hopes up. i'll requalify for DM by Dec 2013, so my fingers are crossed for requalifying by Dec 2014.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Are ex-CMB fares affected?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
For the sake of repeating myself time and time again, they watch this forum and act on it, here we are again debating another perk lost and its because you all explain to CX what they are doing wrong
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
^
Originally Posted by mayodave
For the sake of repeating myself time and time again, they watch this forum and act on it, here we are again debating another perk lost and its because you all explain to CX what they are doing wrong
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
Yup. So cx is losing my business there. I rather pay a bit more to take Eva or transitasia from tpe to sin as it has no transit and the planes j class has better good choice and bigger seats unless I class fare difference is so enticing for me to buy it. So u might want to reconsider ur choice.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not everyone wants to have a layover in KUL
The additional SYD flight alleviates this (for SYD anyway)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yohy?!
The additional SYD flight alleviates this (for SYD anyway)
For j class CX is much better as MH uses the 330 which has the old products

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.