Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Mainland passenger may be Hong Kong-bound with bomb, Taiwan warns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...b-taiwan-warns

A mainland woman might be planning to board a flight from the mainland to Hong Kong with a bomb, Taiwanese authorities have warned.

Taiwan's airport police are on alert after receiving the intelligence from the island's National Security Bureau.

A source in Taiwan's airport police said the intelligence described the woman as being long-haired and that she might board a Dragonair or Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong today or tomorrow. The intelligence gave no further details.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:11 am

Very odd to give such specific information out - although i didn't actually see any quotes mentioning CX or KA by name?

Hopefully its a false alarm ^
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Wow very generic. Hope nothing comes of this.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
Very odd to give such specific information out - although i didn't actually see any quotes mentioning CX or KA by name?

Hopefully its a false alarm ^
It specifically mentions CX and KA as the targets.

CX and KA also confirm this http://inews.mingpao.com/htm/INews/2...6/gb51115y.htm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
It specifically mentions CX and KA as the targets.

CX and KA also confirm this http://inews.mingpao.com/htm/INews/2...6/gb51115y.htm
"A source in Taiwan's airport police" is not a quote.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
"A source in Taiwan's airport police" is not a quote.
but mouth of cx/ka spokesperson is
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:09 am

So the intelligence is that a passenger may board one of many airlines flying between China and HK, and all should be on alert. The SCMP, in an effort to get more clicks/sell more papers decides to mention only CX and KA. Or is that too easy an explanation?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:39 am

guys, we should not dismissed this lightly. Taiwan is not known as a nation that likes to put themselves out in the public like this. When they do, it must be serious. The report comes from Taiwan's National Security Bureau. Which is equivalent of the USA's CIA, a very serious top-secret gathering agency, they rarely, if never, let themselves exposed with an alert like this unless it's ultimately very serious.

My only surprise is HK authorities is treating this as a "low-level" threat. A friendly government's top secret gathering agency basically said they are 100% sure someone out there wants to blow up one of your planes in the next few days and you say this is "low-level" threat? Really? What's high-level for them? WWIII?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
guys, we should not dismissed this lightly. Taiwan is not known as a nation that likes to put themselves out in the public like this. When they do, it must be serious. The report comes from Taiwan's National Security Bureau. Which is equivalent of the USA's CIA, a very serious top-secret gathering agency, they rarely, if never, let themselves exposed with an alert like this unless it's ultimately very serious.

My only surprise is HK authorities is treating this as a "low-level" threat. A friendly government's top secret gathering agency basically said they are 100% sure someone out there wants to blow up one of your planes in the next few days and you say this is "low-level" threat? Really? What's high-level for them? WWIII?
I guess when it's HKG-PEK it'll be high for them.....
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

oh the hk govt? a few hongkies demonstrating in central (without breaking anything) would be uber max high alert - and they'd send all the cops to surround maybe a hundred demonstrators. all the priorities wrong. idiots.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
I guess when it's HKG-PEK it'll be high for them.....
they didnt say which flight - perhaps they did within the govt, but not at least to the public (rightly, i guess)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.